What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    The Pak Yak Truck is Here :clap3:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
  4. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    I've actually been considering buying a Chang Lee truck :oops: They've already been imported in The Philippines and the base model with lead acid batteries and regular bed sells for right under $4000.00 US locally. For the same 4K I could buy a new Honda 150cc Motorcycle and add a sidecar :g: Think I'll go with the Trisika that I know will run over 150,000 miles in the next 20 years :smartass:

5. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    @ Perspective

Euro news just showed an interview with a man that worked out the costs / benefits / damage of different types of cars . The benefits of electric cars dont come untill about 14 years of use ......... and the normal life span of a car is about 14 years .

That means that very much of what we are being told , laws being made , solutions being sugested are wrong , dont solve the problem .......... and just keep capitalism going , the rich stay rich and the poor stay slaves .

The solution is ............ get rid of the cars .......... stop wasteing energy ......... STOP THE DECADENCE .

We just had a good example . The russian gas was turned off ......... and germany cut gas use by about 30 % .......... and there was no noticable effects / defecits / problems .

Politicians are profesional parasites and masss murderers .

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #1446 gorski, Jun 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    How quaint...

Firstly they don't pollute heavily under our children's noses...

Secondly, the technology is advancing rapidly, towards less rare earth being needed etc.

Thirdly, the energy is becoming ever cleaner, i.e. from renewables (again, not perfect but becoming ever more efficient and more recyclable).

That alone is quite a leap already from the - "alternative", which is NOT an "alternative" at all ==> it is the prevailing narrative - and I bet that such a "calculus" was "sponsored" by the industry...

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    The same situation happens with solar panels. The production of them is very polluting and then when they have reached the end of life they pollute even more. The funny thing with electric cars is you have to charge them. Where does that power come from, since many people are scared of nuclear power, you end up charging your car from a fossil fuel plant! So what's the point?
    People need to make use of mass transit, especially if you live in a big city with good mass transit.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Try being a bit more Human and a bit less Amurican only and maybe you'll see...

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    ABC: https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/solar-panels/solar-panel-recycling

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/08/19/1032215/solar-panels-recycling/

Cheapest energy now, by far: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=renewable energy is much cheaper&t=brave&ia=web

In short, re. nuclear power incalculable downsides: https://www.jstor.org/stable/40719811

"Public transport" also must be powered somehow and you want the pollution of ICE to continue?!?

Technology is moving forward at a speed most people can't follow. I posted a lot about new tech, waves, tidal or strong ocean currents, wind and so on and about ways of storing it, when wind and Sun are not available...

But it is much simpler if you ignore all that and forget the fact that fossil fule is subsidised around the world to the tune of $1.9 trillion. Imagine that in renewables instead, R&D and so on... Honestly, WAKE UP!!!!

10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    BUT BUT BUT.... THERE IS SUCH A THING AS AN EARTHQUAKE AND IT DIDN'T STOP PEOPLE LIVING IN CALIFORNIA....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  13. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Hmmmmmm ....... yeah :) ...... cute ....... but ......... how many hundred billion years would it take for her ' ai ' robot thingy to find .......... how much plastic ? ......... how smal pieces can it detect ? ........ pieces that are getting smaller all the time .......... and what about the smaller ones ? ...... . How to collect it ? .......... where to put it ? .......... What to do with it ? ...... How many robot thingys would be needed ? ...... Who woud pay ? :)....... How would we get every country to take part ? and ....... can it find plastic faster than its being thrown in the sea now .........

or is it just pissing against the wind ?

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    ...like your "musings" (good for f**k-all), while she is doing the best she can and actually doing something...

15. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #1456 gorski, Jul 27, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2023
    https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/are-electric-car-fires-really-that-common/

"The one EV fear that refuses to go away, however, is the claim that they’re much more likely to catch fire than are traditional combustion-engined vehicles. Pictures of electric car fires pop up regularly on social media, usually showing a flaming or burnt-out Tesla somewhere in America, with the caption “Look how dangerous electric vehicles are!”

In fact, it’s an urban myth – research into actual cases has shown that EVs are much less likely to combust than their petrol or diesel equivalents. That’s not to say that all those pictures on social media never happened; you just don’t see an equivalent number of photos of petrol cars burning to the ground…

However it’s not all good news. When an EV does go up in flames, it presents a far trickier proposition for the emergency services trying to extinguish the blaze.

Most of the noise surrounding electric car fires comes from people who are very vocal about their absolute opposition to EVs and the phasing out of petrol and diesel cars. At best, their concerns stem from a lack of understanding of electrically-powered equipment as a whole.

We’ve all had electrical appliances we’ve had to chuck away after the batteries – likely left in far too long – corroded all over their contacts. And a fair few of us have likely experienced an overloaded plug overheating and melting.

With electric cars boasting huge high-voltage battery packs, it’s perhaps no surprise that such fears transfer to them and are ramped up to life-threatening level. But evidence of the risk of electric car fires suggests the exact opposite."

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/gove...e-significantly-more-prone-to-fires-than-evs/

Government data show gasoline vehicles are up to 100x more prone to fires than EVs

EV v. ICE fires 1.JPG

EV v. ICE fires 2.JPG

17. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    What a corker... Can you read?!? Look above your post - and then the Q is: "Can you think with your own head, not fossil fuel's collective head?!?"

Of course that there'll be such cases, we knew it way before the EVs!

Are you still using your laptop? Because they can combust in your lap!

No? How about mobile phones? Did you give up yours? No? Awww...

Your wife's dildo? It's either a battery or a cable straight into her... (Oh, my...)

Well, all of those devices use the same technology, the same batteries...

But we all use them because generally they are safe! Much safer than ICE...

Or you think that your wife's dildo would be safer with an ICE inside it? (Damn!)

Go figure...

P.S. New tech is coming for EVs batteries... I wrote about it many times but pigheaded nonsense just doesn't pay attention to anything but their own interests... sorry, prejudices... to be polite...

19. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    #1459 Dark Dinosaur, Jul 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    they (*governments) plan to move us to this s**t garbage car
    did they solve any environmental problems caused by using this car
    ( product battery waste, charge using electricity from Coal, etc, etc, spare parts waste )
    what is motivate them, to replace waste with other waste?
    just because it looks Green it still smells like s**t
    anyway, nobody will replace car with v8.0 engine with this garbage

b.t.w
    my new tesla

39.jpg

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    :D

The whole world is not = USofA.

Many countries are investing in renewables and many more have a lot of potential, even if they don't have much money - sun, wind, sea, rivers etc.

Watch this space...

P.S. Yen is absolutely on the money when he says we need petroleum/coal - for building and other purposes, NOT as a fuel!