What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Who said everyone will be driving them immediately?

Who said that he prices will stay high - based on what can you talk rubbish like that, when prices or EVs or components are falling all the time?!?

Not all EVs are Polestar or Tesla or Mercedes top class models, FFS!!! Lots of people in China, India and similar places are already driving EVs - made cheaper, smaller etc.

Who claimed that production of electricity is ALREADY totally fossil-fuel-free? But can you not see a serious shift towards renewables happening in very strong terms - no process is possible, then? In such minds it must be "night now - and then suddenly DAY, AAAHHHH!!!" And it's all perfect, just like that, over night?!?

Seriously?!? What kind of thinking is that?!?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    At the moment, there is nothing to argue about or make any predictions about, because exactly today and now there is not even an idea of how and from what to produce such a huge amount of electricity storage devices that all road transport can switch to electric cars. It simply does not exist, nor is any of the current technologies suitable for it. So, argue or guess what you want, but based on current knowledge, this is not possible in any way. And yet, we are not seeing an increase in human knowledge around the world today, but a huge decline in human knowledge and awareness. And if that doesn't change, those light blue and/or pink dreams doesn't have absolutely any kind of sense. So, you can dream as much you want. at the current level of knowledge, only temporary and short-term experiments are possible and nothing else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You should say "to ME this doesn't make sense".... But you know, we can all inform ourselves, learn, grow... Which I warmly recommend...

4. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    But dont do yourself ;)

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Look who's talking, ahahahahaaa!!!!!

6. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    #1366 case-sensitive, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Life is not a pantomime for little children to continualy say ........ ' Oh no it isnt ' ............. Use facts , logic and rational arguments please ;)

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Perhaps if it had any sense, talking sense to you...:rolleyes:

8. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    Yesterday evening on german arte TV an american documentry wich i found very interesting and inspireing . Just looked in google and cant find it in english .

Fully electric: the aviation of the future

About 15 percent of global CO2 emissions arise through mobility. On the streets are now more and more electric cars. But what about aviation? Would it be conceivable that air pollution is also reduced in aviation with a new generation of electric aircraft?

About 15 percent of global CO2 emissions arise through mobility. Meanwhile, more and more electric cars drive on the streets. It looks like it as if e-cars can replace the conventional fuel powered cars gradually. Would it be conceivable that even in aviation a new age begins - with electric aircraft and thus significantly less stress for the environment?

The documentation examines the latest developments that should reduce both greenhouse gas emissions and the operating costs of scheduled flights. Engineers work worldwide worldwide, some speak of a revolution that faces aviation. But first of all, solutions for complex technical problems need to be found. These include the enormous weight of the batteries, their cooling and energy storage.

The documentation gives surprising insights into the laboratories of research institutes and manufacturers of aerospace technology in Europe, the USA and China. The ideas are just as amazing as the prototypes and let the rapid progress in electrical engineering could soon lead to air traffic in a new age. But how long will it take to make the dream of environmentally friendly, silent and energy-efficient flying?

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/104464-000-A/voll-elektrisch-die-luftfahrt-der-zukunft/

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Already written about: the construction itself will be able to store energy, it seems - carbon based material...

10. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
  11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #1371 gorski, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    Of course, there will be many...

But do you know what is the corelation of ICE and fire v. EV and fire? I already put the info here, search a bit... You will be amazed!

12. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
  13. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
  14. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    Tesla recalling about 130K vehicles across US model lineup

Tesla, whose CEO is Elon Musk, has had a spate of safety problems this year, including multiple investigations opened by NHTSA, the nation’s road safety watchdog. The recall is the 11th for the electric vehicle company since Jan. 27.

Early in 2021 the Austin, Texas, company recalled about 135,000 vehicles. Initially the company had refused to do a recall.

https://nypost.com/2022/05/10/tesla-recalls-another-130k-vehicles-over-touch-screen-issues/

15. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    The more they sell, the more mistakes will be made... What else?!?

I'd go to Mercedes' EVs, right now, I think...

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #1377 gorski, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
    The usual BS attempt from the usual suspects and then the debunking as per usual... Tiresome...

ICE EV comparison.jpg

Production of batteries for ICE not even mentioned...

18. brut7

brut7 MDL Member

Jun 9, 2007
    #1378 brut7, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    The electricity has to be produced somewhere. Mining the rare metals to make the batteries is insanely polluting, tough on the environment. Not that they care in China. I'd like to see more LNG cars on the road, Honda made perfect civics right out of the factory. Currently it's mainly used in bus fleets but big trucks could easily be made for it and it eliminates the waiting time for charging. We actually have enough natural gas that all of us here would never see it run out (politics) and it burns very clean in cars. To be fair though, Hybrid cars like the Prius are very efficient, My Brother and two friends have them. I'd also like to see LNG Hybrids but nobody has done that yet. Full disclosure, I drive a Toyota Highlander with a V6, it's huge, fast and love it.

19. cincinnatus

cincinnatus MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2017
    #1379 cincinnatus, Aug 21, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    There are things we can ALL do to reduce CO2 buildup in the atmosphere

-Don't use a car every single time, even to move just 200 meters
    -Switch to a smaller car if a big heavy one is not really needed.
    -Go electric.
    -Go hybrid.
    -Spread the word to the chinese/indians cause they are going to finish us off with their crazy numbers
    -Look on google images how crazy thin our world atmosphere is and THINK

Anything really

20. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    we are not prepared to drive electric cars "yet" we hardly have enough electric power to keep our homes warm in the winter and air conditioned in the summer. hydroelectric power is in trouble with the drought, wind power is unreliable, we cant burn coal , nuclear power is still a problem getting rid of spent fuel, we need a source of power that doesnt create a pollutant that doesnt make things worse ! spent solar cells are also a pollutant so thats not the answer.