What is the cleanest way to disable MS spying in Win10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MS-BOSS, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #61 Nucleus, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Dawgy have a look back through the previous one million threads about W10 privacy/telemetry, several threads were deleted cos' of how heated they got. I was only involved in one of several of those. There have also been W10 privacy/spying threads that were locked because they too got heated - think I only ever posted in one of those too.

On every single occasion I saw it was because the paranoid FUD brigade started hurling insults as previously mentioned "MS Fanboy" "Retard" etc, which then built and built into flame wars.

Ppl may have their W10 bolted down to their satisfaction after reading all this stuff extensively on MDL (me one of them). But because someone does'nt subscribe to the paranoiac FUD that sometimes gets posted, shouldn't make you the target of insults, troll, MS Fanboy, Retard etc.

So so sad. Almost as sad as MDL's sad no life anti British racist fool. Let's be honest of how MDL has changed, you can get a temp ban, come back and immediately on return start jibing at and mocking the mod who banned you, and continue apace with your awful aggressive abrupt posting style and still then only get another temp ban. You can go on an outrageous posting fest cursing everyone and their mother, calling everyone's mother a tramp and repeatedly post that well know American insult "Mother ......", post the F bomb at a frightening rate of knots and still then only get a temp ban as xinso did. And what happens, the forum Police then delete anyone so much as just asking what happened here then! Was he drugged up/drunk?

Perhaps they think I should have a break and take it elsewhere as I have.

So why are you posting here then, if you don't like it go elsewhere!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    The next thing I'm waiting for is the brilliant statement stay on topic guys ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
    There is no "permanent" solution. Anything that you can disable, Microsoft can re-enable. Anything that you can uninstall, Microsoft can re-install. Also, disabling or uninstalling things can potentially cause problems because you really don't know how everything is inter-connected. Several months ago I figured out a way to completely disable Cortana, but it made my computer unstable. I've also tried some of the other scripts that have been posted here for disabling various things and they all seem to cause problems. Not big problems, but some things don't seem to work properly.

If it really bothers you that much then go back to Windows 7. That's what I did.

4. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #64 c6p0, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010
    #66 tmf2, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    In my perspective I view life in a Public and Private aspect. I choose what I want to share or not.Privacy is the key to Freedom of Speech. Without privacy you don't have Freedom of Speech, it primarily underpins our whole Western Democracy. We need to protect this now especially in this Digital Age and if we are not careful we will lose it. This issue should concern everyone. Call us tinfoil hatters all you want its better then being uninformed or ignoring the obvious :rolleyes:

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

ha ha ha....good luck with that:rolleyes:

8. LifeIsNotEasy

LifeIsNotEasy MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2015
    h ttps://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

In "Personal Data We Collect" and click "Learn More"

These are announced by MS

9. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. Doesn't come with any of the apps. Also Enterprise in general gives you control on disabling pretty much anything MS makes money from. And obviously never use a Microsoft account. Go black flag.

I always roll my eyes when people go full paranoid on MS though. Lots of them are Facebook and Chrome users with GPS enabled on their smartphones.

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Though I'd like to believe that such announced policies are generally adhered to, there's no guarantee that if the CIA/FBI/NSA ask for more data, or even strong commercial interests come into play, the declared collection and provision of info won't be exceeded.

Clarification. The above is meant as an objective comment, and in no way implies that I share the views of the so-called "paranoiac brigade". But it's good that one knows the possibilities, even if their small probability and consequences do not merit any action on his part.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    FYI NSA was allready collecting data around windows 95 there was an special agrement between M$ and the NSA for an backdoor in their OS why do you think Putin want to ban M$ from Rusland in case of war you don't want any spying by used software don't you ;)

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Doesn't matter if the current terms are adhered to or not; the policy can change at any time for whatever reason. As a matter of fact, it was even changed this month :p

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  14. MS-BOSS

MS-BOSS MDL Junior Member

Jun 24, 2015
    This thing evolved into something else, but anyway... I've ditched the idea of using any tools like ShutUp10 or Anti-Beacon.

Instead, I will just implement some of "c6p0"'s advice, that being: I'll turn everything off under the Privacy settings in Win10, disable Cortana and automatic Windows updates through Group policy and probably not even disable the DiagTrack and dmwappushservice services - just in case so that Windows update won't potenitaly mess anything up. That should suffice, I think, together with setting the "MS spying" to Basic.

Again, thanx.

15. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    You’ve now entered into another controversial sphere of discussion, namely whether it’s advisable to turn Windows Updates off. It depends whether you want to maximize privacy or system performance.

16. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    I always expect that a user who tweaks his system is aware of the consequences implicated, i.e. regularly checking for existing updates and handling them accordingly.

My only criticism with Win 10 in this regard is the lack of an actual choice.

Beside that, after being a PITA in Win 7 and 8/8.1, Windows Update became a nightmare in 10. In one test a CU and a flash update lasted more than an hour by blocking my internet traffic effectively. Doing it offline with MSUs from Update catalog is done in under 10 mins on a SSD system.

17. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    or..some Telemetry could be hidden and not yet discovered, perhaps running within an innocent looking folder in Windows System

18. jeggg

jeggg MDL Member

Dec 30, 2016
    to me one thing in Win 10 that is laughable..in updates is a switch that sends updates to other pc's on internet from your PC

19. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #79 c6p0, Feb 11, 2017
    Code:
    Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    Configure Automatic Updates : Enabled => Value 2 (Notify before downloading and installing any updates)
    instead of completely blocking update, I did this with gpedit.msc to get automatic warning

Most of the time i use
    Dism.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:"<path>\kb_____.cab"
    to do the update manually when i want

20. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #80 Nucleus, Feb 11, 2017
    Never been aware of any problems with Windows Update Service disabled. Each patch Tuesday, see ppl at MDL start mentioning new updates are available, run WUMT (it prompts to start the service), check for updates and choose which ones to install/hide. Install, reboot, disable update service again.

But as Dawgy mentioned, regards the Windows Updates it's just as easy/quicker via DISM (direct links to the updates are posted in the Hotfix Repo a few minutes after they're available), or you can retrieve the links from WUMT.

Code:
    DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:<path\filename>
    Edit: May be mistaken, doesn't abbodi have a script posted somewhere to check/apply updates from a given folder?