What should I use for Multi-OS backups?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS, Jun 19, 2018.

1. YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS

YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS MDL Junior Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Hey so I'm working on a dual-boot windows + linux workstation, and I need to make clones of the whole disk (including ALL OS's). It needs to be separate from both OS's, so a Windows or Linux application won't work. I also don't have a backup server so I guess that leaves me looking for a dedicated backup OS.

Ideally, it should be something I can triple-boot along with Windows and Linux, and if I ever need it I can just select it from GRUB and click a restore button. My main concern is Windows system corruption so I'm not worried about drive failure.

I've never used clonezilla before, but it looks almost perfect - it handles both linux and Windows easily and it offers a local install option.

So, I'm planning on setting up clonezilla as a third boot option on its own partition, and then manually boot into clonezilla and save a backup to that partition whenever I want.

However, I do wish it had more built-in recovery applications, like systemrescuecd does.

I could use some guidance here... Is clonezilla a good choice for this? Does its local installation option work that way, or will I need to save the backup to a separate device or partition? How do you recommend I set this up?

Thanks!

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It depends on your setup.

If you use different Partitions for that two OS'es, you could just use to safe each Partition as an Image to an external (USB-) Harddrive, which would just require the space actually used in each Partition. Personally, I would use HD-Clone for that job, it's easy to use and very fast.

To give you a better advice, you'll need to post your actual setup in details.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...