What linux distro do you use

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 4D696B65, Jul 23, 2009.

1. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    #21 duh, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
    huge list man!

openwrt for wrt54g v5 (ram and flash hard modded to 64 mb :-D) planning debian wrt soon instead of openwrt
    openwrt for wrt54gl v1 *2 adding and deleting new hardwares and softwares.
    laptop: HP c734tu :-> Linux From Scratch, gentoo, archlinux, debian (sometime FTBFS if you use debian you will know whats FTBFS :-D), slackware, redhat RHEL straight from srpm's compiled and fresh, NEVER ***UBUNTU (but like the ubuntu help forum), freebsd, netbsd, openbsd, free/net/open BSD's from scratch.
    mmmm,
    no stable OS, on the 160 GB wd external harddrive? windows server 2008 ent ed with sp2.

summing up:
    dsl & wireless devices :-> openwrt/debian wrt
    laptops/desktops :-> freebsd/netbsd/openbsd (sometime building all from scratch), linux from scratch, debian (testing/sid only not stable, like to be on the bleeding edge), rhel since not free from source, gentoo, archlinux, fedora, and like now?
    p.s. linuxbios aka coreboot for 2 asus mobo desktops, :-D and i am trying my friggin jerky geek ass off to port coreboot to this c734tu laptop. cheap ass laptop i could afford to play all kinds of things.
    and yes i dont run mac because i down own a genuine mac osx dvd, and also because i compiled darwin, didnt like it, so i had remove it. will try and see if i can make tyancore get up and then try to get it to work with linuxbios aka coreboot.
    and yes also windows source code, the source code for windows XP and 2003 kernel via shared source.
    my very own live cd/dvd :-D
    OS is free, source code is free too, compile it, test it, burn it and run it.
    ;-)
    if you know to build live cd's, hehehe chweeeed, you will have fun.
    i guess its a long list. ciao!

2. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I use Linux Mint as dual-boot system beside Win7

3. Nuggs

Nuggs MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    #23 Nuggs, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
    Not using one at the moment... o_O

Well, mainly because I dual boot and it's not fun to fix grub after installing Windows and I haven't got Windows worked out yet...

Would skip the whole windows thing but need it to port programs from UNIX and GNU/Linux to Windows. :/

I've used everything under the sun I believe. Just about anyways...

Slackware is my all time favorite as it's one of the "true to UNIX(mostly)" flavors out there.
    Gentoo is awesome for the speed(after the three days of compiling your kernel, desktop software and whatever else you install.
    Mandrake(Mandriva) sucks, used to be good back in the day.
    Ubuntu is nice I'm just having a hard time installing it since some of the newbs from my work like it.
    PCLOS is okay but I think their gcc copies are a little weird, a lot of inconsistencies between my server and my home pc when trying out that distro.
    Linux Mint is quite awesome and it uses a lot of green colors. :)

Now, I am on a quest to find a new distro. o_O

I don't like Fedora, OpenSuSE and a lot of the big players like that. Think I am off to try Puppy Linux or DSL. :) Or probably in all actuality just install the latest Debian(Really freaking sweet btw) and call it a day.

Apt is nice anyways.

4. Ecko

Ecko MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    Ubuntu for my site
    Suse & Mandriva as others....!!! beside Win7 & XP

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    @duh^^^^^^ I dont think you could offend anyone, as it it probably most impossible to gather any intelligible offerings from that rant..:eek:

That post was a gross waste of space in this thread; nothing constructive, and mostly incoherent..

Free to change, not necessarily free to obtain....Linux is a true marvel to be around as long as it has, as strong as it has...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mazodude

mazodude MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    #29 mazodude, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    I use ubuntu (although i converted it to ubuntu studio) on my netbook
    ubuntu on my main pc
    and freenas on my file server

7. prestone

prestone MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2009
    ubuntu the best of system!

8. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    may we reframe the question, please. this is confusing.

i would like to start of stating something, i am not the "one-man-who-knows-it-all", this is a community where we share information, may be i am a little skilled with open source information, but that doesnt make me the god by any chance and i dont want to be some worshipped deity. i am here to share information and also there upon learn from the feedbacks. as i believe getting feedbacks positive and negative helps me and also constructive and destructive than being a believer of the adamantive i know it all.

