What went wrong with Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Hustle910, Feb 6, 2011.

1. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    i didn't hate Vista, but i think 7 is much superior, and faster. Along with better appearance and features

2. 2percent

2percent MDL Member

Sep 17, 2010
    To put it simply, Vista tried to compete with an OS that many people liked. That generated a lot of dislike, and as we all know, changing peoples opinions is difficult if not impossible. Windows7 is now competing with something many don't like. Dislike for Vista sold a lot of copies of 7. I personally run machines with XP, Vista, and 7. They are all stable with good and bad quality's. When strange problems arise ,I don't blame the OS, I just do a clean install and move on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. locob

locob MDL Member

Jun 2, 2010
    That same "old single core laptop" will probably run Windows 7 with no problem!!

4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Nothing went wrong with Vista IMO (at least not much :biggrin:). I was running Vista for over 4 years and I have to say I d disagree to anyone said that Vista is cr@p. I mean, its not as good as 7, but then each one of us is a different case (i.e. using different hardware, different apps etc).

Back from the DOS/WIN 3.1 era, or better yet when WIN95 was released, my general rule of thumb with the OSes was to wait until it 'matured' - and then make the transition. I am not the BETA Tester kind of user :eek: and always want to have a stable environment to work on. And moving into a newly released OS is guaranteed to cause me troubles which could have been avoided if I just waited a little longer. Even at an SP0 RTM release there are many things to be fixed yet.

More recently, when SP1 for 7 was released, I made the transition to 7 and have to say I m really happy about it, as I can see at this stage, 7 is a step forward. That is a slow progress I agree, but a stable one. I d love to have a spare PC and have the latest RC of 8 installed, just to keep up with things :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kosherboy

kosherboy MDL Novice

May 5, 2011
    I have been using an Emachine W3503 Desktop, which I purchased back in 2007, considered the Media Center Edition, and two yars ago, I install Windows Vista Premium, which continues to preform like a well oiled clock. I have kept up-to-date with the updates, and I just feel Windows Vista Premium is a wonderful operating system. For me it was a terrific improvement over Windows XP. I did try Windows 7and experienced problems with it, so I went back to using Windows Vista. Two of my sons refer to my computer as an old "clunker", but I do just about everything they do on their newer machines and using Windows 7. Perhaps an "old guy" just gets along better with an older operating system :), but I really like my WIndows Vista, and keep it up to date. A nice day to all of you.

6. spond21

spond21 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    Yes, I totally agree!

7. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Me too.....:v::thumbsup:

8. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    #29 Weedy, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
    This is a post I made on the Overclock.net forums. I still stand by my views and opinions in that post, and having to fix customers vista machines at work, my opinions are still the same.

And for those of you that are bound to say I was using crappy hardware, my pc at the time was specced as such...

ABIT AB9 Pro Mobo
    E6600 Dual core @ 3.2Ghz
    3Gb DDR2 800 Corsair Ram
    ATI 4870x2 2Gb
    250Gb SATA II HDD, WD Caviar Blue
    550w OCZ PSU
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy

All these components are still in use by either myself or my GF. They have been 100% faultless on both XP and 7. Therefore, Vista is totally to blame. I have no sympathy for it whatsoever.

9. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Do you agree that 7 SP1 > Vista SP... any? :D

Seriously guys, I think 7 is an improvement over Vista. Haven't been on 7 SP0 at all, but my impressions on SP1 are very positive I have to say. At least in the areas of performance / stability, 7 offers a noticeable improvement over Vista, won't you agree?

Having said that, there might be few of us that had only negative experiences regarding a particular OS. That might be for many reasons i.e. poor driver support for specific hardware and/or undocumented incompatibilities...

10. communicator

communicator MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2011
    i might be the only one who feels so but i personally like vista...the only thing vista lacks is an update to windows media player 12!!!
    i have to rely on vlc to play mp4 & avi files!!!:(

11. Deb_Rider

Deb_Rider MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2010
    No...:p We agree that Vista sp2 > win 7....:doh::)

Hey, Don't k-lite codec pack helps win media player 11 to play them????????????

12. communicator

communicator MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2011
    it sure does...but i prefer a whole player with built in codecs that does it all rather than installing a codec pack to boost a player's performance!!! :D

13. kosherboy

kosherboy MDL Novice

May 5, 2011
    Actually, I don't find anything wrong with Windows Vista Home Premium. It has been performing very well for me for quite some time. Of course, there were necessary fixes which I received from MS, which to include SP2, but still, I use my same Windows Vista most every day. Of course there were improvements like Windows 7, and although I'm retired and don't have the necessary funds to upgrade to Windows 7or 8, it actually does not bother me. Of course, at 81 years of age, I don't let much of anything to bother me, except for the idiot presently in the White House.

14. IronMaiden

IronMaiden MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    whoah kosherboy! /me pulls you back on topic :D

I did like Vista while I had it. I got my laptop at the beginning of 2009 and it came with Vista Home Premium (32bit) preinstalled. Since I had XP Pro SP3 on my desktop for years (and that's where all my important data is), this was the perfect opportunity to get used to all the changes and new things about Vista (many of which live on in 7). It had minor issues here and there but once SP2 came out, it was pretty rock-solid.
    When 7 went RTM I made the jump and totally wiped my laptop HD and installed 7. The chance to get to know Vista made it easy for me to set up 7 exactly to my liking, something I wouild've found harder had I come to it straight from XP. So Vista was a good experience for me (it lasted a little more than a year). :)

(And yeah, I wiped XP off my desktop and went 7 with it too) :)

Basically, I think 7 wouldn't be as awesome as it is if it hadn't been for Vista. Vista shouldered all the growing pains that 7 benefits from now. And for that, you gotta respect it (and MS).

15. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    #36 jayblok, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017