When will the leaked key get blocked!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ambidav, Aug 3, 2009.

1. mason092

mason092 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    They would have to release an update to stop it from working. I have Windows Update set to check for updates, but ask me before downloading or installing anything. I also added that address to my host file. If you only install updates after others have gone before you, it won't be blocked.

2. SongRemainsTheSame

SongRemainsTheSame MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    #22 SongRemainsTheSame, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    Mason... like Nick Mason, the Pink Floyd's drummer?
    Glad to meet you! ;)

3. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #23 HotCarl, Aug 3, 2009
    Wow... People are very naive if they think that MS is not paying any attention to the use of the so-called blacklisted key on Windows Update... Use at your own risk, although it is really noob-ish to recommend that people keep using the key to run Windows Update, even though no PCs have/will be manufactured with the OEM key built in (legally)... If I were a smart person, I would figure that MS knows about the key (due to their press release) and although they have not done anything to date, it is not out of their reach to log IPs (like the RIAA and MPAA does with music and movie infringement) and use those logs for future litigation, as they so deem it necessary...and it would be in their power and at their discretion to do. I am not trying to worry anyone, as if you turn off windows update there *should* not be a problem, but to be completely naive is just being ignorant of the facts and the legal issues at hand... If you are using windows 7 out of license (with the OEM key, certificate, and a lo*der/BIOS mod), it is illegal, and it is at MS' discretion whether to pursue any legal recourse. It is about being smart, and limiting your exposure...and continuing to use Windows Update with the so-called "blacklisted" OEM key, like nothing is wrong, will not limit your exposure...

4. tazman137

tazman137 MDL Junior Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Well if everyone was using Vista Loader 2.1.3 which worked even with SP2. Don't you think MS would've blacklisted that key? I'm just saying, if they were gonna blacklist it why would they wait??

5. whitehat2009

whitehat2009 MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    The thing is, they CAN'T easily blacklist a Vista key now since that key would be in use on who knows how many legit machines already. By blacklisting the Vista key they would be shafting many legit customers ALONG with the pirate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    They won't blacklist an OEM key which is pre-loaded with millions of OEM machines. What they could blacklist is the loader itself (like was the 'Royale' loader blacklisted).
    Same is with Windows 7 except the first SLP/OEM key (the Lenovo-one) was blacklisted because it leaked too early (and probably the master image with this key wasn't uploaded to many machines and it wasn't a big trouble for the OEM vendor to change the key to another one).
    Once the SLP/OEM key will be used in thousands of notebooks/computers and is leaked it won't be possible for Microsoft to blacklist the key itself (since all these machines will then be rendered as 'not genuine').

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #27 HotCarl, Aug 3, 2009
    It is because Vista was already available on thousands of laptops and PC's across the world when those OEM keys were leaked...with thousands of legit copies of windows Vista installed with those OEM keys, disabling the key at that point would be more of a problem than it was worth...
    With the Win7 OEM SLP key, there were no systems out yet, so they can blacklist it no problem, then log IPs of peeps who use Windows Update with it... See the difference? In the Vista instance, 1000's of legit PCs existed with that key already. With Windows 7, there was never a chance for any PCs to be released legit with the key because the key got leaked too soon, essentially... Get it now? See how easy it would be for MS to simply log all IPs of peeps using Windows Update with this particular key? ...since all of them would be illegal copys...as no legit PCs with Win7 pre-installed exist yet (with this particular OEM key) since Win7 was just released to manufacturing (RTM'ed) recently...

EDIT: +1 prezi, beat me to it...

8. tazman137

tazman137 MDL Junior Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Well then I wonder if the current key is already on OEM machines and all the talk is just BS. Why would you let people keep activating and updating with a key that they are *going* to blacklist. Why not just do it already?

I'm beginning to think they were just lying. Maybe it was already too late.

9. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #29 HotCarl, Aug 3, 2009
    "...maybe it was already too late..." <--- ROFL!! Sorry here buddy, but that is too much wishful thinking...