THATS BECAUSE W/O mydigitallife.net I WOULD HAVE NEVER GOT WINDOWS VISTA ACTIVATED AND ALSO THE WINDOWS SERVER 2008 OEM ENTERPRISE KEY I WOULD BE NOWHERE WITH INSYDEH2O.

yes i said it in caps to show i really like this forum, else i will neglect and forget something ever happened. i had to install windows server 2008 ent ed on a external USB. wd 160 GB. and thats the main drive i use when i visit my clients. and the oem key made the gap fill completely. so since i got so much info related to M$ wrt to activation i guess its a small duty to contribute what i know. hope it works. and now back to business.

SUA is not old, its new compared to cygwin and cygwinX aka cygwinlive, there is also co-linux along with cygwin, if you been playing around with OS, be it vmware or live in the system, you will be well aware of the facts and facets.

Linux is not free, as in free beer, even freebeer aka open source beer is also not free, you need to work your way out my friend be it odd or even. unlike M$ (i am also learning to code the M$ kernel, so i heavily depend on source code for both M$ and OpenSource) the GPL vX.Y and LGPL vX1 is not that strict and stringent.
    viz. you cant distribute the code for free, w/o the agreed upon agreement between you and M$ and if you at all distribute it must have a prior licence and also a permission. the binaries cannot be used for commercial interest is another drawback. so the source code for the kernel is as good as for self development related to coding and development.
    and lastly, open source cant be classified here in this topic, open source is kernel i.e. the BSD/Linux/GNU kernel, rest is application. and to be precise even darwin from apple mac is open source and M$ also gives its kernel source code, so everything is open source and nothing is closed source. and if we argue here as which is open source fav OS, we are just the figament of our own imagination.
    so if you mean by Open Source OS? then we boil down to either 4.4/4.3 BSD kernel (net/open/free/et al. BSD) or Linux kernel (GNU/Linux) or Apple Darwin (Darwin Kernel). now point out the mistake please.

so, information be it small or large, and considering the fact, that the question here itself is confusing "favourite open source OS." boils down to the core as "different strokes for different folks." i may like debian based distros (SORRY UBUNTU IS NOT I HAVE USED), or redhat based rpm distro or DIY BIY own distro is upto someone. may be the question can be narrowed down to?
    "your favourite OS you like to work with."
    else with so much choice and so little time and resource the choice gets a chance to explode. and just because i dislike ubuntu (a typical debian smuck) doesnt mean i will discourage others, its their right to use it. and i cant stop them.
    no offence given/taken to ubuntu users.

conclusion: Open Source Linux Is Nothing But The Bare Metal Kernel, Which Helps The System Boot. The source code is available to all, and all are entitled to do anything they feel like, provided they read the licence agreement.

9. wasserkool

wasserkool MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    Using ubuntu 8 on my file server with the following specs:

Opteron 165
    2GB DDR RAM
    ASUS Server motherboard (forget the name)

8X 500GB Seagate 7200.10 HDD in Raid 5
    3Ware 9550SX Raid Controler
    1X Fujitsu 10K RPM SCSI Drive
    1X Maxtor 10K RPM SCSI Drive

10. najamesk1

najamesk1 MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2009
    I use Fedora, (currently the latest version, 11). Its stable and backed by the RedHat community.

I used Ubuntu as a secondary, but not as often because for some... really odd reason, my sound card isn't compatible with Ubuntu. (its not that i have some really freaky unnamed sound card, its a sound blaster, but its just THAT model that has the problem apparently)

11. canyonbreeze

canyonbreeze MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    I originally built a second computer to learn Linux and installed Fedora. After a month or two of messing around and crashing I did a fresh install using Debian. About this same time my 'main' computer running Windows XP crashed and burned. I never fixed it. Now, about 2 years later, I'm a happy Debian user with virtual machines running Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Leopard and Snow Leopard. Won't go back to full time MS OS, ever.

12. stealthl

stealthl MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Linux Mint 7 X64

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. cursive

cursive MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    I use Debian Lenny on 2 of my servers.

14. swarup1987

swarup1987 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    I like to use Debian A linux distro.

15. re*s.t.a.r.s.*2

re*s.t.a.r.s.*2 MDL Junior Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Lol everyone its well advanced with Linux, I have Ubuntu 8.04 as my server, has apache, mysql, postfix, proftp, webmin, using my dsl line, althought i would like not to smarthost with free gmail account, lol, Oh also I have it setup with Dynamic dsl Line....

16. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009