What is EFI drive in sense of system backup?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Georgey, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    In my former laptop (HHD, MBR) I regularly backed up the system, i.e. drive C:\. In case Windows crashed or seriously malfunctioned I only restored the previous version. I didn’t bother with the data drive on the same disk; that was never affected whatever happened to the OS.

Recently I bought a new laptop (SSD, GPT). I migrated my system, yet I found an additional drive A:\ on the disk. I found out it is an EFI drive for boot, independent of the OS. If so, I still should back up C:\ only, leave the EFI partition just like the data partition; restore of these would only give back the very same.

When I started the backup though, Paragon HDD Manager offered to take A:\ along with C:\. Why? Are these two drives still coupled somehow? What is the advantage / disadvantage of backing up both, or C:\ only?

Thanks a lot.

2. without efi system partition you cant boot your os if installed on gpt layout disk.

3. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    I see that. My question is if I should back up the EFI drive along with the system drive, or may I leave it as I do the data drive.

4. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Always backup the drive to other drive
    Not partitions, complete drive

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    Do you mean the whole disk?
    That is 500GB. The system drive is 70GB, the EFI is 0.1GB.
    In my former laptop I only backed up the system. Now I wonder if I also need the EFI.
    It's not the size but the functionality. For 500 though, it's also the size.
    I hope I don't need to save all data every week.

6. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    #6 Dark Dinosaur, Dec 28, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    Thanks, how to validate the hash?

8. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    i use HashCheck v2.1.11
    to generate hash for the files
    to validate them they still fine

9. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    Thanks, I'll try

10. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    I downloaded and installed HashCheck but can't find out how to validate with it.
    How do you do that?

11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It's at least the latest one, with support for modern ciphers like SHA2 and BLAKE3.

Unlike e. g. Veracrypt, it's not a main project of the author, unfortunately.

12. Drak_iaji

Drak_iaji MDL Novice

May 22, 2022
    If it is a full backup, it is enough to back up the OS, but when the scenario involves replacing new hardware, it will be a lot of trouble. If you only back up the OS, you only need to use software such as DISM++to repair the read boot after restoring the OS.
    Of course, make sure that your EFI partition still exists after restoring the OS.

Another point is that restoring a partition will change the partition signature in rare cases. At this time, it is almost necessary to repair the boot. In the UEFI/GPT environment, this means that you need to format the EFI partition and then repair the boot. Have you realized that? If you will repair the boot after the restore, it is not necessary to back up the EFI partition. Sometimes the EFI partition that already has the boot information will be an obstacle to restore the normal operation of the system.

13. Georgey

Georgey MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2012
    I've managed to back up and restore the OS but now I have two EFI partitions, both are void, 100% free.
    What does it mean? Could I delete these and rely on the backup / restore of the OS? Or what? Partitions.jpg