What is swapfile.tmp in C drive and how do i delete it?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kumaramy, Jun 25, 2016.

1. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    #1 kumaramy, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Hello.
    What is swapfile.tmp in C drive and should i delete it? if yes then how do i delete it? it is over 2 gb.
    Thanks.

Edit: I have swapfile.tmp not swapfile.sys or pagefile.sys I had linux on my pc alongside windows 7. Is the swapfile.tmp exist due to linux?

a.png

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Windows names that file "pagefile.sys" though. No idea where "swapfile.tmp" comes from.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  4. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Not on Windows 7.

5. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    No clue about swapfile.tmp.

I am running Win 7 enterprise and I do have a pagefile.sys ( currently 32.5 Gb on an SSD ), but no swapfile.sys.

The extension .tmp is usually a temporary file, but it has also become common for virus payloads.
    My suggestion would be to scan it with an antivirus program and if it is clean try to delete it.
    If it is in use Windows will tell you. ( someone may have edited the registry to use that particular name as a swapfile )
    Even if someone did do that, if you delete it just reboot and a new swapfile will be created.

When this computer starts acting "wonky" for no good reason I'll boot up with Hiren and delete pagefile.sys and most of the time this computer will be fine after win 7 automagically rebuilds the pagefile.sys on reboot.
    ( Yes rebuilding a 32+ GB pagefile takes some time, even on an SSD, so don't get impatient should you choose to do that )

There IS a way to do that from within 7 ( Safe mode ? ) but I can never remember the details.

6. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    @JFKI..is there a reason you haven't disabled your virtual memory? It's common practice with SSD's , and if you have 8 gigs of RAM or more (64bit OS) , you will never need it

7. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Is there a reason for disabling the page file? Some applications require it. It's certainly not "common practice" to disable it with SSDs.

Also, in the strict meaning of the term, "virtual memory" is a memory management concept. It's not something you can "disable" because it's the way the OS manages memory, regardless of whether the page file is enabled or not.

8. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    I actually increased the default size of it intentionally.
    What you say about never needing it may be true for a "normal" user, but I am not one of those.
    In fact "power user" would be an understatement for how I use this machine, and I did actually get an out of memory error a couple of weeks ago.

But by all means, feel free to disable yours. ;)

9. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I use windows 7 ultimate and I have swapfile.tmp not swapfile.sys or pagefile.sys
    One thing i forgot to mention that I had linux on my pc alongside windows 7. Is the swapfile.tmp exist due to linux?

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @kumaramy: I think so. I did some googling and 'swapfile.tmp' showed up on a few Linux forums.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...