what makes windows 8.1 freezing in desktop computer

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by carmz, May 3, 2014.

1. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi, I just want to ask what makes the windows 8.1 freezing in desktop computer is this related to my hardware?...I observe that when my PC boots up in windows if i open My computer it will "Not Responding" for few seconds then,When I installed some application like visual studio and i will open again my computer it will "Not Responding" even i click the start menu it will freeze for 1 min. or few seconds...And also if during the widows installation update my PC will ran into problem,it will crush blue screen...then it will perform chkdsk ,then it restarted again then it turns to black screen i waited for 2 hours but still it did not get to windows...again i install the windows 8.1 and then install back my applications...then i still observe freezing...it's been 3 months i am not using my desktop properly...

Please help me how do i solved this freezing.

Thank you in advance.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #2 Mr.X, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    I would do a HDD diagnostic in the first place.:)
    HDDs are the most prone part in a computer to wear out through time.

3. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    My HDD is new :),...I really don't understand why it keeps freezing,by the way maybe windows8.1 don't like dual core cpu ?

4. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Follow Mister X's advice - new is no guarantee it is OK - I RMA'd 2 HDs so far this year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi,I think my HDD is almost 3 and half months since i bought this to the store...and also in the store they diagnose the HDD and they found ok,they also try install O.S and after that they also try install 5 heavy applications,and they also try restart,but it did not show freezing they also open my computer when they install application but it runs okay and smoothly,I don't understand why if i install my HDD in box and turn it on,it will freeze again...

6. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    #6 taviruni, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Change data cable to another plug in MB making also the change in Bios or UEFI Bios and run PC, if this dosn't solve the problem change data cable for a new one, if problem persist there may be someting wrong in your MB or the temperature inside your box is too high, also I would check power source just in case.

7. carmz

carmz MDL Senior Member

Nov 29, 2011

Hi, MB means motherboard?...So you mean i will going to connect (HDD) to sata1 to sata2,then the sata2 which is my dvdrom i will connect to sata3?......How do i know if my powersource is not working properly???.I tried to look the switch it's turning "ON" and also i double check if it is properly connected to the board....I also bought new heatsink for my CPU and it's turning ON, the fan spin,.....By the way if the fan spin in the CPU does there's possible to get the temperature HIGH?

Thank you in advance.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Also, if the MB is older then 1½-2 years, update the BIOS! Could also be a problem of Dust and/or Moisture!
    Remove the Memory Module and use an soft Pencil Rubber for to clean the connector feets and use an toothbrush together with an bit of airflow for to 'clean' the PCI and Memory Module Sockets.

The suggestion for to check the HDD should also be followed! Good apps for that's are HDD Regenerator, DRevitalize and HD Sentinel!@

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    How about some specs on your hardware? Could be more memory would help. Run a full scan with both anti-virus and anti-malware. How many services are running and does the Task Manager show a process using 100%? Should also run "sfc /scannow" to verify OS integrity.

10. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    As best i can tell or find Win 8.1 has no issue with Dual Core or Quad Core CPU. both my Dual and Quad core work just fine. with Win 8- 8.1 - 8.1.1.
    FREEZE and CPU issue, and he claims HDD is NEW, then I would think he really should.
    SFC /scannow from Boot Media ....

11. testerhn2005

testerhn2005 MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2008
    It seems the Windows 8 will something lag at the start up as if you click to File Explorer too early.

12. my2cents

my2cents Guest

#13 my2cents, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
    That would certainly open the door for more specific (eg, targeted) concerns IMHO.

A good alternative place to start (lacking system specs) IMHO.

If errors or corruption are reported by sfc /scannow, run this command to attempt repair:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

13. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If you are using a custom anti-virus program, uninstall it.

14. Lysoform

Lysoform MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2011
    Have your checked your RAM and if the sticks are compatible among them?

15. netmaniack

netmaniack MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Have You checked Eventlog?

Have You tested HDDs SMART? Does it shows crc errors?