What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    some others have a different opinion on that charge time schedule..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    But that is the SAME link I put... :D :D :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: Now that's a thing of beauty. :)

As the battery tech becomes stronger, it will only get better. ;)

8. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    new york had electric transportation a long time ago it was called a trolley the subway the "el" and they eliminated two of the three for diesel belching buses ! they had better invent batteries that last a long time I couldn't imagine charging stations in NY at all the parking meters . it's hard enough to find a regular parking spot in the city ! in the suburbs where I live most hospitals and clinics have charging stations so yes you could get by with them out here but not in the city !

9. karlw

karlw MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2018
    I am undecided on whether my next car will be electric, but that doesn't mean I don't think the technology won't take off and be successful in the short term. I think gasoline powered transportation is definitely on its way out and will begin to accelerate.

The things that might make me want to go electric now:
    -Autopilot mode. I can move further away from the city and my commute becomes much less of a factor.
    -Autopilot able to drive better than any human in almost all situations. I don't think this will happen before a physics simulation is performed in real-time by the vehicle and the simulation is at the level of an animal's or better in almost all cases.

Have you guys seen the details on the new technology that TESLA will be getting from the merger with Maxwell? There are mixed views on the technology, but I see the technology as very promising. I am fairly confident it will deliver on all promises and more.

How ironic is it that Tesla and Maxwell, two exceptional minds with great understanding of energy, are joining to attempt to revolutionize how the world will generate and use energy. It's almost as if it was planned long ago.

I believe that TESLA now has a very real chance to be the dominant energy company of the century if the US government is ready to start investing in new energy, transportation, defence, etc. technologies.
    A very real transformation can happen if the transportation of all goods in the world starts becoming exponentially more efficient.
    TESLA has scale, breadth, automation, planning, forward thinking, synergy, public support, government deals, etc., on its side.
    The US could really inject its economy with needed infrastructure and defence spending, which it is considering.

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    electric cars are still a bust....someone here keeps promoting Tesla;) i would never trade the best electric car for a gas one for as long as theirs fuel in the world:)

11. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    A couple reasons I want an electric car, tired of getting reamed by the oil companies and much better maintenance intervals, almost no maintenance. To me environmental concerns are a side consideration. Granted power plants make pollution since they mostly run on natural gas, but the efficiency is much higher compared to burning gasoline in cars so it does reduce pollution right away to some extent. Also when clean power plants supplant dirty power plants it trickles down right away to cars too.

The downside with electric cars is the batteries don't last all that long and they're expensive to replace. There's also the range, once the charge is depleted you have to find a place to recharge for some time. Makes using them for long trips a bit of a headache. Hopefully these things will improve over time and when I am finally able to replace my gas car with an electric one the issues will be greatly mitigated.

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    MS_User - one would never expect anything less from a gov paid troll... :p :D :p

Chblock: batteries have been proven to last over a million miles, m8... ;)

But all things tech can improve and we all expect nothing less! :)

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #873 Joe C, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    The thing that holds me back on electric cars are the charge times, but a company in China called Nio has made it possible to build a battery change station and will replace the depleted battery with a fresh battery in 3 minutes. That idea could be a major game changer, after all... it's those batteries that are the major issues with ev cars
    All other battery operated devices use quick change batteries, why not do the same for cars? I could see pulling into a local batt station and coughing up $35. for a fresh 400 mile battery. (a rough estimate of what I pay for my current petrol fueled car)
    If Tesla wants to exceed in this business, they should take a serious note of what Nio is doing

14. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    im talking about performance wise u cant compare electric to the power and speed of a gas car.....im sure in the future 50 to 100 years from now electric cars will performance just like gas...but were very far from that. so u can keep your Tesla...i will be flying right by u in my V8;)

15. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
  16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    ... electric motors are way faster than petrol engines. A Tesla 3 can go from 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    but Tesla is a high end electric car not everyone can afford one....im talking about regular electric vehicles made by Toyota, Honda, Nissan for the regular consumers their slow and very under power and very small and cramp.

19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Never bothered to look into that, I have no interest in EV's at this current time either because of the batteries taking too long to charge and distance available between charges do not make EV's a viable car for me at this time.
    Now if they make an EV with quick change battery like my cordless drill, I'd consider something like that. Just slide out the old and pop in a fresh one appeals to me

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012