What Screenshot Tool is Your Favorite?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Rosa Green, Aug 14, 2014.

1. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    #41 WIKIMACK, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

Print Screen and Paint

3. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    I'm pretty sure these people that say "Print Screen and Paint" are joking or they rarely do screen captures.

If you need to do several windows screenshots, for documentations, tutorials or whatever, there is no way to do it harder than using printscreen+paint.

I can't imagine capture a screen, paste it to paint, then crop the image, draw arrows, ciircles, insert text comments, blur sensitive areas of text, with one of the poorest image editors available.

After test almost all tools available, I've found Greenshot and ShareX the best ones.

My criteria is it must be freeware, light on resources, and easy to use, with integrated image editor.

After properly configured, ShareX is very close to what I looking for.

4. Kuberg

Kuberg MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2014
    #44 Kuberg, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    My favorite Screenshot Tool is FastStone Capture, it has a small interface but a lot of options.
    Especially the screen recorder tool is easy to use and great ...:rolleyes:

Attached Image: Interface of FastStone Capture

From the Info:
    FastStone Capture is a powerful, lightweight, yet full-featured screen capture tool and screen video recorder. It allows you to easily capture and annotate anything on the screen including windows, objects, menus, full screen, rectangular/freehand/fixed regions as well as scrolling windows/web pages. It also allows you to record all screen activities including onscreen changes, speech from microphone, mouse movements and clicks into highly compressed video files.
    FastStone Capture saves images in BMP, GIF, JPEG, PCX, PNG, TGA, TIFF and PDF formats.
    Built-in screen recorder saves videos in WMV (Windows Media Video) format.

Attached Files:

5. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Yes Faststone capture is the best. I've come across situations when Snagit could not capture correctly but Faststone could. Plus faststone is really lightweight.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just only one big CON: Faststone Capture is Payware!

No doubt, it's an great apps, I didn't deny that! Just to pay 20 bucks for an Screen Capture apps, is simply not worth the money. Beside of that, like many others of this tools, it didn't offers free online space for to keep captured content! That's the Main Reason I use PostImage. Further more, the other tool I use: ScreenShotCapture in conjunction with EasyScreenRecorder, I got even more than Faststone could provide me. And an Lifetime License for ALL products on Donationcoder.com has cost me just 5 Bucks and that's what count's for me!

No offence in any means, it's just my personal way and likes and I don't like to use any pirated apps for other reason than just for to test out it's worth to buy or not!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    Agree with Pisthai.

Lots of freeware capture tools have almost the same features of the payed ones, if not more.

As sidenote, ShareX can upload to a bunch of services, like imgur, imageshark, tinypic, flickr, dropbox, onedrive, mega, to name a few.

My only complain is ShareX have way too much functionality, latest versions can even do video capture.

8. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Thanks for telling me about ShareX, I always wanted a tool that can upload the screen capture on the fly and FastStone Capture is missing this vital feature

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...