What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    It's not up to me, but since you mentioned me, I don't mind people going a little off topic, if their comments are readable. In fact, I even believe that Spam that’s worth reading is not spam.

What I dislike is people constantly sending me off track with links to somewhere else. It reminds me of some articles, e.g. in Wiki, where I search the answer to a simple question, and they send me off to another article, which sends me further away, till I don't know where I am. Citing sources is one thing, communicating by exchange of links another.

2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You have a choice: read or don't.

I don't have a problem clicking on a link and seeing the info. Nowt bad or "difficult" about it. Also, reading mine does not send you to another one and then yet another one etc. The points raised are right there, for everyone to see. I just don't have the time to regurgitate everything in a "reader's digest" manner for people who don't like reading a bit...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #143 gorski, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    ...and faster than you can say "Tesla!" here they come, thick and fast... :p :D :p

http://inhabitat.com/worlds-first-electric-dump-truck-stores-as-much-energy-as-8-tesla-model-s-cars/

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-cont...-being-built-by-Swiss-companies-1-889x500.jpg

World’s first electric dump truck stores as much energy as 8 Tesla Model S cars

Even the construction industry can “go green.” A collection of Swiss companies is proving this to be true by developing the world’s largest electric vehicle and in record time. The E-Dumper weighs a whopping 45 tons and has 700 kWh of storage capacity. That’s as much as eight Tesla Model Svehicles. To ensure it is as environmentally-friendly as possible, the E-Dumper’s base is a used Komatsu HD 605-7 dumper truck. The original diesel engine has been removed and replaced with a chassis for battery packs that will power the new E-Dumper.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #144 JFKI, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    :laie: Since when do electric vehicles need radiators and air cleaners and exhausts ? Do you even read the crap you post ? It is obvious you do not look at the pictures within those articles.

Oh wait, you linked to one.:confused: This one:
    [​IMG]

Lets take a closer look at the author, Amanda Froelich shall we.

What was it that WC Fields said over a century ago? :thinking:
    Oh yeah, "There is a sucker born every minute."

It looks like that sucker was me because I thought you were being serious in this thread.
    :laie: :laie: :laie: :laie: :laie:

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Moronic, for sure. This is a press release made by the company (anyone can "sign them" - in fact, most of such "journalism" is not their work at all) and it says they will use somebody else's truck to fit it with...

Go check your brains, I fear for you... :D You seem to be "in one helluva banana"... :p

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    "To ensure it is as environmentally-friendly as possible, the E-Dumper’s base is a used Komatsu HD 605-7 dumper truck. The original diesel engine has been removed and replaced with a chassis for battery packs that will power the new E-Dumper."

If you had any functional higher brain functions you would be able to see the actual source: https://phys.org/news/2017-09-e-dumper-world-largest-electric-vehicle.html

It says... (drumroll) Provided by: Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology

Now, go do something you can, without any functional higher brain functions... :D

Like breath... :p

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  8. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Does the image YOU linked to show a Radiator, Air cleaners, and Exhaust or not Gorski ?
    Why did you not link to the original source in the first place ?

Have you checked the prices on the battery packs ?
    That alone makes these projects unfeasible.

I *WAS* going to do an electric bicycle conversion...
    A 72 volt 26.1 Amp Hour Samsung cell costs $1165.00 US.

That is JUST the battery.

Anyone wanna buy a bicycle ?

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    So, I am to blame for you freely embarrassing yourself BADLY?!? :D :D :D

Take a hike!!!

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  11. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    And another point, Do you know the primary task of a vehicle like this:

[​IMG]

The primary task assigned to vehicles like that is strip coal mining. Why would they want to run those off battery power ?
    The answer is so simple even you should see the answer.

Something has to power all those chargers. The cheapest "something" is coal.

So much for your caring about the environment.

Also what happens when there is an accident in that coal mine when you are packing "700 kWh of storage capacity" under the hood ?
    Another https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia_mine_fire ?

12. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  13. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    I see you answered exactly zero of my questions.
    You are starting to make yourself look like a troll.

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    What a plonker... errrmmm, pardon, jolly troll... :D :D :D

It's "hike" after all... ;)

15. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    How about a response in coherent English, troll ?

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Perhaps if you learn English properly... :D since you mentioned it... :p or learn how to think, for that matter... trolley-bus... on gas... :D

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Indeed!

Hopefully, soon we'll see "energy is big money" and not have it interchangeably with "oil"... ;)

EDIT:

https://electrek.co/2017/09/19/gm-electric-cars-china/

"GM’s latest announcement follows VW, Daimler, Toyota, Ford, and more recently the Renault-Nissan alliance.

They have been fighting against it though. Virtually all automakers (except for Tesla) have asked China to slow down their electric car mandate through their industry lobbying group, but the government seems determined to go forward with its plan.

At this point, China already has more electric vehicles than any other country, but a lot of them are small and cheap urban EVs. Now with all the latest announcements, it looks very likely that by the end of the decade, China could have the best options of any other market when it comes to electric cars."

20. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: "To the victor goes the spoils". :)