What's your expectations from next version of Windows (a.k.a. Windows 9 (and 9 RT))

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Mustafa Can, Oct 30, 2013.

1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    What we want:
    Windows 7.2

What we'll get:
    Windows 8.3

2. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Undoubtedly, 7 was a fantastic OS. IMHO, 8.x is no less of a good system, it probably just received the flak for being ahead of its time. Tablets are the future, and M$ tried to set a base too early, messing things up. People like to see gradual changes. My tech-savvy grandpa still loves XP and loathes 7. He refuses to so much as use a system running 8 (he dual-boots the family computer with XP and 8 :D ) but the fact still remains: we can expect M$ to make fewer mistakes this time, or for their fortunes to drop significantly.

You mean 8.2?

And don't forget all the whinos that will accompany any major release. Like the G-man with a bell in there somewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    When? When? When? When?

It would be wonderful :biggrin:

4. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    True.dat :p Yeah, good h/w + proper drivers + regular system maintenance = rock-solid OS
    Problem with most users is their unwillingness to accept most kinds of change. I give Windows credit for being able to run on a variety of hardware. Anyone trying to build a hackintosh will know what I'm talking about. (Yes, Linux fanboy, I see you about to shoot off a very inflammatory response to that, but we're not talking about Linux, which, BTW, is my next-favourite OS and indeed awesome.)

Granted, no OS is perfect. Large programs that combine various smaller programs are tough to design, develop, deploy and maintain. And yet M$ come up with OSes that see (at worst, moderate) success. Yes, the user has to put in some effort to keep the system smooth. I've never yet seen a BSOD in 8.x (except on the internet). Any problems I found were addressed by simple searches or by experimenting (and undoing with the refresh option :D)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    #25 Paiva, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    @pun,

Changes are good pun. :hug2:

But significant changes to desktops.

If you change only for tablets or cel phone is bad.

I wish M $ eyes on desktops.

6. Mustafa Can

Mustafa Can MDL Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Upping this, want to hear everybody's expectations. :rolleyes:

7. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    #27 OldMX, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    I stopped reading there, seriously, if you think Win8.1 is unstable, then you need to learn to install correctly windows and drivers, properly build a computer and use decent parts.

8. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I expect more money in M$ pocket.:linuxlove:

9. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #30 PaulDesmond, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    "bugs" mentioned above are all minor issues which most of the ppl never detected and of course were fixed by updates. Consider a long way from windoze 1 up to 9 or 10 or whatever always will be an evaluation/evolution process that never has an end and so far, developers at Redmond are doing quite a good job, don't they? Them always complaining about the worst os ever called windoze, i only can give the advise to go there and simply make it better :D

10. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Well, I have no idea why people are actually crying themselves hoarse. Don't get me wrong- I know and fully expect a new OS to be buggy for some people, but I am mighty pleased with 8.1. It may be an eyesore for some after 7, it may be a irritating thing for some with its Modern UI, hell, someone might just not like it for the simple reason that it isn't 7.

But the majority of "bugs" are just small issues that the average user will never notice until shown. True in my case, anyway. I had all drivers properly installed, I also kept automatic updates on. I conduct periodic system maintenance and ensure that there is nothing I don't want. I keep my system clean and healthy, and I see no reason for complaint.

In conclusion, 8.1 is not as buggy as everyone claims. Most of the time it could be a corrupted install/driver issues/some hardware issues. And most bugs you see were probably pointed out to you by someone else. Approach this OS with no expectations and an open mind; you will be surprised by how good it is.

11. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I just expect a FREE one...

Not paid for any so far. not gunna start..

I don't pay for it so I won't moan about it. just use it. Getting used to 8.1. I keep trying it and will use it as my main OS, soon...

Maybe I shouldn't expect a free one. I mean I have bought 4 laptops in the past few years. Hu. So it's just my desktop which comes free.

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    a polished turd is still a turd, just more shiny. I've given up on expecting anything from an MS OS, I rather be surprised by a few things here and there that they toss in from time to time. Keeps things interesting.

13. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    [h=2]What are your expectations for the next version of Windows?[/h]None at all, MS has to go the way Steve Jobs used to follow:

"People do not know what they want, until you give it to them"

Surprise us MS, but it is important to distinguish tablets, phones and touch from Desktops!

14. mcs2k

mcs2k MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2012
    i hope we see more WINDOWS less fullscreen/tiled applications in next windows release (or stop calling that system windows already).

15. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I expect all the bigshots at MS to sell all their stock, take a big short position and then release another disaster like Windows 8.1.

16. Acker

Acker MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    Dude, seriously. You can't have such a perfect OS. There'll be always bugs. Saying that Windows 8.1 is "unfinished" is because maybe you don't have the slightest idea of what building software really involves.

17. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm into Desktop mode. Making it better is all for me :D

18. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010