What linux distro do you use

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 4D696B65, Jul 23, 2009.

1. cantyff

cantyff MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2010
    I think Ubuntu is a great package to get up and running. I installed it on various machines without any unfixable problems .Also Knoppix is an awesome tool for investigating and fixing PC's .

2. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #82 RJARRRPCGP, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Make sure you do:

Code:
    pacman -Syu
    Before installing ANYTHING else!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fafhrd

fafhrd MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2010
    SuperOS - like Mint, it is a modded Ubuntu, very easy to use, recognises most common hardware/peripherals out of the box - wireless adapters, usb devices, printers, scanners etc., less good with softmodems and webcams. Dead easy update management and installation of apps and packages - shares Ubuntu Software repository and has its own too. Nice to use and does not have the usual Linux "feel" to it, if that makes any sense to anyone.

Just about to try Mint, to see how it compares. Will let you know.

4. Cozmo1

Cozmo1 MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    Mandriva PowerPack 2010 - love it! Also use Red Hat 5.4 (won't use 5.0 - 5.2 ever again)... have tried most of all the rest. Never really liked Ubuntu. Mint is indeed very good.

5. cpt.kernel

cpt.kernel MDL Novice

May 21, 2010
    Do not know if this has been mentioned however I have been an avid PCLINUXOS usr for more than 5 years.Pclinuxos was originally based on mandrake before the move to
    mandriva.It is currently a kde 4.4 rpm distro that uses synaptic front end for apt-get. The founder Tex was one of the best 3rd party rpm packagers around in the old
    mandrake days ,then forked out on his own.It is also available in a few other desktop environments or in kde 4 case,software compilations.Comes with ati or nvidia
    installed. A minime version is available for the ones who would like to start with a scaled down version.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Ubuntu 10.4 x64 running from .vhd with vboot from Vlite

sebus

7. computergeek

computergeek MDL Junior Member

Feb 14, 2010
    It seems like every release of Ubuntu is getting worse and worse in my opinion. GNOME is just too slow and Windows 7 is faster than Ubuntu on my PC. I love Xubuntu 10.04.

8. neo11

neo11 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2010
    Free as in Beer

I think Richard Stallman said this in his GNU manifisto. :)

9. neo11

neo11 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2010
    :D I use a highly bastardized fedora/LFS setup for the flexibility :rolleyes: . I use the
    box as a NAT router over wireless for the Windows boxes in the house. This way
    everyone can get on the internet at the same time. Even play multi player games
    in different rooms. I never posted here because I had the perhaps mistaken idea that this was a doze only board. I have found most windows guys are usually Linux haters. Got into Linux/Unix/Solaris years ago. Also was sold by the fact that many high end IP routers run Linux. Been hooked every since :). Also sometimes windows is as enjoyable as a root canal :mad:. Nice to have an alternative sometimes.

10. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    attitude and choice of software and and likes and dislikes (not hatred) ways we share the same ideas. just i have given up on native WIN install. man it rapes my resources.
    i am also into LFS, lfs -> blfs -> cblfs -> clfs -> now into hardened kernel's and beating my kernel juice up. smashing and smashing and removing all the dirty bugs from kernel, creating patches, trying to write drivers for kernel, selinux, grsec, selinux, apparmor, tomoyo and pam well with all security sometime i run into major issues. like system locks me down into the box thinking i am an intruder.
    sigh. paranoia is a mental disease. i guess. :-D
    yer right, this part, is the only interesting section in the entire forum, the newbie questions reminds me of how i used to ask the same questions in IRC in 1999-2000. then i picked up. and now i do all the work myself. foo fu foo fu patches and wewwwwwwwwwww.
    echo "main(){}" > dummy.c && gcc -v -g -Wall -ansi -pedantic -O6 -o dummy dummy.c && strip -s dummy && wipe -crfi dummy*
    ;-) + unsocial. :-D
    bye

11. vasquezkelley

vasquezkelley MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    I am using Ubuntu 10.4 and it is really great from the others. It has very wonderful features so you can work very well. There is no problem to use, installation and upgradation. It works very well. Its performance is really better than others.

12. mamamia88

mamamia88 MDL Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Another one using ubuntu 10.04. what can i say once i install my drivers I am good to go. I use ubuntu because I know if I run into a problem I will most likely find a solution via google or ubuntu forums. I don't really want anything more complicated at this point in my life

13. crosscriss

crosscriss MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2010
    For the last couple of years I've used Mint, it's pleasant to look at, and things work straight out of the box, I guess I'm getting lazy.
    If you want to look a bit more of a geek, try Gentoo, that'll make your brain ache.

14. leather_nun

leather_nun MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2010
    LINUX!!!! Gawd I love it... Thi first one I managed to get into a PC was Suse 6.0 came on like, 5cd's... this was back when it was still tricky to use anything but an ISA bus modem...

My favorite distro is kanotix.
    small but VERRRRY kewl Knoppix/Ubuntu derivative

Right after that (and closely related) is Sidux, many of the saME developers working on it

The feature most important with a *nix distro is THE SUPPORTING COMMUNITY -- with both of these distro, the IRC channel is always avail, NOT full of "bots" and though many of the devel's are german, there's always someone that speaks english...

Good thread!
    Ln

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. computergeek

computergeek MDL Junior Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Mandriva all the way, and yea, like the people that have posted above me, it's all about the person's preferences. Me, myself, I dislike where Canonicial is going with Ubuntu. I now run Mandriva 2010.1 GNOME full time and I don't have Windows installed anymore. Mandriva is fast, works out of the box, and has a great community.

16. ad!k

ad!k MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2010
    I am a totally N0ob when it comes to Linux .... right now I am dual-booting Ubuntu Lucid and Windows 7 ... but planning to move to another linux distro once I get the hang of it.

17. lollett

lollett MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2010
    Attended the Redhat training courses.... but ubuntu!

18. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    Ubunto Linux FTW :cool:

19. GrootWitBaas

GrootWitBaas MDL Novice

May 30, 2010
    For home use Ubunto ...same reason, I am lazy.
    For server centos, and at work limited to using debian.

20. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    I am definitely a distro-hopper. I currently have Fedora running on my server, Linux Mint 9 on both the laptop and desktop, and Easy Peasy on my netbook.