What is the cleanest way to disable MS spying in Win10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MS-BOSS, Feb 8, 2017.

1. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #81 s1ave77, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Exactly, in case one needs to update more than the machine in front of him, it's very comfortable to use WU only indirectly for checking and in the end for confirming satisfaction.

My WU is set to manual and Windows sees my Ethernet as metered. So far nothing was installed without my permissions.

Only thing is; i use WUSA for online update installs, found it more error proof.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Knew I'd seen something by abbodi. Never used this one but here's the post.

abbodi - Windows 10 Updates Installer

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ...but as you guys pick the updates to install, do they tell you of side effects, like changing your settings, which is commonplace, not to mention more serious ones, also including side effects and interdependencies with future updates, plus interactions with system mods you've carried out?

4. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #84 Nucleus, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    @ Katzenfreund - For me and the method I use (post), it's to hide all the updates for the Office 2016 components I don't have installed. Eg: I don't want tons of updates for PowerPoint, OneNote, Access and the other Office stuff I don't have installed, so I hide them then update Office. MSI Office you still get offered all the updates for that stuff, no idea how C2R Office deals with updates. Each patch Tuesday I run WUMT, check and hide all the not needed Office updates then let it install updates.

If updates applicable to W10 LTSB show, I might let WUMT do it or grab the links for the .cab's and manually download and install as Dawgy posted just earlier. Never had a problem to date. Seem to recall it's pretty easy to unhide stuff in WUMT too.

As previously mentioned too, those guys who keep the Hotfix Repo updated are quick off the mark posting direct links to new updates, it's just another option.

5. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Tangentially related: am I mistaken in thinking that Enterprise users are less "spied" on than Home users? Someone should compare the EULA between the different windows versions.

I can imagine MS doesn't want to be sued if setting telemetry to "secure" doesn't do as advertised.

6. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #86 c6p0, Feb 12, 2017
  7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #87 endbase, Feb 12, 2017
  8. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #88 Nucleus, Feb 12, 2017
    Possibly worth mentioning again - KMS Telemetry:

Code:
    Disable KMS Telemetry:
    Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)/Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/All Settings/Turn off KMS Client Online AVS Validation/Enabled

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #89 endbase, Feb 12, 2017
    And who want to set telemetry to an minimale here is the reg

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection]
    "AllowTelemetry"=dword:00000000

Greetz base :tea:

10. MS-BOSS

MS-BOSS MDL Junior Member

Jun 24, 2015
    #90 MS-BOSS, Feb 12, 2017
    (OP)
    @ c6p0 - did you have any trouble at all, with anything, before or after Windows updates, by setting all that you have below?

All I did so far is turn everything OFF under Privacy, set Diagnostic to BASIC + disable Cortana and set Windows update to 2 (notify). I've set OneDrive not to start with Windows in it's own settings in the taskbar.

If you have no problems at all with all what you did, I'm thinking of applying the rest as well, but have some questions.

- Why disable KMS AVS validation, does that disable checking if Windows 10 is activated? Or is it something else?

- I've read that you can't set Telemetry to 0 (Security only) on a Windows 10 Pro but only Enterprise. Are you using Pro and you are able to do it?

- If you disable MAPS, will Windows Defender still work normally, updates and scans and all?

Thank you!

11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Nah, although sounding familiar, your's looks like using WU GUI :cool2:.

12. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #93 c6p0, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    - If you have no problems at all with all what you did, I'm thinking of applying the rest as well, but have some questions.
    Note I also uninstalled most of windows apps with CCleaner (as some of them can not be uninstalled through Windows). Everything works and I also carefully checked for any error messages in the event log. I have no error linked to what I did

- Why disable KMS AVS validation, does that disable checking if Windows 10 is activated? Or is it something else?
    "This policy setting lets you opt-out of sending KMS client activation data to Microsoft automatically. Enabling this setting prevents this computer from sending data to Microsoft regarding its activation state."
    As i used the local KMS activator from MDL h--ps://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products , no need to tell this Microsoft :D

- I've read that you can't set Telemetry to 0 (Security only) on a Windows 10 Pro but only Enterprise. Are you using Pro and you are able to do it?
    Yes, this is true. Only enterprise version support this. Read h--ps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization#telemetry-levels

- If you disable MAPS, will Windows Defender still work normally, updates and scans and all?
    Yes, update and scan work perfectly. The differences are 1/ nothing is sent to Microsoft in case of virus found 2/ it does not use Microsoft cloud for checking but only local database updated daily. You can even detect PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application) with MpEnablePus=1 (Entreprise Only)
    h--ps://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2015/11/25/shields-up-on-potentially-unwanted-applications-in-your-enterprise/

13. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
  14. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #95 s1ave77, Feb 12, 2017
    No CCleaner needed :cool2:.

Get all Store Apps List:
    Code:
    powershell -executionpolicy remotesigned Get-AppxPackage

For removal add all names to set command line:

Code:
    set "allappsremove=Bing, getstarted, photos, camera, store, xbox, netflix, twitter, messaging, windowscommunicationsapps, alarms, skype, zune, soundrecorder, phone, maps, people, office, candycrushsodasaga, farmville2countryescape, minecraftuwp, royalrevolt2, facebook, appconnector, 3dbuilder"
    for /d %%a in (%allappsremove%) do powershell -executionpolicy remotesigned Get-AppxPackage *%%a* ^| Remove-AppxPackage -verbose

15. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    you are right, powershell can be used to remove Windows Apps
    i just found CCleaner more user friendly

h__ps://i.imgur.com/BEvaUWd.png

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    CCleaner chops them out, and can cause troubles later on.

17. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Would never trust CCleaner or OOSU since they are very diffuse when it comes to documentation.

On the other hand even MS warmly recommends the powershell route when it comes to unattended Setup and all related to automatted Deployment of Windows.

The same applies for reinstalling them in a batch, that's why this way is considered very safe :good3:.

18. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I agree, Powershell is the recommended way to remove apps
    I was "lazy" last time I did it

19. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    #100 calpo, Feb 12, 2017
    @s1ave77

Hello,

I'm new to Powershell. Please tell how to run these command lines in Powershell.

Thanks so much for your help.