What is the cleanest way to disable MS spying in Win10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MS-BOSS, Feb 8, 2017.

1. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #101 s1ave77, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    The lines as shown are ment to run inside a batch script. To use in admin. CMD Prompt directly second line needs changes.

Inside a script:
    Code:
    set "allappsremove=Bing, getstarted, photos, camera, store, xbox,  netflix, twitter, messaging, windowscommunicationsapps, alarms, skype,  zune, soundrecorder, phone, maps, people, office, candycrushsodasaga,  farmville2countryescape, minecraftuwp, royalrevolt2, facebook,  appconnector, 3dbuilder"
    for /d %%a in (%allappsremove%) do powershell -executionpolicy remotesigned Get-AppxPackage *%%a* ^| Remove-AppxPackage -verbose

Directly from Prompt:
    Code:
    set "allappsremove=Bing, getstarted, photos, camera, store, xbox,  netflix, twitter, messaging, windowscommunicationsapps, alarms, skype,  zune, soundrecorder, phone, maps, people, office, candycrushsodasaga,  farmville2countryescape, minecraftuwp, royalrevolt2, facebook,  appconnector, 3dbuilder"
    for /d %a in (%allappsremove%) do powershell -executionpolicy remotesigned Get-AppxPackage *%a* ^| Remove-AppxPackage -verbose

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    #102 c6p0, Feb 12, 2017
    I like to remove apps for the current user only.
    this way, I can play with windows apps under a different user

there 3 levels of deletion
    * current user only
    * all (installed) users
    * system wide

Code:
        Get-AppxPackage -allusers PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
        Get-AppxPackage -user username PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
    Code:
    Get-AppxPackage | Out-GridView -PassThru
    interesting list ;)

3. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #103 s1ave77, Feb 12, 2017
    I prefer to only have contact to them in certain VMs, too much action to regularly switch between accounts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #104 Espionage724, Feb 12, 2017
    Even more minimal :p (run in admin command prompt)

Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "0" /f

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #105 Hadron-Curious, Feb 12, 2017
    Do those commands still work on removing apps in Redstone 2?

6. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    yes, it will in March 2017 :D

7. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I think that when this thread dies out, I will start another thread about a conspiracy theory and get things going again. Let's see what will we talk about.....

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Can I see a screenshot of the apps you removed with the commands in Redstone 2, please? They were one time not working on Redstone 2.

9. c6p0

c6p0 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    sorry, i do not use Redstone 2

10. Order_66

Order_66 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2010
    The last time I looked Microsoft didn't have a time machine so they can go back and fix their many privacy violations, how quickly people forget the sins of microsoft and trust them with their data and tell you that you should also trust them too or you should wear tin foil hats etc etc.

Did everyone forget when they deliberately went in to the personal files and folders of onedrive users and determined they were storing too many "entire movie collections"?
    What about that whole 'red X means yes' debacle?
    Deceitfully sliding in a windows 10 install while your backs were turned?

There are countless deliberate/blatant privacy violations by microsoft, anyone who is concerned about the baked in spyware with windows 10 has every legitimate reason in the world to worry about their privacy.

11. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    hahahahahahahahahaha

12. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    If it had been Apple you would be saying -- How horrible those users were to take advantage of the free space which Apple gave us. It left them no other choice. They do not have infinite storage.
    If it had been Apple you would be saying -- How wonderful Apple is. I woke up and had a FREE OS worth $199 already installed and waiting for me. They are totally awesome!
    If it had been Apple you would be saying -- This telemetry is totally awesome. I install a new build, and it remembers everything! And those reminders from my personal assistant is great! She can even find my phone!

13. Order_66

Order_66 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2010
    Yes of course, I must be an apple fanboy, how dare I point out documented facts about Microsoft and their deliberate abuse of consumer privacy, I keep forgetting in 2017 wrong is right and right is wrong.

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Didn't you know? Other companies do this, so therefore it's ok for Microsoft to do it too. We aren't allowed to criticize Microsoft for doing this, oh no. We just need to bend over backwards, accept it, and mock others who don't fall in-line :cool:

/s I honestly can't believe some people really think the above....

15. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Would also like to know in which reality passive aggressive processing of common clichés is a valid form of discussion.

I beg to differ between spreading FUD and pointing at issues. Even in case one doesn't share the concerns, i insist in having mine.

16. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I'm sorry but this is getting ridiculous. If you use One Drive you have no rights.

Look it's really simple: privacy and security is YOUR responsibility. Don't expect companies to do it for you. The dangers of cloud storage are well known. Especially when you use a "free" account: you're paying for it with your privacy. RTFM/EULA.

We live in a world now were you can't just do whatever and roll with it. You cannot use windows 10 out of the box. Just as you can't use Firefox, Facebook, Android or OSx out of the box. Blame society.

17. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Everyone can apply his own policy regarding his own privacy and it's his only own business.

The problem here is not that views differ about privacy, but that each side tries to ridicule the views of the other.

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Katzenfreund: Sometimes, we argue when we're both on the same side of the argument :eek:

@Fenicksrising: Spot on!

And once you know what to do to protect yourself, you're good to go. ;)

I was here when Windows 10 first came out. It leaked like a sieve, and it was important to bring the EULA and privacy concerns to light.
    That's all old news now. Since then, I watched people tighten down the screws and lock 10 down to where it's somewhat secure and usable.

The dust is still settling though. MS still has the capability to undo some things, although as quick as they do,
    someone comes up with a way to 'fix' it again. :)

I don't have a spare machine to dedicate to it ATM. If I did (and I had the time), I'd set up Win 10 and tinker.

Oh, and Welcome to MDL :)

19. Fox McCloud

Fox McCloud MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2013
    #119 Fox McCloud, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Build a pihole and plug it in to your router. Very simple. Will block telemetry, and any other form advertisement and trackers on your whole network.

pi-hole . net

I have one, but had it before Windows 10. I'm not overly bothered about Telemetry, helps them make it better. Now Google on the other hand...

20. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Reading all those post's about Telemetry, Security, Private Data, etc., etc., and the 'heated up' discussions here at MDL, let me really wonder, what all those users are up about?!

A simple fact is, neither Microsoft nor many other Sofware Developer Companies are on the hunt for to get the private (pirate) users of their software. They're hunting the corporate user, those who making money with their products in an illegal way by using their software unauthorized! Even a Manager of AutoDesk, the Maker of Auto CAD, told in an interview (some years ago) that they even need those so called pirate users for the 'fine tuning' of their products and that those 'pirates' are a great help in the development of it! Same would happen to Microsoft as well as many other Software Developers!

Another simple fact is, that Corporate users, called Companies, Organizations, etc., etc., working on a completely different system of Security as a private user ever would do, except in very few cases of exceptions! Those users are didn't mind to invest in such sophisticated Security Systems, because they get such investment back via Tax Reductions etc.! That the data used by those groups of users are maybe (much more) interesting for the Software Developer (and other Groups, Organizations, Agencies etc.) is simply fully understandable, for many reasons!

Sit down and start thinking about: WHAT are some Data of yours are MAYBE interesting for (Microsoft in the case of Windows 10) such those Groups? Ok, if you're a Paedophile, Terrorist or such member of a bad group of people, hopefully, those will be captured and locked up! Orf would you also say that's bad and not good?!

Think about to which Group of People/User you belong too!

Done that, start again to think deeply, what kind of security you really need to have on your PC to be afraid about!