What do you think of Apple products?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Katzenfreund, Apr 11, 2017.

?

What do you think of Apple products?

1. They are high quality and reasonably priced

47 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. They are good quality but expensive

243 vote(s)
    57.2%
  3. They are regular quality and overpriced

135 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    I've never owned a Mac product myself, and have had a very minimal exposure to Mac OS X. Back in 2013, my older brother bought a brand new 27 inch iMac. It was his second computer purchase, his first being an HP Mini 210 laptop about three years prior to that - quite a contrast. This had taken me totally by surprise for several reasons. 1.) He didn't mention a thing about it, he just went out and bought it. 2.) He had never used Mac OS X before. 3.) He spent so damned much money on it, well north of $2000 US.

I've gotten to use it several times, and the one thing I really like is the monitor screen. It's huge compared to what I normally use, it's crystal clear and has zero glare, which is important to me since I get eyestrain very easily. The mouse and keyboard are light, tight, and precise in their function. So in terms of the hardware that the user has to interface with, I give it an A to A+ rating.

What I don't like about it is using Mac OS X itself. To me, the majority of things seem logical, easy to find, and easy to use, but there were several things that seem harder to locate and to understand. I guess that with time, I could get more comfortable with using it. This is probably more my own fault than anything else.

Looking back on it, my brother did the right thing. He's one step above being computer illiterate, and had nothing but problems with using Windows and all of the attending software it requires. Keeping Windows up to date, the antivirus software up to date, doing regular disk clean up and disk defragging were all problems for him. There were times I found things several months out of date, and once I found about 2.4GB of junk files on the Mini along with terrible file fragmentation - about 35%! He seems to be doing much better using Mac OS X, since none of these things are required.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    #22 colinzim, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    I tested a HP Elite 8300 SFF with GT 730 video running (latest) OS-X 10.12.5 as a media server. 4K HDMI TV. Apple OS nice for audio/video.

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Can you add "too proprietary and I don't want it"?
    That would get my vote, and the "quality" is useless if you can't have some of your own control over it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    These days you can build a computer nearly 100x faster and more productive than an Apple Computer for 1/2 the price. My friend has a Hackintosh which is faster than the brand new Mac Pro she has.

5. olmo47

olmo47 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008

I have two laptop one is 2011 MacBook Pro love it I stated with windows, XP after they change I move to mac the other laptop is air book I have OX on one side and Windows 8.1 on the other, had android phone HTC (bad move only part). I have iPad Mini 2 / iPhone 6. I probably won't bay any new Apple product they got ridiculous with the prices, 'IF' my iPad dies I might get another one, Not to fan of Android. I do like the new OS 11 as to Sierra is OK I like the best El Capitan kind of like 'XP'. Any how that is one opinion.

6. olmo47

olmo47 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    Thanks good post, I think every one have valid opinion, and not need to downgrade or insult any one.

7. onorevole

onorevole MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    the most advanced os in the world and hole universe in :.....PAY FOR EVERYTHING......Much much more expensive than it really is worth.....!!!!!!!!

8. xenix 3.0

xenix 3.0 MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2017
    One in five Windows users wants to change very soon..

According to a survey in the US, every fifth Windows user wants to switch to macOS and that already within the next six months.

Source: verto analytics
    NEW YORK, USA
    79 Madison Ave / 2nd Floor
    New York City, NY

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Seeing as I'm a New Yorker, I don't pay much attention to what comes out of Madison Avenue. We know it as the Advertising district. ;)
    Apart from that, the desire to try the Mac OS can and should be satisfied by going Hackintosh. That is, if your hardware is compatible.

Apple hardware is just too expensive and too limited for its' price point.

10. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #30 ipx, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022

11. sysblb

sysblb MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2017
    I've been in IT over a little over 13 years, from intern to helpdesk to manager and everything in-between. In that time I've went through my fair share of computers and their respective OS's.

I started as an IT intern at the college I was attending. My very first task was to setup these brand new 17" Sony VAIO laptops for all the staff and interns. Well, all the interns except myself it turns out. They were literally 1 laptop short so I got the short end of the stick and wound up using a very old IBM Thinkpad for about a year. Overall, it was a great machine, running Windows XP, and in the end, it was the hardware that quit. Then I was upgraded to an older Dell with XP and that gave me nothing but problems, constant driver issues with the wireless. By this time one of those Sony VAIO laptops became available and I pounced! Nothing but issues with the hardware and in a month or two I was turning it back in on another VAIO that was available. Lasted 6 days before it wouldn't even turn on again. So I talked to my boss and he got me a brand new HP laptop. It was a decent laptop, $1500 or so. It ran alright, until I went to upgrade it to Vista and then it would overhead all the time. I went back to XP and it worked until it was EXACTLY 18 months 1 day old. The warranty was for 18 months. The RAM slots were fried and I was without a laptop once again.

