What do you think of this Metro App uninstall Reg?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    #1 ian82, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I read somewhere that to uninstall Metro apps, first you have to right click on them one by one in the Metro Start and uninstall them, then you must run this registry file and reboot

the registry file contents are:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""
    Is this true?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Look carefully; it is nothing but a reg script to add Take Ownership shell context menu.

:eek:

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Im sure I got this from MDL :(

Oh well, so there is no need to run any reg file to uninstall metro apps? just uninstall them via right clicking and that's it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Me think that uninstall Start Apps would be a bad idea as long as you do that for computers which are not your own! You would/could not know what will be the need of the users in future and it's a wrong way for an sysadmin to dictate how the Owner and his Representive's have to work on their machines.

According to the contract's my company has with the customers such changes need an amendment and MoU signed by both parties. That's also required by civil law.

In Windows 8/8.1 you've the ability for to unpin an apps from Start Screen and, if it would be needed back, that could be done. That's the only way of acceptance you could do on your own power without to breach any law.

6. Blackra1n

Blackra1n MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Just google:
    How to remove all bundled Modern apps from your user account in Windows 8

7. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    You can always delete them using DISM command for your install.wim for installation purposes.