what is the benefit of turning PC into Mac OSx?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by catdog215, Dec 6, 2010.

1. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    hi,

I've been reading pc to mac and was wondering what is the benefit of turning PC into Mac OSx? Any idea why they turn a pc-base into full Mac OSx (snow leopard)? was it better/faster, etc?

thx

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. johnkeates

johnkeates MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    Mac OS X is UNIX certified, and based on a UNIX-BSD alike kernel (XNU), which is far more stable than Window's current NT kernel. Some people like the Mac OS X user interface, so that can be a solid reason.
    Than there is the speed factor, Mac OS X usually runs quite well on hardware that's been on the market for 2 years, windows only runs fast with the latest hardware.

Next, Mac OS X is intended to just work. As with computers, things usually don't just work, so you can't expect everything to just work, not even with Mac OS X, but they (Apple) is getting quite close with the 'just works' stuff.
    Zero configuration is another item, you usually don't need to dive in to many meaningless configuration dialogs to get what you want, everything is pre-configured to just work for most people.

Last, some professional software only works with Mac OS X, because it requires specific timing, hardware access or other things that are hard, or impossible to do with Windows's system.

Mostly, it's just a choice, if you like it you can use it. If you don't like it, you can use something else.

One argument never works; "windows has more options" or "windows has buttons for advanced configuration", no, it does not. Windows isn't smart enough to figure things out by itself, so it has to ask you a lot of questions.
    The systems that have real advanced configuration, and have real options, are usually Linux, Unix or BSD-alike systems. The most options are with open source software systems, because you can actually make the system do whatever you want, you can change EVERYTHING. You can't with windows, and you can't with Mac OS X. Hacking some closed-source binaries is not the same as real advances modifications, changes and options.

3. Doctor

Doctor MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    if your thinking of putting osx on your pc, i'd do some researching first. even with distros like iatkos, its not always as simple as install and go.

4. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    very good explaination for a non Mac user and easy to understand for a person like me who know nothing about Mac or Windows. just a user. But since coming to MDL, i know more stuffs in term of oem, bios mod, etc. before i just search and install a pre-made software without knowing the risk that could affect my pc with adware or virus. thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    i totally agree with you Doctor. I been trying and reading forum but so far was unsuccessful in accomplished. There's ppl who can install Mac Osx in PC especailly the same mb as i had. but i not sure where i did it wrong. i kept getting "Eboot read error: device timeout" when boot with iBoot or EmpireEFI. The person who successful did it doesnt know y..

I saw your sig using Mac OSx, maybe you can guide if you don't mind. i went to tonymacx86 and kexts but no answer

6. Doctor

Doctor MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    i got lucky (after months of trying) and finally got everything installed with the latest iatkos.

there are a few ways you can approach it. you can try with the stock osx kernel or use a modified one (stock one has no problems with updates, but modified ones are optimised for non apple computers) if you decide to go the modified kernel route, youll want the chocolate kernel. (but i advise going down the stock kernel route, even if it is a little harder to setup)

another thing to consider is whether you want to use a distro like iatkos which has alot of the commonly used kexts included, or whether you just want a bare install and find the kexts from the internet.

insanelymac is a good place to start.

i cant be very specific for a couple of reasons, one is what worked for me, might not work for you. another is i cant actually remember everything step by step of what i did.

if you do get everything up and running, the first thing you should do is make a backup (cant stress that enough)

if you need any help, post back in here and ill try do my best.

7. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks Doctor.

ok i try iBoot, i try EmpireEfi v1.085r2. some how empireEfi said "boot failure". iboot boot fine with some ebios error: device time out. anyhow non r working. so i try "iATKOS_S3_version2". everything works great but i can't boot unless i type "-x". but then that is in safe mode. not sure what to do to get it running w/out safe mode. please adivce.

Oh what is the different between using iatkos and iBoot+MultiBeast? when using iatkos i did not see those purple color with letter flying. instead it goes straight to desktop. and destop is not purple, it's gray color.

Is there anywhere i can see "device manager" like in window? would like to know if any are in "unknown"

8. Doctor

Doctor MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    boot iatkos with -v and try see where it hangs.

iboot+multibeast just looks to be some sort of boot disk (kinda like empireefi) which you will need the snow leopard install disk aswell whereas iatkos is an all-in-one installation.

as for the device manager part. once you get the disk booted (where you can see the menu bar at the top.) click go -> utilities -> system profiler
    thats about the closest thing to device manager there is.

9. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    #9 catdog215, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
    (OP)
  10. OmniBlade

OmniBlade MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    Any citation for that? I support OS X and Windows networks and nothing in the performance I've seen from either indicates XNU is more stable than NT in their current incarnations.

It runs on very controlled platforms and even then manages to have problems if you use it on anything other than a small home network or as a standalone machine. Good luck when you need to change a config item not exposed in the UI, you might as well be running linux at that point. 'Just Works' is apple market spin and even then only applies if you use it on apple hardware. Using it on a normal PC is much harder than windows or linux on the same system in my experience.

