What Exactly is "Velocity" and How Does It Work?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by PolidelticusFire, Jul 27, 2021.

1. PolidelticusFire

PolidelticusFire MDL Addicted

May 7, 2020
    I've read that Microsoft uses a mechanism called Velocity to remotely enable or disable certain features on Windows 10 and, now more prominently, on Windows 11.
    So said features appear to automagically show up on the OS, without any intervention by the user (or sometimes just needs a reboot, like the Teams Chat icon..)

There's even a third-party tool to manually enable/disable these Velocity controlled features -- ViVeTool.

How does this work exactly? Is this similar in any way to Windows 7/8's Redpill and Bluepill ?

-- Also, are features such as Windows Subsystem for Android and DirectStorage already present on 22000.100, but locked behind Velocity?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PolidelticusFire

May 7, 2020
    @Enthousiast can you clarify please?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What is there to explain, whether features are enabled by FxP, EP or like with 22000.xxx by LCU, i don't care.

4. PolidelticusFire

May 7, 2020
    LOL I just wanted to know what this Velocity thing is exactly and if it's similar to Red Pill/Blue Pill.

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    From what I suspect they push it through the Store infrastructure, possibly through the "dmwappushservice".

6. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
  7. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    microsoft controls a lot of things on their end just like when and how updates get sent to different regions, testers within region and so on just like samsung controls when countries and oem's get updates to android patches/updates/upgrades; the only thing in our control is if it is somehow found to be hidden in registry and can be unlocked or in the form of a download that can be installed and unlocked; if like a policy from server to client then microsoft is the server backend and we our the client OS that has to wait until they unlock on their end for it to work, similar to enterprise/smb where the policy is locked on the server and the update is sent to the client locking out a specific feature or features thru group policy on active directory/azure active directory