What will you do if.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gruntled, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Gruntled

Gruntled MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010
    #21 Gruntled, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
    (OP)
    Exactly, 100% true. Someone can use the rearm trick if they choose but even that isn't necessary. It is too late for them to secure windows 7 and that is the point I have been trying to make, windows 7 end of life (support) for pro and enterprise is 10 years down the road. Windows 7 is so good that they are going to have a hard time selling windows 8 to people who feel no need to upgrade, they will have to include massive functionality improvements and new functions to even tempt people to move to 8. Windows XP is still king of the hill in pure numbers and 7 will have similar if not better staying power.

If they locked down validation on windows 7 tomorrow (which they won't) what would you lose? They have already said that they will provide critical updates. noob insinuated that I was spreading fear, I argue that I am stressing the exact opposite.

Turn off automatic updates and you have won, ain't it great?

2. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    dude.. you are contradicting yourself.. you seem to make the exact opposite point on your first post ?

3. Gruntled

Gruntled MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010

That is for windows 8, that is years off. And if they are allready moding EFI, then maybe I was wrong about that.

4. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    your whole post has been filled with contradictions.. you start off talking about Windows 7 .. then jump to Windows 8 .. then you say the only method left will be loaders..

then you were so happy WinFLP helped you .. you totally fell in love with him and blindly agreed..

make up your mind..

which is it.. ?

5. Gruntled

Gruntled MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010
    Noob, you are not getting the point.

I expressed an opinion that the future will be loaders, not mods. People don't agree, and if I am wrong that is fine. It is just an opinion based on the fact that if they try hard enough they can have hardware hash's and profiles to match the major OEM's. That is how I would do it if it was me.

I also asked a hypothetical question about what people would do if MS ever did manage to completely enforce activation. I would probably go to linux, the only reason I have not gone to linux is because of DirectX games. When MS managed to kill off opengl as a major commercial 3D API they forced avid PC gamers to stick with windows.

It was just a hypothetical question so relax.

6. Gruntled

Gruntled MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2010
    I am not arguing one position, you are.

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    To all posting in this thread. Everyone is entitled to opinion and is free to discuss. Keep it friendly, no insulting others or the thread will be closed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    that is my exact point..
    my first reply to your post is exactly that ..
    but you got all defensive ..

+1
    got it .. that's what i try to do .. i debate the point not the person..
    unless someone is holding a grudge and attacks me first.. then i kindly oblige :) (WinFLP)

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #29 timesurfer, Mar 28, 2010
    Come on guys we are all helpful, most of us, at whatever level we are at. Lets not flame each other. To address the question I thought the OP was trying to ask, I say pkaji123 was right. MS gives 4 rearms for the RTM so for those of us without keys and assuming all methods of activation have been whacked then every 4 months re-install in like under an hour. Thats the answer to this question, I think:cool:

Otherwise I don't like posts that instill fear, worry, hesitation or judgement of what we do best here. Play with software and our computers...lol

And I don't think turning off updates stops the rearm clock. And updates are important

10. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    +1
    i absolutely agree with you ..

i used to frequent TPB and many Anti-Piracy groups would sign up and pretend to be legit members and post Propaganda as to instill fear with hypothetical scenarios..

im not saying the Poster is an Agent..

i was just implying it's similar to the tactics used by Anti-Piracy groups..

this is correct .. we can always resort to this method if all else fails.. but judging from what has happened in the past..
    some unknown cracker will come out with another working method..
    it been a cat and mouse game since XP .. so i see no reason why things would change..

if it was to change.. it would have happened already.. M$ has been trying to put an end to all activation exploits ..

i, personally, do not see M$ being successful at this ..

either way.. i enjoy the ride.. it's part of the "hobby" .. the excitement of successfully cracking Windows is the rush i seek ..

