Where can i buy Winxp Vol CD?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Beowulf, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Hello folks, although Winxp is a dieing breed of OS.
    I am on a collecting spree, where do u think i could get my hands on a WinXP CD (Vol Edition).
    Please do not suggest me iso files that can be downloaded from the net.
    No, i want to purchase a hard copy of XP that has a cover.

Any help would be greatful.

PS: Not from ebay.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #2 rayleigh_otter, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    See if there are any computer fairs in your area, clubs etc.
    Dont rule ebay out because what you want is going to be pretty hard to find and there are genuine decent sellers there. Vol edition? do you mean Volume License? are you just after a VL key? ;)

3. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Understanding the Different Windows XP Licenses

I talked about the essential skills needed for basic residential computer repair work and one of the skills I mentioned was understanding Windows Licensing.

I will tell you the differences between each Windows XP license in greater detail.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
    OEM licenses for Windows XP are generally cheaper to buy than the retail version but OEM’s must be sold in conjunction with internal computer hardware. Typically, you will see OEM copies of Windows XP sold with new computers.
    OEM copies usually come in a flat, shrink wrapped paper CD holder with a cardboard backing and will say something like “Only for distribution with a new PC” on it. Additionally, OEM versions are intended to be supported by the system manufacturer rather than Microsoft.

Do not sell OEM copies of XP without internal hardware like a motherboard or hard drive. Microsoft do pursue this and often bait computer businesses so they can fine them.

A OEM copy of Windows XP will only accept OEM Windows license keys.

Branded
    If the disk is branded with a brand name like HP, Compaq or Dell it is most likely a OEM copy. The Windows XP case will say something like “For use on new (brand name) computers only” and the license sticker will usually have the brand name of the manufacturer on it. Other than the visual differences on the CD, license sticker and the “System Properties” area of the computer; They are identical to OEM copies.

Retail
    There are two licences for Retail versions of Windows XP. One is “Upgrade” and the other is “Full Purchase Product (FPP)”.
    Retail versions of Windows XP are often sold at big box computer stores where anyone can buy one off the shelf. The Full Purchase Product usually cost more than OEM versions and you usually don’t get a sticker to put on the computer case. Instead, they provide a sticker remains on the Windows XP CD case. Microsoft only provides 90 days of support for the retail version.

To use the “Upgrade” version, you must have a working version of Windows to upgrade from. For XP Home it can only be Windows 98, 98 Second Edition or Millennium Edition. For XP Professional it can only be Windows 98, 98 SE, ME, NT or 2000 Professional.

A Windows XP OEM CD key will not work with a Retail CD and vice versa.

Volume License
    Volume License versions of Windows XP are provided to businesses under a purchase agreement with Microsoft. Volume Licenses use “Volume License Keys (VLK)” and provide the ability to use a single key for multiple systems and it does not require activation for each computer.

Of course, this lead to mass piracy and most pirate versions you will find are most likely be a Volume License version. However, when installing Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2, it checks your license against a known database of pirate Volume License keys and will not install the service pack if it detects the key to be pirate.

There are three Volume License flavors: Open License, Select License and Enterprise Agreement. You can be an Open License customer with as few as 5 licenses. Select and Enterprise require at least 250 desktops each.

There are versions of Windows XP that are known as a “Corporate Licenses”. These still fall under the same rules as a Volume License.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    U see i am from a small place, there is no kind of convention or pc fairs in my place.Anyways thank u for ur time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Beowulf

Beowulf MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Thank you Quo Vadis for ur detailed explanation, i never had thought that way for OEM XP Brand. Pretty nasty and cheap way from Microsoft to make
    money out of people. No wonder Bill Gates is the richest man on earth. U see i m on a dual boot and any changes to the hardware made on Winxp would
    show some errors when accessed it from a secondary boot OS, even the action of opening say C:\[Assume it to be XP] from D:[Is Win7] would trigger
    Winxp to show an error message and rendering it unbootable during boot time. Despite all the things has been tweaked or installed nicely.
    I couldn't understand that, so i assume it to be an OEM copy. hmmm....
    Anyways i was looking for a Volume CD or Volume licensing CD, anything u might call.
    I have Win7 Anytime Upgrade CD, i find it funny what Microsoft call it, Home Edition, Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise.
    All bulls**t things, although there are differences maybe i don't pay much attention to those things.
    Since i am getting old for these things.
    I just looking forward to get a hard cover version of Winxp; vol edition.

6. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2019
    no_short_urls_allowed/d8ap

;)

7. scolli23

scolli23 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2016
    check in here; google this; digibeyk

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    There is a legit volume key posted on this forum straight from ms and also you could at one time download ms virtual machine and the xpimage had vl key in it once you unpacked the image.

9. mazzylp

mazzylp MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2019
    if you want an original xp copy in box try to search on junk sales fairs or old computers shop
    of course is very difficult see a box in good condition even more if te box is sealed
    but depends where you live ( country city etc.)