Where is Live Essentials with Windows 7 SP1 Windows Updates?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vwgolfman, Feb 22, 2011.

1. vwgolfman

vwgolfman MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I have made a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 this evening from the Windows 7 SP1 ISO.
    There are a few Windows Updates available.
    However, Windows Live Essentials does not appear as an Update.

Windows Live Essentials DOES appear as a Windows Update if I make a fresh install of NON-SP1 Windows 7.

Does anybody know what the problem can be with Windows Updates?

2. andypsp

andypsp MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    you can allways d/l it from here explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials?os=other

3. vwgolfman

Nov 5, 2007
    Hi andypsp.

Yes thank you but....there are also other Windows Updates which appear for a fresh install of NON SP1 Windows 7 but do not appear for the SP1 equivalent.

...such as Browser Choice option (this may be for European countries only but I am in Europe).

4. andypsp

andypsp MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    #4 andypsp, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    hi vwgolfman
    i`ve had sp1 installed for over 4weeks now did a fresh install, only had 8 updates so far, i`m not sure what happend to the browser choice (may be they didn`t think it was important) as most users will install whatever browsers they want without waiting for microsoft giveing them a choice, i`m in europe too ;) (maybe they will add the update for the browser choice soon)

found this on the ms site

If you're using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7, and you have your regional settings set to one of the following countries or regions, you’ll get the Browser Choice update through the Windows Update service:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

5. vwgolfman

Nov 5, 2007
    Yes I've had about 8 updates too.
    A few recommended/critical updates and a few optional.
    All of the language packs are available (34 or so).

The Browser Choice update hasn't appeared and neither has Windows Live Essentials.
    I'm sure there are others too.

I have a feeling that Microsoft have not yet fully enabled Windows Updates for fresh Windows 7 SP1 installs (not sure if this is possible).

I wonder what would happen if I made a fresh install of NON SP1 and then immediately updated to SP1 using standalone SP1 installer before checking Windows Updates.
    ....I wonder if the missing updates would appear then?

I'm sure there is something which needs enabling/updating from Microsoft's end.
    Would you agree?

6. vwgolfman

Nov 5, 2007
    ...I will just add that I made the install last night.
    When I checked updates, the .NET 4 framework update was not showing.

Tonight when I checked updates the .NET 4 framework mysteriously appeared!

So something must have been enabled/modified at the other end for this particular update.

7. andypsp

andypsp MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2011
    i have windows update set for every tuesdays at 7pm (uk time) to check for updates as they only release updates on the 2nd and 4th tues of the month, give it a few weeks when the 8th march gets here see what updates you have then, may be there waitng for explorer 9 before they do the next browser choice.

don`t think the missing updates are too important as they would have shown up today otherwise

8. RickSteele

RickSteele MDL Addicted

Nov 12, 2009
    M$ has revamped the detection engine for .NET4 and related hotfixes to detect SP1 installed with or without the update.

9. vwgolfman

Nov 5, 2007
    Hi Rick,

Do you have any idea why at least 2 updates (Browser Choice and Live Essentials) don't appear in my Windows Updates after a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 when they do after a fresh install of Windows 7 (Non SP1)?

Very strange.

10. fioskid

fioskid MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2011
    Look what i did,I disabled windows updates so m$ can't put into my pc unnecessary updates.They should release an update pack like mac os x does with the updates inside every 2 months etc.