What is the real speed of your SSD ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ForrestGump, Oct 29, 2018.

1. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I might of gone a little bit crazy 8)
    I bought a external enclosure w/ a JMS583 chip (image below) & installed a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 in it for USB speed testing on 2 Desktops & 1 Laptop PCs I have here @ home. Next I did a unscientific speed test watching the Windows 10 Read Speeds & taking a screenshot of the fastest. I also ran the AS SSD Benchmark app. on the external drive also (sorry couldn't fine one that will benchmark a external drive besides AS SSD).

Below are my results, the external case I used & a comparison w/ a plain old Samsung 860 EVO SSD, the results in the comparison are surprising (image below), the best was the Thunderbolt 3 speeds.

AS SSD M.2 NVME Type-C w-Samsung 970 EVO SSD_ 3GB.jpg 1a SHINESTAR - NVME Enclosure, 10Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2_ 1.jpg SSD n M.2 SSD speed comparison_ 1incl T480B.jpg

*To much info?

2. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    For comparison this is a Silicon Power 128Gb SSD I got on Amazon for $30. I usually buy Samsung, but I didn't have much money when I bought it.

sp128.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Your not reading the speed of the drive itself per se. But the limited usb speed (and chip) that the drive is connected too. Makes it silly to think an NVMe would work any better than a sata SSD using as an external

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Yep, I found that out w/ my testing it as a external drive, was hoping for faster.
    At least I found something to plug into the Thunderbolt 3 port :)

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I still have not got around to getting any Thunderbolt devices yet