True years ago, but not so much today. Virtually all professional software is now available on windows as well, sometimes better even (Photoshop 64bit is only available on windows 64bit IIRC). Only the software apple make themselves is really tied to OS X anymore such as garage band, imovie and so on.

I like OS X myself, but your response is very misleading, especially if we are talking about a hackintosh and not as true apple built machine.

11. Doctor

Doctor MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    its crashing on the graphics kext (atiradeonx2000.kext by the look of it)

do you have onboard gfx? if so try use that and remove the gfx card then sort it out after.
    or you can try find a kext that works (which means rebuilding and reburning the iatkos iso)

id recommend signing up over at insanelymac.com, there will be alot more people to help out. there might be a way to disable the kext through the bootloader (but im unsure)

12. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    thanks. no matter what i did, i can only boot in safe mode. so in safe mode i update to 10.6.5 combo package. after the update, the sound works and i can boot up normally. i had to use kext helper to install intel82566MM kext in order to have connection. however my usb rear and front does not work. but my usb mouse and use keyboard work. when i plug my 8gb flash drive, nothing show up. i even apply usb kext that support my MB but it cause my pc to freeze when i'm on the Snow Leopard desktop.

i use ATI HD4350. somehow my onboard vdo does not work. when try to install, i kept getting gray screen. never get to the installation part.

13. joo nam

joo nam MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2007
    it took me many installation and errors before i get the hang of it and at the end it's all hardware depended.
    the best way to get going is not always the easiest way. there are many different distros out there and many start out trying them with almost no luck unless you have the exact or very similar hardware as the creator of the distro. belive me you are better of to go with a Boot CD such as "iBoot" and the retail mac disk. that way you have a good solid base to get of and start finding the kext for your hardware.

by the way i think your ATI 4350 is not compatiable

14. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    #14 catdog215, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    (OP)
  15. ericchak

ericchak MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Both insanelymac and kexts.com are good to go.

I had built different system and notebook with both win7/Mac os dual boot succesfully, the first system was hard and rest should be more easy. I learn much from some Chinese web also insanelymac for build up dsdt...etc. A lot of fun (and a lot of time involved)

16. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    #16 catdog215, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
    (OP)
    yes and very headach esp trying getting all the driver to work. so far i can't get usb and ati4350 to work. the guide wasn't clear to me. i guess the person explain only to advance user, well most of those ppl the way they guide is for advance user not for starter. there r some guide to starter but not even related to what you'll looking for. plus it's seem like no1 is helping when asking question. I like MDL more since no matter you're a starter or an advance, there's always some1 answering the question or guide to the right place. i been to tonymac, uphuck, and insanelymac, all those site had a poor rate in helping starting. (based on my opinion). Only Kext site help me so far.

hope some1 can answer me:
    Like example, they would say put .kext in E/E, do they mean using kexthelper, kerxt utility, or drag to E/E folder
    and the com.apple.boot.plist found in /Extra. i look in /Extra and i don't see it. yes i saw in /library/preference/systemconf
    and when they say delete /S/L/caches/com.apple.kext.caches, com.apple.kext.caches is a folder. do they want me to delete com.apple.kext.caches folder??

also Open the OS X Terminal, type pfix, press enter, select your OSX installation drive and run it.
    is this my OSx drive --> dev/disks03 <-- since this is what i saw in the terminal

so is this what i do:
    at prompt: pfix enter
    enter password
    type: dev/disks03 enter

is this what i should do to fixed permissions and refreshed your kextcaches

17. Doctor

Doctor MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    either use kext utility (drop the kext onto kext utility, itll install it and rebuild the caches)

or you can delete the cache (for e/e, its extensions.mkext in extra) and boot with -v. that usually rebuilds the caches

18. ericchak

ericchak MDL Junior Member

Sep 3, 2009
    #18 ericchak, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    most easy is kext utility.

I use bootthink not other loader and use usb hd (original OS) instead of using DVD to install, just put the kexts into the extensions folder of Darwin can test before install by kext utility, the com.apple.boot.plist just put at the Darwin root folder of bootthink (or the extra folder), you need to creat a new one with your parameter like -

<key>Kernel</key>
    <string>legacy_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-x32</string>
    means using legacy_kernet instead of orginal Kernel (for special CPU like amd, atom..) and using 32 bit kernel flags.

later no, you may study using dsdt which should be more easy to archief the real apple style and can eliminate some of the kexts using.

19. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    #19 catdog215, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    (OP)
  20. joo nam

joo nam MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2007
    #20 joo nam, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    check in the disk utility see if your thumb drive shows up in there. it might be a formatting issue!

your SSD can go on any of the ports

did you also apply the multiebeast after the installation? there is an installation video guide on their website which i found very useful.