what is the benefit of turning PC into Mac OSx?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by catdog215, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Idontknow

Idontknow MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2009
    Hi catdog,

I know how difficult it is to get the wanted/needed info out on insanelymac or others but there is no real workaround that.
    You need to learn, how to interpret the boot log screen in order to determine the possible reasons for each kp and which patch/kext you need to apply to pass.

Very helpful is the HardwareCompatibilityList 10.6.5 on wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL.
    Here you can get recommendations about the needed patches and kexts for most of your hardware.

My choice for your rig would be:
    -Vanilla (Darwin) kernel
    -AnsereBLN bootloader
    -USBfix
    -Disabler
    -fakesmc
    -INTEL/Sata or AHCI/Sata generic
    drivers for audio, video and network according to your hardware (ATI - EVO Enabler)
    -
    It took me about 2 months and endless installs before I had Snow Leopard running on my PC with ALL features working; and I liked it so much that meanwhile I replaced my notebook with the new MBA.

Cheers

2. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #22 catdog215, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    (OP)
    I finally got everything to work. video is full resolution, ethernet work, sound work, usb mouse and keyboard works but the only one that is not working is when i plug my thumb drive. i did use multibeast and install the ubs rollback but still no help. i install Intel USB2 EHCI Controller and now my mouse and keyboard freeze. i guess i have to reinstall OSx again from fresh. AppleUSBEHCI.kext, AppleUSBOHCI.kext, AppleUSBUHCI.kext, these are the kexts that are inside USB2 EHCI Controller

My thumb drive was format as FAT32 since it's only 8gb. ok i will look in disk utility

can i do this:
    boot with -s
    then type mount -uw/
    rm -R /system/library/extension/***.kext

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    I will try your method to see if when i plug thumb drive to usb port, it works or not. currently when i plug thumb drive to usb port, i do not see my thumb drive and no light is blinking from the thumb drive. however yes my usb mouse and usb keyboard do work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    #24 catdog215, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    (OP)
    Finally my system is now 100% working on Snow Leopard 10.6.5. Now i need to learn how to change icon especially hard drive icon look ugly.

5. joo nam

joo nam MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2007
    glad you managed to get everything working.

6. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    my 60gb vexter2 ssd already today. some idea please.
    Option:
    1.should i use the whole 60gb ssd for snow leopard or windows? which is better?

Or,

2. should i split ssd in half? 30gb to snow leopard and reminding to windows? then have a 2nd 1Tb sata hard drive for application installation? split the 2nd hd in half for snow leopard application and reminding for windows application? is this possible?

thx

7. frankie.

frankie. MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2011
    Mac os is a more like religion, and be cool
    PC (linux) is more about common sens

8. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I turned both my pc's PC into a Mac.
    They're currently dual-booting Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6.6. To be true, I didn't even need OS X to work. I just did it for the heck of it.
    I'm studying computers engineering and I realised I only had contact with Windows, and that's a big no-no. I decided, since I had some vacations to try to get Mac OS X to work on a regular PC (Since I'm totally against Apple's principles and prices), so I simply did it.
    It works great, and I like the system quite much.

I have to be honest though. During the whole process, I wasted TONS of time trying to get everything perfect (which, you most likely won't get to 100%). I wasted about 1 week, trying to get my wireless working on my laptop. I eventually did it, but it took me a week, and I just wish I don't have to reformat anytime soon.
    I used iAtkos S3 V2. Getting the base system to work is pretty simple. It's as easy as install and go. Getting the rest of the kinks perfect is the time killer.

so, basically, do it if you like a challenge and trying out new things... And, ofc, try to do the most investigation and common problems identification... Good luck to anyone that decides to do it.

9. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    I did attempt to install OS X on my computer. However I found that you need to have a hacked kernel.
    The kernel is the most important part of the OS that has the full control, it doesn't make sense to use a hacked kernel made by people I don't really trust so I decided not to use it after all.

10. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #30 Rosco, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
    I don't like Apple's closed philosophy and usually think their pricing is over the top BUT recently my 16:10 24" Dell monitor had an apocalyptic reaction and ceased to work.

I found it impossible to justify buying a large monitor with better than 24 " size or 1920 X 1080 resolution until I looked at the latest 27" iMac.

For only a few dollars more than the price of a Dell 30" monitor I got a whole beautiful computer capable of running any OS I want - a little restricted in upgrades but I can install an additional Drive (an SSD ) when I get confident enough to pull it apart.

My PC - a 2009 core i7 PC cost nearly as much without monitor - I jumped in early and of course prices declined later BUT I think you'd be hard pressed to get a computer the equal of this for less than three quarters the price of the Mac and then you're stuck with an inferior monitor unless you shell out the bucks for a Dell 30" - a no brainer as far as I can see.

So Macs have a convert - I get a Win7 Experience score of 6.0 in a virtual machine - all the rest of the scores are around 7.5 - the terabyte 7200 Seagate hard drive is the low score.

11. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
  12. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    Less vulnerability to viruses maybe?

13. SAMURAi

SAMURAi MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2010
    thanks a lot...........

14. genius17

genius17 MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    To gain some head ache? :)

15. adarissmith

adarissmith MDL Novice

Apr 14, 2011
    The virtual machine emulated by Cherry OS sports full network capabilities and has complete access to the host computer's hardware resources--hard drive, CPU, RAM, FireWire, USB, PCI, PCMCIA bus, Ethernet networking, and modem.
    It purportedly runs at about 80 percent of the performance of the host CPU, according to the developer.

16. Nichole Green

Nichole Green MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2011
    Mac is better than any other operating system in terms of security, i had mac installed on my notebook before this i experienced problems in using windows but after installing Mac i have no problem at all. Mac has a wide range of security tools and software available so that our work can remain safe....