What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    New Prius Includes Built-In Virtue Signals
    [​IMG]

KANEGASAKI—An exciting new model of Toyota’s popular Prius hybrid vehicle will eliminate all turn signals and replace them with a large virtue signal, the automaker announced Friday.

The car will feature a lighted signal spanning the rear of the trunk, which will flash several messages when activated. The base model simply says "BETTER THAN THOSE PEOPLE," while custom options include messages like “Doing My Part,” “Environment First,” and “If Only You Cared About The Earth As Much As I Do.”

“We understand what matters to our drivers,” a Toyota spokesperson told reporters. “More than letting other drivers on the road know which direction they are turning, our drivers desperately want to let people know their values are superior to everyone around them at any given moment.”

Toyota expects the shaming message of the virtue signal to distract the public from noticing its rising carbon footprint from the additional energy utilized to build the signal.

SOURCE: https://babylonbee.com/news/new-prius-includes-built-in-virtual-signals

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Everyone's note: Definitively.

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, some humour that is... right-wing "humour"...

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  7. dreamydreamy

dreamydreamy MDL Junior Member

Dec 25, 2019
    @Bat.1

looool :D

Its sad that electrical cars have been turned into a political issue. Meaning now one side will love em, one side will hate them. Shouldnt be like that...

Id love a brand new Tesla, maybe the hippies that politicized cars can crowd fund one for me :)

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://www.equinor.com/en/news/2020-01-23-viking-energy.html

The world’s first carbon-free ammonia-fuelled supply vessel on the drawing board
    January 23, 2020 10:01 CET | Last modified January 23, 2020 12:34 CET

Equinor has signed an agreement with Eidesvik Offshore for the modification of the Viking Energy supply vessel, to make it capable of covering long distances fuelled by carbon-free ammonia. The vessel will transport supplies to installations on the Norwegian continental shelf (NCS).

Equinor has awarded Eidesvik Offshore a five-year contract with effect from April 2020, when the current contract expires. The Viking Energy supply vessel will in the contract period be part of a research project developing, installing and testing long-distance sailing fuelled by carbon-free ammonia fuel cells. The technology will be tested on the vessel from 2024.

“Equinor aims to reduce the emissions in our supply chain, and regards the use of ammonia as a promising solution. Viking Energy may become the first supply vessel in the world covering long distances fuelled by pure carbon-free ammonia,” says Cecilie Rønning, senior vice president for Equinor’s joint operations support.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/n...y-evs-rickshaws-rollout-10000-by-2025-2166812

Amazon India Introducing Electric Delivery Rickshaws, Pledges to Have 10,000 EVs on Road by 2025

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos made the announcement via a tweet Monday, and he can be seen driving one of the Amazon India electric rickshaws in an accompanying video.

9. Electric cars you say? They will never be the revolution, no matter how often these corporations try to push them.

10. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Never say never.

11. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    this much i do know as long as gas rules EV will always be in the backseat not enough infrastructure for charging station plus their lack of range is what kills them....im sure in the future their battery range will get better i havent seen any of that so far....oh by the way they have a tendency to catch on fire some reason;)

12. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  13. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    has anybody figured out what to do with the batteries when they reach the end of there useful life yet ?

14. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #1134 CHEF-KOCH, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    The batteries can be up to 96 percent recycled.

- Source

Yes, electric cars are the future.

My next car will be a Tesla (Model X), because Elon Musk needs money for his space missions. :renske:

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Batteries are changing, towards silicon based ones etc.

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    here in the US tesla still to expensive for the regular consumer also u have to have charging station all over the city whos going to pay for that because thats not going to be for free.

17. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    ... It's very unlikely, personally, I think not.

More to the point, I don't think electric cars will dominate during the near future. And the problem is just exactly with the batteries and not with anything else.
    And the problem is not in charging time or cycles or charging stations, but in technology, raw materials and huge pollution of the environment. Technology, what we have, is useless, it's like yesterday born child. And these batteries not possible to take in use anywhere after their first cycle is ended. Till now there is no way to restore nothing, only the politics can be recycled thousend times, but it's not enough.

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Kaljukass, read back re. various battery types... You're simply wrong on this point!

And everything else that follows naturally from it, of course...

One can not stop science and technology...

It keeps getting better... occasionally...

19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It has been almost 3 yrs that this thread has been going and I am not seeing any of these "new technologies" in real use as of yet? Electric cars are still using the same ion batteries as they have since these cars started to market.

20. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    1,500 miles, and you don't call it improvement? I remember when it started, they had like 400 miles, then 600 and now this.