There is a process OEMs go through when they get a copy of the RTM, and I assure you that it is very unlikely if they have made any PCs for the retail market yet... Basically, in the short time frame, that would be virtually impossible...and probably against MS's license agreements with them which probably specify a mandatory release date close to the retail date of Oct. 22nd. When a Royalty OEM (e.g. Sony, HP, DELL, etc...) gets a copy of the RTM from MS, they go through a process of developing drivers for their hardware, and testing (e.g. drivers for quick launch buttons on laptops, etc.). Once they get things how they want it, they use a MS program (like MS' OEM Pre-installation Kit (OPK)) to "slipstream" their files into the generic RTM Win7 install image... It is a process that OEMs do to customize their Windows 7 install discs for their PCs, that is why they need to get the OS early, and that is also why it is very very unlikely that Lenovo (the Royalty OEM that the leaked master key belonged to) had the time to do this...in like a week...yeah right...

EDIT: Sorry buddy, but the key was just leaked too early. Sometimes quicker and faster is not better, and in this case, it certainly was not the case. Thus the benefit to MS is that they can simply log all connections to Windows Update from users who validate themselves with this key/OEM ID and know that every single one of those logged IPs is an illegal version... It is way too obvious this early on in the game...

10. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #30 Myrrh, Aug 3, 2009
    Because they CAN'T blacklist, not if it means what you are taking it to mean. OEM:SLP activation is an offline process. The only way to block a previously working key from activating would be for the DVD you installed from to be magically updated after you burned it from the original ISO.

Sure, they can mark it as non-genuine later when you use windows update or visit the WGA site. They can block it from activation later with an update, but there's no way to blacklist it from activation on a system installed from an original ISO and not yet updated.

The tracking of IP's mentioned a few posts above is intriguing though.

11. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Nope, I don't think so. The key was leaked a few days after the code has been signed off.
    Let's count - it was signed off like on the 18th (don't remember the exact date, but it's an estimation).
    Then MS prepared the image and shipped it to big OEMs - let's count that as two days.
    So the big OEMs received their keys + images on 20th.
    They needed to prepare the images for their hardware - let's say it took them 2 days for branding, drivers, tweaks, software preloads etc.

On around 24th (or 25th - again - don't remember the exact date) the OEM key was leaked.

How many machines were then uploaded with the image ?
    Maybe a few hundreds up to a thousand.

How many machines have been shipped ?
    IMHO = zero

And that's why MS convinced the OEM vendor to re-upload the images one more time (the image was ready, the only change they would need to do is to change the key which is no biggie).
    The only problem I see is that the key would activate virtually any Ultimate edition with any certificate - meaning it's not for a specific 'Brand' which could mean that more vendors used the master-key for their images...

Anyway - I'm convinced the 'Lenovo' key will be blacklisted sooner or later though ;)

12. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Correct, but tell me - what is the point of using an OS without the ability to update with latest security fixes and patches ?
    IMHO - It's vital for a 'fresh/new' OS to mature :)

13. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #33 HotCarl, Aug 3, 2009
    Exactly... How many ways do we have to explain it to these people who just do not want to believe it???

Just turn Windows Update off and wait until Win7 comes out retail and legit PCs have it installed...hopefully a new OEM SLP key will be leaked...then swap it with yours (via the slmgr command) and reboot... In all honesty, there will probably not be any updates for Windows 7 (besides drivers and older MS programs) on Windows Update for a bit anyway (because Win7 is still technically not available to the general public yet, so there is no need to post updates on windows update yet), so waiting until retail for a new OEM SLP key to hopefully be made available so you can update *should* be no big deal...

14. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    #34 bertmace, Aug 3, 2009
    No not to sp1 change token.dat and pkeyconfig.xrm-ms on the dvd if ms try it now they will have to recall all the disc out and redo them all over again and will make the release late past oct 22nd sp1 is how it will die

15. mengchanchai

mengchanchai MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Now I used the said key for activation.
    But I plan to buy "Win 7 Home Premium" within end of this year.
    I think that thre are a lot of people work very hard to get a nice "Win 7" and should fair to buy it!:p

16. dgwin7

dgwin7 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Then don't use WAU but go to Autopatcher to get updates that is all to it.;)

dg

17. bertmace

bertmace MDL Member

Jul 14, 2009
    no autopatcher for x64 go to site and see