What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: Whether or not JFKI or anybody else believes that the change will take place is moot.

If it's going to happen, then it will. :)

No offense to JFKI or any other nay-sayers. ;)

In my career, I've seen (and done. ;) ) some amazing things, many of which I can't speak about because it would be a breach of national security.

Trust me. When the time is right, it'll happen. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    battery is getting better on them and the electric motors and getting more powerful....so maybe in a few years i mite go electric....but their not quite their yet...also their still to small for my taste.

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Model X, even? A 7 seater is too small? Well, my family of four is driving a Toyota Verso and given half a chance I would swap it for Model X immediately! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I think I'll buy a couple of them Model X cars during my lunch break....

[​IMG]

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Probably the reason governments already announce their intention to adopt EVs exclusively and even set target dates to make the intention more credible, is to encourage manufacturers to invest more in research of this technology. The result will inevitably be improvements in performance of vehicle and battery, accompanied by drastic reduction in costs.

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Indeed, economies of scale will work its magic, they already are, as evidence clearly shows...

Besides, oil is going, going, almost gone...

The climate is getting s**ttier for all...

We must change our evil ways!

7. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Di-lithium crystals ? :eek:

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I can not accept that millions of batteries produced per year will all get recycled, even worse is the idea that they can be re-used for something else without being re-manufactured. Lithium cobalt oxide is also a suspected carcinogen and rated as a health hazard.
    https://www.americanelements.com/lithium-cobalt-oxide-12190-79-3

Can you live with putting tons of that stuff every year in your backyard?

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    ....a star gate

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Joe, IIYF - plus, I already posted it here...

Behind sarcasm, JFK, hides a feeble mind... :D

11. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    dude a tesla cost 80K not everyone can afford that....im talking about a regular electric car like a chevy,ford, or toyota, nissan....for the average consumer.

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Hybrid.

And the costs are falling - that's the issue!

Model 3 starts at $35K...

13. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Speaking about feeble minds, have you done those math calcs yet ? :D

Didn't think so. :whistling: (to the tune of jeopardy.)

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Have you checked reality lately? You are way behind the times, pretending you're very clever and informed, when in fact... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p:p:D:D:D

15. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    No, it's not - it is a fact, which can easily be seen in this thread, him constantly talking rubbish (say, about the taxi driver and the need to recharge during working hours - which is bollocks, pure and simple), as he is utterly prejudiced and totally uninformed!

Not personal, facts!

17. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    im talikng about 100% electric... hybrids still use gas the point is moving away from fossil fuel entirely....what i have seen so far in nissan, toyota,chevy their very small their ugly and again still a lot of issues with the battery.

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It's a start.

However, Toyota never wanted it (EVs) so far, as it was only pushed into it by China...

Never mind that: Tesla Model 3 is 100% EV and it's only $35k to start with. Perfectly OK for city and around...

19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Must not have read the fine print....
    Available at some point in December, with a pay per use super charging fee

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://www.tesla.com/support/incentives?redirect=no

Incentives

Electric vehicle incentives are available to those who purchase a new Tesla vehicle. A $7,500 federal income tax credit is available to all customers and several states offer additional incentives, often taking the form of a rebate. Rebates can be claimed immediately after purchase, while tax credits are claimed when filing income taxes.

Many states also offer non-cash incentives, such as carpool lane access in California and free municipal parking.

All states $7,500 income tax credit
    Arizona Reduced Vehicle License Tax, Carpool lane access and reduced rates for electric vehicle charging
    California $2,500 rebate (based on income eligibility)
    Delaware $1,000 rebate
    Colorado $5,000 tax credit
    Hawaii Carpool lane access and reduced rates for electric vehicle charging
    Louisiana $2,500 income tax credit
    Maryland $3,000 Excise Tax Credit for new vehicles under $60,000
    $700 rebate on wall connectors and installation
    Massachusetts $1,000 rebate (funds limited)
    Nevada Carpool lane access and reduced rates for electric vehicle charging
    New Jersey Sales tax exempt
    New York $500 rebate
    Oregon $750 rebate on wall connectors and installation (more for commercial use)
    Pennsylvania $1,750 rebate (first 250 applicants only)
    Rhode Island $2,500 rebate
    Washington DC Excise tax exempt
    Canada
    Ontario $14,000 rebate and carpool lane access
    Up to $1,000 rebate on Wall Connector and installation
    Québec Up to $3,000 rebate
    Up to $600 rebate on Wall Connector and installation

All of the above incentives are available when purchasing a Tesla vehicle with cash or a loan. Only California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Ontario, Québec and Tennessee incentives are available when leasing a Tesla vehicle.

Incentive programs are offered and administered by government agencies. Eligibility and availability vary and are outside of Tesla’s control. Most programs are limited to a total dollar amount that can be dispersed or will expire on a certain date. Be sure to visit the state program’s website for the most up-to-date information on availability and redemption requirements.

Your eligibility for income tax credits depends on your personal tax situation. We recommend speaking with a tax professional for guidance.