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    You are right that stopping the updates does not stop the rearm but I have a technique that will work that I have personally tested in the RC edition. Ok
    1. Install win7 without a product key
    2. Once installed either activate with whatever method that you like or just install all the updates except WAT! in the grace period.
    3. Once the updates are done go to start and type "services" in the search bar and hit enter or click to open it.
    4. Scroll down and look for the service called "Software Protection", stop and disable that service.
    5. You will notice that there will not be either the trial countdown or the genuine sticker under the computer properties but that is ok and normal.

That is what I would do provided I did not have a legal copy and all activation exploits got destroyed. Just remember that following my steps will work on all editions of windows 7 including enterprise but once the software protection service(SPP) is stopped you cannot use WU anymore so AKA no updates but it will not count down if you are using the grace period thereby you have win7 forever without updates. Oh yea, btw no cracks or modifying system files are required in this method!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    #32 iamanoob, Mar 28, 2010
    dude.. i tried this when Windows 7 was first released ..
    i was using Orbit30 1.5 Loader .. and WATu was not released at that time..

and i remember when i stopped "Software Protection" .. the Desktop would turn black and a "Windows is not Genuine" Watermark would appear in the bottom right hand corner ?

do you think it's because of Orbit30's loader ? because this method did not work for me .. but did the opposite?

infact.. i tell people to NOT stop this service.. because people were complaining of the Black Desktop .. and keep "Software Protection" running solved the Black Desktop?

are you sure you can activate with any method? i don't think this works if you use a Loader .. because i believe parts of the Loader require that service to run.. otherwise.. the Black Desktop appears ..

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Probably yes because of the loader because that one as long as it was not part Hazars. along with all the orbit30 loaders for the pre-release did not do anything but cause problems. It was probably the loader anyway even though Hazar's worked well. The reason the screen would go black and the watermarks would appear is because windows thinks you have a pirated copy. Disabling SPP is just to stop windows from attempting to check for activators in the first place. That is why it would work as long as you really do not use any cracks except a bios mod activation or Daz's loader. Personally if I would do those steps I would not install any activators or activate in any way. Just use the grace period then shutdown SPP. :)

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I went to check out the services you said and mine was already stopped. Hmm? Anyway, this discussion reminded me of my favorite idea for dealing with activation so far. PAYMYRENTS rearm tool with the idea to be able to get back to full 4 rearms and to set up task to single rearm at first of month all with a GUI.

I think iamnoob, WinFLP and others should use their energy to perfect that program with the help of PAYMYRENT. I'm no coder but as a user I still have a position to share and I'm certain all good programmers accept a little advice from users in the development process :)

15. iamanoob

Feb 28, 2010
    #35 iamanoob, Mar 28, 2010
    ok.. now that makes sense.. it was probably due to Orbit30's Loader ..

my current setup is using a Cert. & Key..
    im going to test this method.. i just disabled the service.. it wasn't running at the time..

im in the same boat.. i possess no special skill or knowledge except reading:)
    Programmers need testers.. as much as we need them ..

16. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    @iamanoob and Timesurfer: The service is not always running but when you activate or crack windows with an activator it runs the service, same thing goes for when you run WU because it is supposed to check to make sure you are legit even though it really did not help that much when it comes to legality lol. Just disable it so it cannot check at all. BTW this method also works if you still want to use the RC but do not want the bi-hourly shutdowns or it not working come June 1st. I have personally did a lot with the RC so I know lol

17. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #37 timesurfer, Mar 28, 2010
    Yep, as a uploader I know very well that without seeds and peers torrents don't work to well...lol

The same must be true with developers and users...lol

To inform, I have my UAC turned off for no reasons I can remember...lol

I am running daz loader and that software protection service is stopped. Without me doing it. Does daz loader turn that service off. Hmm?

18. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    No because if it did you would not get thegenuine sticker and you cannot validate. either without that service running. Daz's loader along with every other activator that gives you get the genuine status keeps that service intact

19. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Thanks...lol

20. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    your welcome. I actually tried this to get the RC to last longer then the expiration date and it actually worked. I advanced the clock to 2011, restarted and the RC still worked.