Where is the best Linux ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Polyester, Sep 10, 2014.

1. tugyo

tugyo MDL Junior Member

Oct 11, 2014
  2. Bhupideol

Bhupideol MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Kali Linux is the best........and Ubuntu for the beginner.

3. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #23 Michel, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    All linux distro's are crap!, they cant handle with nvidia card and always freeze your screen! (x-server).

Ubuntu and Mint can handle native linux games (the ones from steam and gog.com)
    Elemantary OS cant handle any game (and it's ubuntu based, i wonder why they wont run) It's the best looking linux i saw
    Open Suse has issues in config manager (just keep freezing)

And i triend many others, linux has to make alot of improvements to make it perfect. It's far away compared to windows 7 in stability.

4. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    All Linux Ditro's that i've tried until now have some issues or bugs if you like that...Must to do some manually working to make them stable enough and to fullfill your wishes.The best is Ubuntu but I don't like speed and Unity.For speed and how-looks-like I used Manjaro and Elementary OS .I waiting for the last Elementary OS with will be based on Ubuntu 14.04.About OpenSuse: I don'T like it anymore: Too much hard manually working to make all things to function,too much permissions and security knows.

5. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #25 Michel, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    Elamantary OS is the only os i like in the lookings, it's a shame i can't get the native linux games to work on that distro. Sample Wasteland 2 from gog.com or XCOM :(. Maybe you can find out why those games don't run ?

As for manjaro i have that one on my usb stick and tried it for 1 hour, but i am scared to install it because of the issues with nvidia (screen freezing) :(. So far i only tried Debian based linux distro's (with exception of opensuse)

6. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Try this, based on my experience: Make sure that you have enabled 3-rd party software and optional updates during the setup of Linux Distro...This will solve many,many bugs..and after the installation finish do updates:from command center(Ubuntu) or some like that.This should be the first thing to do after the installation.Cheers!

7. software182

software182 MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2012
    Try BackBox Linux ! :cool:

8. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Already did that with elemantory os 0.2 and 0.3 but the games don't run. Try it your self, native games like wasteland 2 don't run

9. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I don't play games..:p

10. DiamondSoul

DiamondSoul MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2014
    Ubuntu 13.04LTS I guess:ill:

11. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    You mean Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or 14.04 LTS .I don't think that Ubuntu 13.04 LTS was long term support...:eek:

12. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #32 Michel, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    I know what the issue was haha, i needed to chmod alot of files. Wonder why i needed to do this manually in elemantary and not in mint. However running a game.x86 or game.x86_64 file does still not work on elemantary os. I tried to search on google and installed some ia32 packages but that did not fix it.

To bad Elemantary got so stripped, will look for another distro :(

13. mathan

mathan MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2009
    i use ubuntu / fedora

14. Northman

Northman MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2014
    is saw the video of "elementary OS" and looks really good ; in my desktop PC i'm using ubuntu 14.10 but i have to choose a distribution for my laptop..with kubuntu and lubuntu i got some problems with my network adapter (qualcom atheros) can, some of you give a suggest?..

cheers,
    northman

15. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #35 Michel, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    Hard to say, every distro is different. I am using Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon because i love everything about it (it's easy to use), specially when you come from windows. I also love Elemantary OS, but it's so stripped (programs removed) that i can't play some games on it (linux native games like wasteland 2, jagged alliance flashback)

You can also look for info about many distro's @distrowatch

16. wet sock

wet sock MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2014
    #37 wet sock, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    @Michel
    So all linux Distros are crap because they dont work great on all machines with their various graphic cards? How many laptops does Mac os work on? Considering the funding a lot of linux Distros have behind them I am amazed they work great on a lot of different hardware. But I always advise people to check and see if their hardware is suitable for running linux on. Just the same as you would check to see if your hardware can run the latest version of Windows.
    I do agree that some distros are not fully worked out. I must have been lucky as I have had far less problems using linux than I ever had on windows. I sometimes have to fix things on my friends computer (win7) although his laptop is far more powerful than mine in terms of memory and cpu it is so freeking slow sometimes! It makes me appreciate linux after a spell of using his laptop.
    I started on Linux Mint, then tried Crunchbang(debian based) but you get older software on debian. I am now on Arch and find it very stable.

17. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
  18. Bobby M.

Bobby M. MDL Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Linux Mint

19. wet sock

wet sock MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2014
    @Michel hmm you do seem to have tried a few and had issues, I must have struck lucky with the distros I tried and maybe they just liked my hardware. I have heard that some people have had issues with Nvidia cards. Trouble is so far companies like Nvidia don't really devote much time to co-operating with the linux world. Strange that Mint is the best for you as its the only one I tried that did crash on me a few times! Crunchang and Arch have been much more stable for me than Windows ever was. I guess Arch is not a one to try if you are newish to linux as far as the install goes but in use I find it simpler and so I am glad I gave it a try. I did use a script to install it that made it easy to install. I do think the number of Distros poping up is getting a bit silly but well you can't kill off free expression :bounce4: