What is the hidden partition for?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BBM, Mar 18, 2011.

1. BBM

BBM MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2011
    Why does windows 7 create it upon installation?

what is it used for?

2. HAL

HAL MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009
    I found this info about it:

Purpose of this partition

* It actually contains the Recovery Environment "WinRE" which will allow recovery of the system if a problem is detected at startup.
    * "WinRE" is accessed using the line "Repair your computer" in the advanced boot options (activated by pressing F8 at startup).
    * Once this partition is created, better not remove it because it contains system files and boot the Master Boot Record (MBR) that will be damaged or lost.
    * Note that the WinRE environment can also be loaded from the installation DVD of Windows Seven or from any recovery disk created.

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    In simple english, it contains the boot files. Handy thing about it it lets you use "repair computer" options (system restore, command prompt etc.) without needing a install dvd.

4. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    It is primarily used for BitLocker drive encryption which is available with the following editions.

Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Business, and Windows 7 Enterprise editions.

Although once the hidden partition is created it also has the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and the boot files along with the boot manager for booting up the computer in case of damage and without the Windows 7 DVD.

5. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Hello , 100mb partition has a ominous label System !

with the info provided above then the partition need not be backed up along with Boot partition C:\ ?

am I correct in my thinking ? thank you.