What Security Software Are You Using to Secure Windows XP in 2019???

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Janie D., Jun 1, 2019.

1. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    No one in his right mind uses XP in 2019.

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    As long as you pull out your ethernet and wifi adapters, It's perfectly safe to use Windows XP in 2019. Just stay off the internet. :nono3:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Its kind of fun to have what would have been a beyond possible in the day retro gaming system.

As long as its offline, none of the security stuff matters.

4. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    That's a strange argument.

- You still can get infected by drive-by malware via e.g. USB (XP HAS NO PROTECTION) against any drive-by malware and there is no "Defender" pre-installed.
    - How you game on XP when your favorite game includes malware?! Or god help, malware which alters the boot loader, which means when you have another OS installed or re-install another OS the malware might survives. What then?!
    - Gamers (typically) using new stuff not old stuff, or their play on the original retro console. Emulation is much better with newer systems due to API specific changes, fixes etc which are not been introduced in XP.
    - Newer hardware like Ryzen CPU's are not going to work on an EOL OS. The performance would be horrible anyway since XP wasn't designed to utilize many cores.

MS does not support XP, using an EOL system is always critical and the advice "just stay offline" is low as hell. I already explained why.

There is not any single argument "pro XP" and people like you are basically the reason why infection is still easy peasy possible, they refuse to update and think they are safe because they are offline, that's entirely the wrong thinking and dangerous as hell.

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #45 Tiger-1, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    I totally agree.

7. Karma88

Karma88 MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2019
    "https everywhere" just gives the illusion that it is save with the transport and TLS 1.1 and 1.2 is not a regestry trick it is available under windows program and features and there just go in activate windows features and there click on support for SMB.

i am in traing for it systemintegration. i learnd that yesterday. if you wanna be safe and make it correct do it this way.

your way just gives ppl a illusion.

8. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
    Hahaha :roflmao: i agree with you

9. NST_Adventure

Jun 1, 2019
    #49 NST_Adventure, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    You Right Better Not connect to internet
    Malware are everywhere now ;)

And....
    This Is A Very Right Choice My Friend Because Windows XP Is No longer Supported By Miscrosoft And Friends :)

10. NST_Adventure

Jun 1, 2019
    Thank You For PUA Protection Registry ;)

Only Available In Windows XP Buddy? ;)

Best Regards
    NST_Adventure

11. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    OSARMOR by No Virus Thanks (current version 1.4.3) works on XP. It monitors processes /pathways that malware commonly uses to infect a machine. It is free. I use it with Malwarebytes and have had no conflicts. I use it in 7 and 10 also.

AVS Firewall 2.1.2.241 is still available on Softpedia ( last version from 2010, discontinued). This protects against suspicious registry changes, so it may be useful. I have not tried it yet.

AOMEI Backupper 2.0.2 (free) can be downloaded from Filehorse ( which has many older versions of software). Backupper 2.0.2 will clone a system disk to an SSD (disk clone). I keep my clean XP install on a regular 3.5 spinner drive. I then clone it to an SSD and use that online. If I have a problem, or think I might be infected, I wipe the SSD and clone from the 3.5 drive and I am back in business. A pretty easy to use backup / disk clone software, and Free!

Old versions of Comodo firewall are available on Filehorse as well. You may need to search with the version number you want to get it to appear in search results, but it is there. I am on 5.12.252301.

So there's a couple I have not seen mentioned.

12. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    Agreed, but for laptops from the Pentium era nothing beats XP.

Although I did ran Windows Embedded Standard 7 on a Dell D810 and it ran very, very well for a Pentium M/Radeon X600 machine!

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    One of the ATM's in the shopping center reboot itself. 486 running XP...

14. Nojus2001

Nojus2001 MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2019
    I use Common sense (don't use any AntiViruses) but I do have some tweaks applied to secure a little bit :)

15. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    The worst case of safe surfing biting people in the ass I have ever seen was an ISP webmail page containing exploits.

Safe surfing implies that safe sites can never be compromised, which is untrue. If you have an XP machine online just assume it will be compromised at some point and use it accordingly. If that never happens its a nice bonus.

16. Ha, beaten me to it :D

But anyway, no matter what protection people get for a 17-year-old operating system, XP is still vulnerable, and more than ever. Seriously it's that ancient. People just need to let go.

17. selflearner

selflearner MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2017
  18. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    My XP is on the CD and in the closet. I put a bit anti moth powder, I think it's good enough.