What Security Software Are You Using to Secure Windows XP in 2019???

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Janie D., Jun 1, 2019.

1. Janie D.

Janie D. MDL Novice

May 23, 2019

Technical support or share tips and tricks for Windows XP / Older OS.

Sorry all...I'm new here but wanted to pick brains far wiser than mine. I'm running up against a hard deadline to continue securing my XP SP3 system. Currently running Bitdefender Total Security 2015 that is set to expire in about 2 months. I'm finding it difficult to identify an appropriate "paid" replacement now in 2019 that will allow me to continue to secure Windows XP to the best of my ability -- it seems, most providers have piggy-backed on the bandwagon to discontinue support of it. There HAS to be some paid package I can consider -- I know some offer freeware, but my confidence level on those are low.

I've had a brand new Ryzen 7 Windows 10 system that's been sitting in a box for over a year now...and do have a Windows 10 laptop that I hate using. My old reliable workhorse gets the job done at MY direction because I can't stand the babysitting big-brother involved with the "new & improved." Plus I've got a small fortune in apps and hardware that I can't migrate to Windows 10.

How are you securing your Windows XP systems? Thanks for any guidance you can give!

2. assenort

assenort MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2016
    Symantec Endpoint Protection Client

It is very heavy on the hardware, but is easily configurable and does a pretty good job for me.

3. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Addicted

Nov 7, 2011
    #3 MELERIX, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    I use MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS v4.4.304.0 + extra feature PUA protection enbaled by registry key...

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware]
    "PUAProtection"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\MpEngine]
    "MpEnablePus"=dword:00000001

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    just keep it turn off is the safes ;)

5. livecd

livecd MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2019
    I find the best way to keep your Xp safe and secure is to use Disk2vhd to back up Xp in the state it is in, so if you experience a crash or get ransomware, you literally have a backup of everything in a Vhd. Of course, that's if you don't use it very often.