WHDownloader - Support and chat

Discussion in 'WHDownloader' started by Alphawaves, Apr 29, 2013.

1. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    His program works fine as it is. In the years that he's made it available, you're the second person to ask for selective list download and the first person to ask that only certain categories are shown.

There haven't been dozens of requests for those features, hence my comment that they'd be low priority. Your requests are valid and would add to the usability of the program though.

It's Alphawaves' program so he's the one to determine whether he'll do it or not. I just help answer questions here to ease the load for Alphawaves and abbodi1406.

2. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Great idea my friend, just enjoying some nice British sunshine atm.. :eek::cool:
    I had planned on a complete new GUI change with additional features but will add your request to the current GUI.
    Will post it asap. :)

3. freMea

freMea MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    #2603 freMea, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Aaaaawesome !

If it's simpler, just add these options in config.ini file meanwhile the new GUI.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    This is an oxymoron, isn't it? LOL.:D

5. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011

Yay i've been waiting for this one!!

Also is there a way to stop the whdownloader taking focus when extracting msp files and just do it in background? That part is quite annoying
    Also the right click for options part, some of it would be better under a new tab

6. molecule

molecule MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2012
  7. donbdl

donbdl MDL Novice

May 20, 2015
    donbdl Why do I get download errors with WHDownloader 0.0.2.3?
    Where is the log of the list I downloaded?
    Thanks or helping.
    -Don

8. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    donbdl: What errors are you getting? You can try increasing the time before a timeout occurs by increasing the "URLtimeout=" value in the config.ini or by right-clicking at the bottom of the WHDownloader app. Default is 15 seconds (15000).

Have you done anything to block Microsoft domains (i.e. microsoft.com)? There'll be a log file created for files that couldn't be downloaded. Look for "URLreport.txt" in the same folder as WHDownloader.exe. The download URLs will be listed there. See what happens if you manually attempt to download the files using those URLs.

9. Windows 10 User

Windows 10 User MDL Expert

Feb 2, 2017
    The WHDownloader's updates' date doesn't match the updates' date from Microsoft Update Catalog.

10. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    abbodi1406 uses the Build Date found inside the updates, not the dates shown in MUC.

11. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    I have found that the build dates and release dates can vary quite a bit sometimes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    If Alphawaves does or doesnt update the tool is entirely down to him. It was on v2.2 for quite a long time, few years i think. I still use old programs from xp days when vista wasnt even in the pipeline and they still work on w10 1607. If somethings works it dont need fiddling with. If WHD had a serious enough bug then we would hope he could fix it as soon as he could, its a free tool and probably done in his spare time. You aint paying for it so you cant demand anything.

I dont use it that often and sometimes i get an error downloading updates but i check the log, find the link and manually download the required file, not a big problem and easy to fix. Most likely ms have moved the file, whaatever it is, it does the job. :)

13. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Yeah, it's interesting to compare the dates. If it's a really important fix, sometimes the build date is only a couple days before release. But usually it's a lot longer period so MS can test things.

14. lewcass

Mar 10, 2018
    Then knock em out broke anyway :biggrin3:

15. Windows 10 User

Windows 10 User MDL Expert

Feb 2, 2017
    #2615 Windows 10 User, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Ok, thanks, although I don't know why MUC doesn't use them (or they're not the same as the MUC ones).

EDIT: By the way, how can I see the Build Date inside the updates?

16. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011

Is the update still coming?

17. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
  18. Konde

Konde MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Is there a way to download the update lists from other places? My work firewall prevent them from being downloaded but I dont have issues getting updates individually from microsoft.

19. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Sorry, you can't change the location from where the lists are downloaded from.

But you could use another computer that did have access (e.g., your home computer) to download the lists and then copy them to the UpdateLists folder on your work computer.