What willl Advanced Tokens Manager contribute when changing motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gadgety, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Gadgety

Gadgety MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2014
    I have a W7 Professional OEM version I bought and installed on a motherboard. Will the ATM help if I change motherboard, or will I have to call Microsoft to have them release installation on a new MB?

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    If you change the mobo you can't restore activation with ATM 'cause the hardware will be different. if i remember OEM versions can be activated once only. Best is to reinstall W7 and try activation by phone or call M$ I think. :)

3. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #3 zahnoo, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    I don't remember the exact wording, but I think you need to read the OEM EULA. Essentially, OEM versions are sold with the understanding it will be installed on one computer only ... forever and always. And it helps to understand what Microsoft considers as a computer. Just going from memory, I think MS considers a new mother board a new computer and hence ineligible for the reuse of an OEM license. However, there are other considerations.

Licensing for OEM installed versions that come on say a laptop are pretty strict. I don't think Microsoft has any "release" program to allow that OEM product to be installed on any other machine.

If you bought a "free standing" uninstalled OEM version off the shelf as it were and installed it on your home build, how would Microsoft know you replaced a failed mother board and reinstalled the OS? In all likelihood you'd have to reactivate, but my experience is Windows 7 allows for multiple activations before you have to call Microsoft and beg. At least the one Windows 7 OEM product I bought way back when did.

For me, all the OEM license business is just way too confusing. There are better solutions.

If you do end up calling Microsoft, let us know how that turns out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...