By this time the college where I was going part time and working full time for their small WISP was going towards Mac. I had never liked them and didn't want to jump on that train. I used a couple pieced together laptops for a couple of months before I gave in and requested a new one. I was told the IT department strongly recommended I go with a Mac, otherwise they weren't going to let it on the Intranet. I caved and picked out a 17" Unibody MacBook Pro ($2800), I believe the very first unibody model. It was amazing. I had zero issues with that thing. I never had to worry about it not starting one day, or the BSOD that had become my old friend. It just worked. I used this for a few years, no problems. When I took another job, there were actually people in the IT department lined up to try and get my laptop as I was turning it in. To this day, it's still in use and the only upgrade has been a SSD.

My next job I was handed a cheap, off-the-shelf, Best Buy special. I s**t you not, it lasted 8 days before the screen stopped working. Boss took it back and came back with a decent Toshiba, which again, died after a very short amount of time, roughly 2 months. He took it back and came back with a Samsung laptop that I was able to get a little over a year out of before the hardware started giving me issues, constant BSOD issues and freezing. I was able to pick out my next one, on given a budget of $1500, I went with a Lenovo Y50. Other than the Windows 10 that came with it, I actually had good luck with this machine. I eventually pulled the SSD and put in a new one and installed Fedora 25 on it and I honestly feel it ran better with Fedora...granted it took quite a bit of tweaking. I took another position and had to turn the laptop back in.

New, and current, job...I was given a Windows 10 desktop, HP I think, until my probation was up. Despite the 16GB Ram and Xeon processor, this thing is a dog. Always freezing and everything takes forever. I grabbed a beat-to-s**t Toshiba laptop out of storage, put in a new SSD and installed Ubuntu onto it just to try and get some work done. Monday my new 2017 15" MacBook Pro finally arrived. It may be too early to tell, but this feels like my laptop for the next 5-7 years. Yes, it was $2500, but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I bought my wife a 13" MacBook Pro back in 2013 and it's going as strong as it was when I bought it...and she uses that thing very heavily.

TL;DR
    Every Windows based laptop I've ever owned has been subpar, at best. The OS isn't always the issue, but the hardware on just about every machine I've owned has been awful. If you add up the price of all those you're already more than a MacBook Pro that would have lasted you the same or longer than all those combined but without the problems. But really, I'll gladly pay whatever for something that's going to just work, as my time is valuable.

12. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Nice ad ... made me remember Apple thumbs up robots in a local IT side. Anyway, nice to see your first post here.

13. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Apple products are typically overpriced. They are OK, but does not live up to their price. For example, people buy laptops hopping they are reliable. Apple laptops, although priced the highest, it's reliability are mediocre at its best. Maybe iSheep just like the Apple logo and believe that logo alone is worth 40% higher in price, most people certainly don't believe so.
    Personally I will never buy any Apple product with my own money.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    :welcome:to MDL at your service, and you is not unique poor here I too but I think the more important is learn and share knowledge so MDL is the better place :)

15. AStuff

AStuff MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2009
    This is really several different discussions. One about software, one about hardware, one about devices, and one about integrating all of them into your life. Apple's goal is to bundle them together while Microsoft seems to be a software point solution. Then you have all of the other vendors like HP, Google, Samsung, etc. that only bring part of the solution.

Computer wise, I've had fewer issues with software drivers and compatibility on MACs (but also less choices). Hardware reliability seems to be about the same as PCs. Apple's desktops seem to have less sharp edges than most others. There are lots more software updates on PCs (computer reboots itself to install every week or so). Windows 10 is close in usability to Macs for the average person. Apple's Genius bar is great for free help if there is one near you. Otherwise I've found Dell's phone support is better.

Lastly the resale value of a 5 year old Mac is pretty good while a PC is close to worthless.

16. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #36 Michaela Joy, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  17. Lucifer Morningstar

Lucifer Morningstar MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2017
    Personally I really like the iDevices' OS. I've only had one Apple product and that was an iPhone 5. It was the OS I was most interested in because they look clean, in my opinion.

They are a little bit expensive, though but I guess you pay for the aesthetics and OS when you buy an Apple product. At least that's what I think.

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    It's just not ascetics that you pay for, lord help you if you need to get it repaired.
    I recently replaced a hard drive in an iMac AIO and because Apple uses it's own proprietary hard drive, it costs an extra $50. for a temp sensor for the new sata drive, or pay just as much to Apple for one of their proprietary drives. Not only do you pay a premium for the Apple name, but they get ya on the repair too

19. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Compaq used to be the same way. If you didn't buy it from them, you couldn't plug it in.

20. jan13

jan13 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2016
    Dobre. zaawansowane technicznie ale za drogie