What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    This is what you said:

" performance wise u cant compare electric to the power and speed of a gas car."

That is a whole lotta old horse s**t, which makes you the only real HS-er around here, since HPs of EVs are superior to internal combustion engines. And if they are modified, they also cost a packet!

Many times cheaper Tesla models are consistently beating the very expensive ICEs, so WTF are you smokin'?!? :D :p :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    dude stop blurring the lines your trying to compare the performance of a super high end EV for the super rich compare to the regular EV out now in the market for the regular consumer....whats out their now for regular people dont come close to the best top of the line gas cars and the main topic here is the battery issues and the ability to be able to swap in the fly and of course cost for replacing a failing battery. again put the pipe down is damaging your mind.

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Myeahhh... I am blurring the lines and swapping the thesis, sure... :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you'd actually start thinking, it might help... :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: Everyone who is participating in this thread -is- thinking.

First and foremost, EVs have to "seamlessly integrate" into society. This means cost wise, as well
    as service wise.

We don't want to make a large cash investment to find that the infrastructure is not in place to support it.
    Not to mention that the oil companies are actively competing against the EV market.
    (I'm talking about the USA here.)

IMHO, big cities and local vehicles would be a great candidate for EV. Companies that use them could strategically place
    charging stations for use by their vehicle fleets. They will probably be doing their own fleet maintenance,
    so the cost would be absorbed by a corporation and get written off (Capital Equipment).

The average person can't afford to make such a cash expenditure, unless some sort of tax incentive is provided to
    allow the costs to be written off.

AFAIK, that doesn't exist at this time. Not in the USA anyway.

5. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    That's the problem with electric right now, cost and support. Barring those two things, there's generally not a compromise in performance between electric and gas. Though dollar for dollar there may still be at this point. That should change as EV tech improves. The performance ceiling is actually higher for electric than gas simply due to the difference in efficiency. It's a well known fact that IC engines are horribly inefficient.

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    The cost of operating an EV will rise as they become more popular. This free ride on charging up your EV car is not going to last, and then who knows how much the true cost of EV ownership will be.

7. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Is it free right now? Don't know since I've never owned an EV. I can't imagine they won't start metering that stuff for a fee at some point.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Of course it's free.... don't dope dealers give you a free dose before you have to buy it the second time?

Utility companies will be looking forward to their monopoly on charging EV's in your future

9. karlw

karlw MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2018
    #909 karlw, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Arrg

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    ehhhhh.......................... watch a lot of sci-fi flicks do ya?

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Sadly, MJ, not everyone is thinking...

First, we are polluting our world, our lives are worse off in so many ways because of ICE/petrol/esp. diesel! Not to mention all other creatures, big and small, to extinction even, not only with oil products, of course - the cumulative effect is truly nasty and long-reaching!!!

Secondly, this is way more than economics, this decision is strategic, hence political. Subsidies were introduced when filters were introduced for ICEs, because small ICE costs went higher considerably, in relation to more expensive cars, so the state had to intervene, if we wanted to clean up our act.

Third, one can not stop science and tech, getting smaller (in this context) and ever more powerful. Only a fool would not take this into consideration.

Fourth, charging is no longer free, even if one gets some of it initially. One charges at home, over night, that is one of the advantages for commuters and daily tasks - no pumps, no to that kind of pollution, no waiting... Perhaps in Scandinavia you get a lot more free charging but elsewhere - hardly...

One could go on but what's the point? Some really thick skulls are in the way...

12. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

13. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    The first time I can agree with you:mml:

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  15. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    As it flies right over your head:48:

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    As if you could tell... :p :D :p

17. karlw

karlw MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2018
    #917 karlw, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    <3 My wife.

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @karlw: Your post makes no sense.

Please try to stay on topic.

19. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    still to many what if's with out answers , I suppose in a fairly large town you would have some kind of repair place to take it to . but I don't know if I would take a trip from Washington state to Arizona where the charging stations would be or even if I needed one , would I drive it at night ? what kind of range do you get if you run the air conditioner radio headlights at 65 miles pr hr ? do you get warnings if something gets to hot or do you get any warnings ? I here people say there's a lot of problems with the batteries , is there ? unless you use an electric car and know others who do you can never answer these questions I have never even opened a door on an electric car which means I know nada zilch so be nice kids

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Facts, some older but still informative: https://www.efficientenergysaving.co.uk/electric-car-facts.html

This geek is up-to-date and right on the money: https://undecidedmf.com/episodes/2019/1/1/electric-cars-myths-vs-facts

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1117536_2019-is-the-year-of-the-electric-suv

https://www.convenience.org/Media/Daily/2019/Feb/22/5-Dispelling-Electric-Vehicle-Myths_Fuels

https://axleaddict.com/cars/10-Things-You-Didnt-Know-About-Electric-Cars

Not bad...