When the free upgrade period is over, will the push to 10 weaken?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by zero2dash, Dec 3, 2015.

1. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    #1 zero2dash, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Something that just popped up in my head.

They're pushing 7 & 8 users to upgrade to 10, obviously somewhat ham-fisted.
    The constant back and forth with users trying to keep their old(er) OS, trying to monitor updates, trying to keep from installing anything related to upgrading to 10 or putting telemetry in 7/8.

I'm wondering if that strong push is merely for the first year window and the free upgrade period.
    After this is over, which would assumedly be late July, 2016 - do you think they'll quit with the nonsense?
    I would say they can't push people to upgrade so ham-fisted at that point because it'll cost people money, it's no longer free, so maybe they'll [MS] back off and things will go back to normal - at least with the upgrade-related updates. (One can hope at least.)

Of course this could be a moot point if near the end of the free period (or sometime before), MS says "We've had such a strong turnout and don't think that everyone has been able to take advantage and experience our latest & greatest OS, so the free upgrade period is being extended [or axed completely] and people can upgrade now for a longer period of time [or indefinitely]."

Just something to think about. :g:

[edit]
    In hindsight, now I'm wondering if they'll lighten up on that, and instead turn that update pandering over into nag notifications about the OS soon being unsupported (like they did with XP). :rolleyes:

2. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I myself think that they will extend it. Sure people are going to give it a try just like I did. But I think that there are a lot of people that don't like it and will or have reverted back to Win7 or 8. I also think that ones that like Win10 now will take a second look as more updates come out that take more control over what they want to do. Like forced install of drivers, Uninstalling programs that M$ deems as a threat to their system. I feel there will be more control issues down the road as M$ wants to sell more apps. Buy our apps or we will uninstall anything that comes close to what we have.

That is just my guess and we will never really know until July 2016??

3. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Yeah I think it's going to get worse for sure if they continue with the 'forced updates with no choice' mantra; that's not going to fly long-term. I get the rub; I get that they want people to have their systems updated so there are not bot systems in the wild (like in XP's days). However, that will not fly. You cannot take that control away from people who want it. They should have left it like every OS before it and let people choose whether they want Automatic Updates or the choice to Allow or Deny. With things like DEP now, OS's post-XP are a lot stronger than they used to be, even if they're not up to date. A lot of the XP bots were (reportedly) base or SP1 and there's a reason why - DEP wasn't added to XP until SP2.