What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by sid_16, Jun 9, 2013.

1. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm. i think you missed your calling, de crust. you should have been a poet writing in longwinded german..i am afraid your posts remind me of Wagner...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mynorgeek

mynorgeek MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2020
    In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. In poetry, it's the exact opposite. - Paul Dirac

3. KBBgans

KBBgans MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2020
    I think that life has no meaning nor has a true meaning for each of every living being. All meaning in life depends on what you live for life. Whether in the form of stories, feelings, physical, activities, memories, and souls (and etc) that you have during your life.

You will find the meaning of life after living your life the way you choose.

The meaning of life and the meaning of death are only yours and God that you believe in.

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I would try to answer the question posed in the thread via Immanuel Kant:

https://www.qcc.cuny.edu/socialScie...ext=It is our duty to,it were a universal law.

"...to act in such a manner that we would want everyone else to act in a similar manner in similar circumstances towards all other people."

"Kant expressed this as the Categorical Imperative.

Act according to the maxim that you would wish all other rational people to follow, as if it were a universal law.

For Kant the GOOD involves the Principle of Universalizability!

Kant argues that there can be four formulations of this principle:

The Formula of the Law of Nature: "Act as if the maxim of your action were to become through your will a universal law of nature."

The Formula of the End Itself: "Act in such a way that you always treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, never simply as a means, but always at the same time as an end."

The Formula of Autonomy: "So act that your will can regard itself at the same time as making universal law through its maxims."

The Formula of the Kingdom of Ends: "So act as if you were through your maxims a law-making member of a kingdom of ends."

Never treat a person as a means to an end.

Persons are always ends in themselves. We must never use or exploit anyone for whatever purpose."

I.e. a universalisable manner of behaviour which will enhance life as such, not diminish it in any way.

Short, medium or long term!

Not just regarding (strictly speaking) Human society but much wider (the whole of Earth and life on it)...

Such a life was lived in a meaningful manner, I would claim!

Eejuts living to merely consume, amass, enslave, kill, destroy, rape, pillage and loot by any and all means necessary, regardless of the consequences of their behaviour - personally or societally - should be re-educated. If this would not be possible - jailed. They have the right to be punished for such a behaviour, Hegel would say, reflecting on the nature of evil in the world. But we may leave that for another topic...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Zastrugus

Zastrugus MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2020
    DOOM....All versions

6. Zastrugus

Zastrugus MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2020
  7. amajmon

amajmon MDL Senior Member

Sep 21, 2012
    "Is there any meaning of life?" Yes to die. Or to do something before you die?

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep I agree and :welcome:to MDL and save India too fantastic country, people, music and more :worthy::tankyou:

9. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Bat had to read who gave de one like and where :p First post so trying to make a noobie feel good :dunno:

10. talhaaxhar

talhaaxhar MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2020
    life is not all about sunshine and rainbow it's very means and nasty place it will beat you down to your knees and keep you their permanently it an't matter how hard you hit all matter is how hard you hit and keep moving forward.
    have a nice day thank you

11. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :g: your conclusion must be that it is imperative to duck in time, then...;):whistling:

12. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014

13. antiCMOS

antiCMOS MDL Junior Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Subjective nonsense. No one meaning is more or less valid than any other which is why it s all nonsense. There s no right or wrong answer. Obviously the fact that the answer is unknowable doesn t stop the question from being asked, but begs the question, what s the point in asking it? The question, and any answer to it is nonsense...except mine of course:D But seriously, the only answer that s sounds plausible,to this silly question is; to live. The meaning to life is to live; even for a cannibal.

14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    are you sure of this statement?

15. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    there is no answer, to every persion it's diferent, and with age their opinion changes, alas there is only the question !

16. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    meaning of life? to prepare for other side life.

17. Arachnoid

Arachnoid MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2010
    And if there is no other side why not make the most of what you have now......

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    very true what u believed once it later evaporates with time.

19. Crucibull

Crucibull MDL Junior Member

Sep 29, 2020
  20. NicholasUK

NicholasUK MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2021