what is the best Windows 10 version? Intergating from Windows 7. I heard about LTSB

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by oddjob83, Sep 25, 2018.

1. oddjob83

oddjob83 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2017
    Hello,

I am thinking of going to Windows 10 from Windows 7 but i do not want any bloat ware, any spying, and i want it to be like Windows 7. I read that is possible but since there are too many versions, it will be difficult for me to do such a anything.

what can i do? what ISOs should i download?

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Only win 10 ltsb/ltsc version comes without app store & apps so it is closest to win 7 in that respect.Win 10 ltsc 2019 is soon going to be released so better wait for that.

3. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Have you tried installing windows 8.1? Its like 10 but without the headaches, no cortana, just get rid of the store and apps with msmg toolkit.

4. thessalonik

thessalonik MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Any ideas when that will be?!

5. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    October i think

6. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    No confirmed date as of now but description is already updated on MS site so most probably by Oct end or Nov.

7. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    the first week in October last I heard !

8. bill.i.am

bill.i.am MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2015
    Windows 10 LTSB AKA LTSC is the best. Have had LTSB 2016 on several systems for 2+ years now, extremely stable.

The only machines where I use Windows 10 'standard' (Pro and Enterprise) are at work. The non-LTSB/LTSC versions are literally AIDS for your PC - forced reboots after updates, unwanted new "features" (feels mostly like a UI experiment and YOU the business user are the beta tester) and many updates will magically "reset" your preferences and settings (that includes restoring Candy Crush, Facebook and other bulls**t adware, pushing Microsoft's crapware like Edge and OneDrive/Cloud, etc).

Ironically Microsoft themselves have an article that tells users to "Say No to Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC)" as one of the top results when you google "Windows 10 LTSC" (because "bend over nice and wide, and say YES to telemetry, tracking and other privacy intruding AIDS with non-LTSC versions of Windows 10!!!!!")

9. PsychedelicShaman

PsychedelicShaman MDL Member

Dec 4, 2017
    I saw that article, i once wrote a long detailed comment under it, debunking all those silly anti-LTSC arguments and explaining why the author is completely wrong, but my comment got removed after a while, lol.

10. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Microsoft is saving A WHOLE LOT of money since they fired almost everyone in the QA testing group. The new, unpaid betatesters are in fact the customers running regular non-LTSB versions of Windows.

If people suddenly started using LTSB en masse, that would kinda defeat the purpose and it would be bad for Microsoft. In the worst case scenario, they'd have to re-hire a lot of people!

11. bill.i.am

bill.i.am MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2015
    I hope you had a copy of that comment. Best thing to do would be to repost that as an article here, on your own blog and other websites. Even as a person from the IRC/internet forum era, I've learned to keep a copy of important/long comments in an offline file now for reposting due to this new world of political correctness and comment section censorship.

Backing you up and going back to OP, there are basically no downsides to using the LTSB/LTSC issue on your machine, in fact, there are plenty of upsides if you do over the regular Home/Pro/Enterprise versions of Windows 10. The biggest (upsides) of which are no app store and apps, ability to more comprehensively block telemetry and spying measures, security-only Windows Updates (which means you won't get new "feature" updates that have the tendency to deliberately reset vital settings to your disadvantage - like putting default browser back to Edge and Spying settings back to "send ALL AND EVERYTHING on user back to the Microsoft mothership!") and excellent stability (as mentioned around the net since 2015 when Windows 10 first launched, the rolling "feature" updates of the regular branch tends to cause multiple BSOD and random stupidity to your system).

As far as features are concerned, there are very few (almost none?) features to core Windows 10 on the latest non-LTSB Windows (features as of 09/2018) on my work machines that I've noticed over what I have on my LTSB 2016 Windows (features as of 08/2016) machines at home - the only big difference I see is the Win + TAB application switcher has been redesigned. So I suspect most of the "features" are on the Windows Store apps side of things (synonymous with AIDS), so I am definitely not missing out on any "new features" that Microsoft boasts about to instigate FOMO in users.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #12 Enthousiast, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    As said before, the telemetry level on LTSB/C is the same as on non LTSB/C sku's, globally most people who run windows don't even know about LTSB/C editions, and many like to use the store too, just like they do on android/iOS.

13. PsychedelicShaman

PsychedelicShaman MDL Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Im pretty sure that vast majority of Windows users want to run Win32 API programs only and don't want to use Store or any of the built-in UWP apps, when i worked in computer servicing here a lot of customers were coming with their Windows 10 laptops wanting us to remove the "metro apps" for them, lol. The problem is that PC is not a smartphone or a tablet, but Microsoft doesn't seem to understand that.