What to do after Modding BIOS?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by FlamingPony, Jul 9, 2013.

1. FlamingPony

FlamingPony MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2013
    #1 FlamingPony, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    (first post)
    So I went through with the (UEFI) BIOS mod, flashed, installed certificate (WIN 7 Ultimate) and entered the key. Windows in genuine. :worthy:

OK, now what? Anything I should/can do to test my system is all good?
    I enabled ACPI and I know it's working (well, at least hot-plugging works - it's a useful feature for me).

Anything else? Can anyone make suggestions?
    FWIW: mobo is GIGABYTE H77-D3H (rev 1.1).

2. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FlamingPony

FlamingPony MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2013
    #3 FlamingPony, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    (OP)
    ..you're right. I checked that windows is activated, not that it's genuine. Thanks.
    And other than that? for making sure BIOS didn't get mess-ed up somehow?
    Like I wrote, ACPI seems to work OK (I know ACPI modules were updated). Anything else I should/can test?

Edit: Yup, it's genuine (and it installed a plugin in Firefox. Rant rant rant).

4. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    I believe you are OK to go, no special things to do. Start using your Windows and if something happened, come and report.
    Enjoy your time ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FlamingPony

FlamingPony MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2013
    (Not enough Mana. Can't quote links)
    Not sure how it's related to what I'm asking but... thanks. I'll do that.

6. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #7 redroad, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    "OK, now what? Anything I should/can do to test my system is all good?" that is what you asked

Checking the event logs both for applications and sytem will show you where the problems may lay if you have any .. The link from above will correct one issue you will see in the logs that will occur if you installed W7 Sp1 ultimate .. The fix is in the link and a description of why it has never been fixed ..

Also while in the management console check the device manager for any drivers that were not installed

7. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    Good information. Thanks redroad :)

8. FlamingPony

FlamingPony MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2013
    OK, you made some good suggestions regarding what to do next to make sure my system is in good shape, but, correct me if I'm wrong - those are not specific to BIOS modding.
    So let me ask it differently: When things does go wrong - when should I suspect it's caused by a faulty BIOS?

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    I assume the Bios mod was done to add a different slic and was done to the most current Bios release from the manufacturer with the Bios settings on default .. That being the case the only things to check as to whether the mod was successful after you added the cert and key is whether you are genuine which you have done .. For consideration also is the Bios settings since they were set to default .. The AHCI or RAID setting would not have been activated at default and must be done prior to OS install ..

10. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    Yes, those are not specific for BIOS modding. I believe a faulty BIOS flash either be 1) successful or 2) your MB will not light up again. Now, you flashed it successfully, so, enjoy your life :dance:

11. FlamingPony

FlamingPony MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2013
    I guess that's that.
    It's the first time I do a BIOS mod (I did almost bricked my previous PC with a bad BIOS flash). Just wanted to learn a bit more, which I have.
    Thank you mohamedkamel and redroad for answering my questions.

12. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    You're welcome and congrats on your new mod:)

13. FlamingPony

FlamingPony MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2013
    Thank you.
    The kudos all goes to the persons how developed the tools and for those who provided the certificates and OEM:SLP keys.
    I just followed instructions.

14. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    And to you too, because you have learnt :)

15. fr40

fr40 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2007
    if all are alright you as been flashed bios with a new one and activate with cert and oem serial and enjoy it playing the guitar in my case! :biggrin:

16. FlamingPony

FlamingPony MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2013
    #17 FlamingPony, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    (OP)
    It's been a while since I visited here. It's a good thing, imho, since it means everything works perfectly since I modded my BIOS. Again, kudos for the tool developers, community managers, how-to writers and other most helpful people.

The reason I'm back is that it seems it's time to upgrade the bios. I'm still on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I'll probably upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64bit in the foreseeable future - if not for god (we'll see how I like it) just to reserve a license and roll back to 7.
    But the sorter-term plan is to upgrade the VIA Audio driver, which requires flashing the latest BIOS (version F16b) for my Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H (rev. 1.1) mobo.

I have a few questions:
    1. The upgrade path is the same as before, right? flash the original EFI from DOS, mod/SLIC the BIOS and flash the modded BIOS from DOS. Am I right?
    2. At the time I used phoenixtool 2.14. I should use the latest version, 2.66. right?
    3. I didn't keep the SLIC I used the previous time around. I do remember it was a DELL OEM SLIC. I'm not even sure if it was 2.0, 2.1 or 2.2 (probably 2.1 right?). Any way to recover it so I can use the same SLIC? What if I use a different DELL SLIC. Will it cause problems? Will it cause problem with the 7 -> 10 upgrade availability?

Thank you so much!

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    use slic toolkit 2 to see the exact name of slic.. use same to keep it activated.

flash from dos both yes.. do load defaults after each flash.

pmtool 2.66 should be fine.

18. FlamingPony

FlamingPony MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2013
    Any special reason I should use slic toolkit v2? Isn't the latest version 3.2?

19. FlamingPony

FlamingPony MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2013
    Done!
    All's good, everything seems to be in order. Windows is validated/activated/genuine.
    I'll gladly post the SLIC-ed bios if you think it'll help others. Where should I do that and what additional info should I include?