What to do about Edge...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mrfantasy, Mar 6, 2017.

1. mrfantasy

mrfantasy MDL Junior Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Mmmmm... Since I'll have to reinstall every program if I reset Windows, I'm going to wait. Will Microsoft actually do an update? If they do the update, will it be an update I can use instead of one that wrecked mine???

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Yes you can Get update here or on Windows update, we are waiting on exact date it will be released,
    but it is whole new operating system (Windows 10)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Of course you CAN download something installed. You can also re-install it, either on top of the existing installation, which may repair it, or better after removing the existing. And there are ways posted at MDL for removing Edge.

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Not completely correct. Most appx packs can be removed/restored easily, but Edge and Xbox are hybrid by design and will throw an error when trying to uninstall with powershell, needs to get rid of the connected system packs first.

Uninstall isn't the aim of OP, and reinstating Edge proved to be very bitchy in my various test scenarios.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
    You realize this leaves me in a disadvantage. You might know which appx packs needs to be uninstalled to totally delete Edge; but I do not. Perhaps could do me this favor and tell me which ones??? FAG GEDDA 'BOUT IT!!!! :cool: Being born in Brooklyn, NY and being Italian, the truth comes out. Forgive me...

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I don't believe your choice of words makes anyone want to jump at chance to help you, good day :tasty:

7. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
    Excuse me? I suppose I'm just going to go in the corner of the room and talk to myself... You're no fun. Lobo. :31: Slave? What do you have to say about the whole affair??? :unsure:

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #28 s1ave77, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
    #29 mrfantasy, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  10. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
  11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I mean what I said, namely that removing Edge need not be complex, which should not be hard to understand.

13. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Seems you completely missed my points.

a) i never said complex, but bitchy since it's half appx and half a protected system pack and therefore needs tools like install_wim_tweak to remove, with the right tools everything is easy :cool2:

b) i mostly meant the re-install that offered a 50:50 chance for success in all my tests.

c) in your link i missed some warnings and credits for the tool he uses :g:.

14. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    If you try it, as in the case of any intervention on system components and registry, make sure to create a system backup beforehand.

15. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
    dunno...

So far, when I run UninstallEdge, it brings up the command windows. Would you please tell me what does this mean? It says it couldn't find anything in the registry; however when I checked, it's still there. :confused:

Also, when I tried to install_wim_tweak, it told me to, "Type path to mounted install.wim :" Again, I'm just a novice. I do what mounting means and the path; but I do not where I'm supposed to put which path into? :dunno:

I realize I'm asking a lot; but I do not know how to proceed. Please help me.

Attached Files:

16. mrfantasy

Sep 17, 2013
    No, the automatic way didn't work for me; but manually doing it great! Thank you!!! Really, I have my brain in my ass. All I had to do was to search on the net for "How to Remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10." That would be too easy though... Instead I had to bother you and other tech heads for encouragement. Please have pity on me. :eek: Again, thank you and God bless you. :D

17. meomeo031

meomeo031 MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2017
    I have been using the insider preview version for Windows 10 for quite some time now and recently I got to interact with edge as well. Believe me, Chrome/FF are still way better!

PS: Not sure how much optimized is the final release!