What does the end of support of Windows XP mean for Windows Embedded?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by AsaadSoft, Feb 21, 2019.

1. AsaadSoft

AsaadSoft MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2015
    #1 AsaadSoft, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  2. windowsfan3829

windowsfan3829 MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2019
    Thank you for all the info! I had the POSReady key enabled for a while until in 2017, one of the updates broke the whole install. Could barely run 3 hours before running out of resources. I ended up reverting to an Acronis image from 2013 (wanted to get rid of some other installs too).

I disabled updates, ran the Offline Update iso I made in summer 2014 (with all the last non-POS updates). After several incidents where I got a virus just from opening a website in Firefox (staples.com and newegg.com had 3rd party ads with virus payloads!), I installed VMWare Player 6 with Linux Mint Rose Mate 17.3 (love this flavor) with Firefox. Thunderbird in Linux for email. No more issues with viruses. I always fix virus attacks properly- by reverting every PC on my network using a prior Acronis image and AV scanning every drive. No small feat with 14 or so boxes and ~100 drives (yes this is at home- friends tell me I'm a computer geek).

So I run XP with no updates past April 2014, and get away with it by using Linux to sandbox my web browsing and email.

3. AsaadSoft

AsaadSoft MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2015
    All extended support is officially over xD