What's the easiest way to completely disable Windows Update?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rr0, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Rr0

Rr0 MDL Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Hey!
    So I have this old laptop with Intel graphics, driver from Windows Update breaks the system completely (black screen).
    Is there a way to completely disable Windows Update? Or even prevent installation of those trashy apps.
    I tried O&O ShutUp10 but it doesn't seem to work. I mean it works on my other PC which already has been updated and worked for some time, but it does not work on fresh installation of W10, that not even once scanned for updates etc. offline.

The only thing I need is to get is activation from digital entitlement (I don't want to use KMS on my office laptop).

Many thanks in advance!

2. armond

armond MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2008
    Windows key+R, services.msc, Windows Update set to disable. (extreme reaction)
    I think you could also try these tweaks to just disable updating your drivers via Windows Update instead of completely disabling it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

3. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm I think that you probably are using Windows 7 for reach after Windows 10 if I'm correct and your build is PRO or Ultimate is very simple open gpedit.msc in there search for Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Updates and in the right side search for Not include drivers with Windows updates and configure to Enabled close application and restart ok

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...