What is better? Diskeeper or PerfectDisk ?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by iamanoob, Apr 8, 2010.

1. WCCobra

WCCobra MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #41 WCCobra, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
    Well, I've used both, but I don't use the automatic defrag feature.

In my opinion, my computer seems to run better using PerfectDisk compared to Diskeeper. The only thing that comes close to it (and might surpass it because you can design your own scripts) is MyDefrag (i.e. JKDefrag). The downside is that it doesn't handle the page file, metadata, etc. Therefore, I have to give the overall winner to PerfectDisk.

*I've used O&O as well. I didn't find anything special about it that would make me want to keep using it (performance wise), but also nothing really wrong with it either.

2. selvan777

selvan777 MDL Novice

May 2, 2008
    Diskeeper by far

You set it - you forget about it

Literally - Automatically!

Never do you see it again by the system or the user cause there is no need.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Been using PD 11 Pro for more than a month and I have to admit it is very easy to use and also very effective. Diskeeper may be better but I found it a bit hard initially. Maybe that could be reason for it going out of my system. Perhaps with some learning effort, I could have kept it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Just wanted to know if 48 hours is too short (should be more like 72 hours which is default) or adequate (could be less say 24-36 hrs) for autopilot scheduling of c: and other selected partitions in PerfectDisk. AutoPilot is set to defrag at >0% and setting is default classic. Autodefrag runs if system is idle for 5 mins.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    PerfectDisk's boot time defragmentation pass and SMARTP Placement defragmentaiton methods are better than Diskeeper's!

I've tried both, Perfect Disk helped me improve my boot time speed drastically!

6. vois

vois MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    I'm using MyDefrag,a gui program based on JkDefrag,it seems to be good,no problem,free,and it add 2process in Windows task scheduler,1 daily,and 1 monthly
    All seems to be ok :)

7. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Yeah but that can't even come close to hte SMART Placement defragmentation method of Perfect Disk, nor can it defrag your boot files, page file, and hibernation file

8. temosis

temosis MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    Perfect disk has a far better management for disk de-fragment as it has features to control it. Perfect runs low on resources and actively monitors the file system.

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Wow, can't even remember when I used any defragmenter last time...

sebus

10. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    yea, defrag proggies are often for placebo effect only ;)

11. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    You have no clue what you're talking about! What you never measure boot times?

12. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    sure, it makes almost no difference

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Agreed, unless one runs the OS from 8Gb 4200 2.5" HD (but that would be XP at most)
    Then defrag can make some difference

With fast SATA 7200 or 10K 320+ Gb drives it makes no real difference

sebus

14. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    I have a 500 GB 5400 RPM 2.5 inch HDD, so it does make a difference

15. schweinhundert

schweinhundert MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    #55 schweinhundert, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    mo betta

I used O & O for years and it was pretty good, though seemed to leave jobs a bit less well done than I would have liked. I could run it twice or thrice back to back, and it would find new things to do - I'd have expected it to get it done the first time. I found the interface and options rather confusing too. It wouldn't let me optimize placement of programs except in auto mode, which I never use. (I don't want anything running unless I tell it too).
    It has a ton of different defrag technique options, the differences between which, the help files never really made clear to me. I upgraded recently and the new interface got mucho uglier.

So I just switched over to perfectdisk and so far I'm loving it. Nice interface, intelligent file placement capability (optimizes placement of most-used files for best access and reduces future defragging needs by leaving space next to them - smart!), simpler than O&O by far, yet seems very powerful.
    I'm hooked.

16. schweinhundert

schweinhundert MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    You are so sadly mistaken. If you don't know what you're talking about, shut yer yap.

17. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    hahahha! right on buddy! you're the man!!!

defrag helps BIG time man! maybe on an SSD not by much but most of us have HDDs and it makes a HUGE difference especially with PerfectDisk

18. mikeypsquared

mikeypsquared MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    i've tried all Diskeeper and PerfectDisk, but i havent done benchmarks, so i might be lacking at to which one is "really" better.

But i tend to use auslogics disk defrag, which is free too :)

It seems to be fast an efficient, and has a optimize feature. Anyone have any technical input on Auslogics?

19. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    You cannot even compare Auslogics DiskDefrag to PerfectDisk :rolleyes:

Auslogics DiskDefrag just defragments your files. It doesn't have any smart placemeent feature to put the most used files at the beginning of the disk ,nor can it defrag your boot files and system files. It stands no match

20. wechols

wechols MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2009
    Might seem a smart ass answer but Linux is the best solution.