Where can I PURCHASE Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SlyDogJeff77, May 20, 2014.

1. SlyDogJeff77

SlyDogJeff77 MDL Novice

May 20, 2014
    Forget the hacking and slashing! I have a lagit copy of Windows 8.1 Pro.
    I don't want to pay the $99 for the PRO PACK!?!
    I just want the Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack! The one that costs $9.99!!!

But I can't find it on the stupid Microsoft Store?!
    how come I can't find this stupid thing!?
    i'll pay the ten bucks! :mad:

2. SlyDogJeff77

SlyDogJeff77 MDL Novice

May 20, 2014
    That link is not there for me. I just searched for "Get more features with a new edition of windows" missing and found that if you use a volume license key for Windows 8.1 Pro, that link will be MISSING?!?!?!?!!?
    I figured it would be for ENTERPRISE EDITION!?!? but not for PRO!?
    OF COURSE I'm using my corporate KMS key. I doubt it would matter if I was using the MAK key right?!
    Advice anyone?

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Could it be you installed the single-index Pro_VL version :g:?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    LOL, WMC only for retail key activated editions, not KMS nor MAK. :D

5. SlyDogJeff77

SlyDogJeff77 MDL Novice

May 20, 2014
    I tried the KSM keys and windows said NO ..
    the MAK keys work fine..
    but they still do not enable the link to get more features.
    HELP... I just want media center again. This is my main TV in the house and my wife is going to kill me.
    If I have to shell out another 100 bucks she's going to cut off vital parts.

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    as stated, you cannot get WMC with a VOLUME (VL) install. using a MAK or KMS key will change the install to a VL install.

7. SlyDogJeff77

SlyDogJeff77 MDL Novice

May 20, 2014
    can someone confirm that you can at least purchase the Pro Pack and install ontop of the Volume License versions (MAK)?

SERIOUSLY?!?! I can't even post a hyperlink to a web site unless I've posted at least 20 times on this site!? mods and admins?!
    ok so now I need to ask people to go to the Microsoft store and search for the Windows 8.1 Pro Pack or just "pro pack".
    it's the first item on the list.. it's $99 bucks. I was able to talk them down 20% because of my frustration on the phone when I called. I told the guy I would call be as soon as I talked it over with my wife.

8. SlyDogJeff77

SlyDogJeff77 MDL Novice

May 20, 2014
    BTW.. I just want to say thank you to everyone who is replying.. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm sure you all know I'm just frustrated.
    So once again, thank you for your help and knowledge!
    :worthy:

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Afaik that pack is for N versions to add the missing media fetures and codecs. You could opt for installing a Retail Pro (from Win 8.1 with update multiple-edition ISO). Normally it would still need to activate with a Retail key first, than do the upgrade.

When Retail Install key is used on unactivated Pro you'll be able to upgrade but it will refuse your WMC key. The system needs to be pimped with proper generic tokens :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Two problems:
    1. The media/ISO used to install
    The component that allows to add features is missing completely if Windows is installed from the ProVL (1 index) media. That's independent from the key.

2. The key used to activate PRO.
    MS does allow only Retail and OEM activated media as foundation for adding WMC. VL will get an error message if you want to add features (it's locked).

As a VL customer, you are simply not eligible to get WMC...