What is the best way to deal with Windows KB971033 WAT Update ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nanana1, Feb 26, 2010.

1. 07ee17

07ee17 MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I think it is good to go with KB971033 if you are using bios mod or Daz's 7 loader. Windows will remain geniune as it was before....

2. nanana1

nanana1 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks for letting us know. It appears that you are one of the minority here who prefer Option 2 and there is nothing wrong about it.

3. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Using Option 1 on my Compaq laptop with BIOS modded with matching Compaq SLIC, certificate and ultimate oem slp key.
    Using Option 4 on my Gigabyte PC with BIOS modded with Gigabyte SLIC, Gigabyte certificate and HP ultimate oem slp key. Will install option 1 when someone posts a Gigabyte ultimate SLP key to install so it all matches.
    Tried Option 1 on homebuilt PC uisng Intel Pro100+ PCI NIC (Used on an Intel D845HV motherboard) that I modded with Acer SLIC, certificate and ultimat SLP Oem key to activate. Made 4 attempts to install KB971033 and it failed each time with error code 80070BC9. On reboot "configuring computer" would come up and computer would shut down. Booted with Bart's cd and disabled windows update service, rebooted and windows loaded still activated. Hid KB971033 in windows update. Would recommend Option 4 if you are using modded Intel NIC to activate Windows 7.

4. nanana1

nanana1 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks. Given your action, you would still be considered a Option 1 supporter and Option 4 is your distant 2nd choice.

5. nanana1

nanana1 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2010
    #47 nanana1, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    (OP)
    In another thread discussion, a esteemed member here, NoJuan999, posted,

Surprised to hear that an expert member like NoJuan999, is preferring Option 3, an minority.

Further to this discussion, NoJuan999, said,

Even with his vast experienced in bios modding and a purchased MS copy, his option choice is 3 which should make us think seriously about Option 1 choice !

6. Veegertx

Veegertx MDL Junior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    For those that need this Kb971033 WAT(Windows Activation Technologies)
    Once installed it creates a Task (Type or Paste Task Scheduler in the little box on Start says Search Programs and Files) and drill down to Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows, Windows Activation Technologies if you installed it
    and it will run every 90 day's and phone home and check if I'm legit. I don't have a problem with that but my gosh looking through all that in there will disturb you. Unless you running a real good system with plenty of Horsepower and ram.

I do know 7 will run on very little similar to Linux because I know someone has done it but he disabled 95% of the services

7. computergeek

computergeek MDL Junior Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Or you could apply the patch then use the newest version of RemoveWAT. That's what I did and it still works!

8. Buhric

Buhric MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    I got an idea.... Apply the patch... then block it using your firewall

9. turrican9

turrican9 MDL Novice

May 29, 2007
    Option 1 for me. Installed the update, did not pass the genuine check with 7Loader 1.5. Installed 7Loader 1.7.7 and validated again.. this time it passed as Genuine.

10. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Sorry guys. Can anyone PM me on how to hide this update, please?

I have not installed it yet, so I wan to hide it, but I don't know how.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks.

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Right click and Hide :eek:

12. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    The funny thing was that I did that and the update installed anyway when I shut down!

On restart, Genuine status is still active, so did I just randomly dodge the bullet?

I turned off all update and notifications, but I wonder if that is enough. Can MS push an update without consent?

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    So uninstall it and try to see if it installs when you shut down again

14. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    What could have happened is that it could have downloaded the update prior to your changing options to check for updates. There are some options such as intall auto, and download updates but let me review, that should not be selected even if you have a key.

I have seen this happen on my PC. At restoring from system image, if you do not immediately go to windows updates and select your option (check for updates and let me choose), it can sometimes go to `install up. auto'. Sometimes the message is change your settings and that is fine. I have seen 2-3 instances of Microsoft Lifecam software installing on its own and take a lot of time. No problems with that install except that it conflicts with Skype and if I install Lifecam software, I get no video or audio in Skype. So I have to let Lifecam install and then uninstall.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. linkingeek

linkingeek MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2010
    After effects of kb971033

Your broadband or internet will not work that's what i have seen many times.:mad: