Where is the best Linux ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Polyester, Sep 10, 2014.

1. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
  2. kanenses

kanenses MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2014

Yeps, Cinnamon version, have some issue with ati/amd at least in one of my PC's (Acer 5542G Mobility Radeon HD4570 and AMD Turion), breaks, freezes in youtube (html5 inclusive) and other small issues.

3. Eureka

Eureka MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2013
    Ubuntu and CentOS, My notebook, work pc are running CentOS 7, it works fine

4. YessMann

YessMann MDL Member

Nov 27, 2012
    The best ubuntu
    The worst ubuntu-kylin

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #85 hearywarlot, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    For me a build of ArchLinux, it helps you keep up with the new stuff that gets developed, is very fast and slim.

You will start from a TTY(CLI). From there you partition, mount, install to and configure basic stuff like accounts, networks and such.
    Afterwards you will be ready to restart the system and begin really modifying your install.

You may install your own packages, such as a Display Server (Such as Xorg or Wayland) a DE(Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon), DM (GDM, MDM, LightDM, SLim), firefox, vlc, etc.
    You may also need driver packages for some functions of your hardware, such as for a Synaptics touchpad or touchscreen: xf86-input-synaptics

Once you are done setting up everything correctly, you will have your own Arch build :3. It will contain only those things you have chosen and will have absolutely extra useless bloat.
    Getting applications is very easy and fast once you get used to the Terminal.
    You will need manually or automatically update the mirror lists for maximum speed and reability of package downloads though.

ArchLinux is a very bleeding edge(stable but may contain bugs) KISS based distro made for people who like to test the newest software, do things himself and learn more about how Linux works.
    It is not a distro made for people who want a ready made OS and be done with it, you need to want to be technical and solve problems yourself.
    You may find some help or instructions (Arch forums are very helpful), but that will be it, the rest will be you figuring it out.

If ArchLinux does not cut it, you may want to look at Ubuntu Mate or Linux Mint with Cinnamon. Those are quite good maintained distro's for Windows users.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    I'm giving it a second try after months of not using it. Basically I want to either make it or break it with Arch.

Yes. Mint over Ubuntu every day for switchers, but also for main stream linux users. I've been using Mint for a few years now, stable, easy to use for the first time, it's great.

7. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Yes indeed, when i find people using Windows XP, i suggest them to not continue using that obsolete OS, or they will suffere the consequenses.
    If they submit to me, i install Linux Mint Mate on it and they will love it >:D.
    I also make personal remasters of Linux mint which has upgraded packages included and some settings i want to be default, it shortens install time ^^.

If you are gonna try Arch again, be sure to follow the Wiki ( Beginners Guide ). It will really help you.
    Always make a secondary user. If needed, add it to Sudo. Never run as Root primary or you might risk damaging your system accidently or whenever a dangarous program/script gets in.
    At the end of the Guide you will find a link to the wiki part for extra modifications such as security, optimization, DE's and such.

8. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I like now Kubuntu 15.04 with Plasma 5 as default.Here are still buggs but....I never mind :D On my new Asus boots in few secs...etc.

9. Polyester

Polyester MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Is it safe?
    Don't install the anti-virus?

10. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Yes it's a lot safer than Windows even without an antivirus. Think about this: Linux dominates the Server market, which is the most desired targets for hackers. That said a lot for the security of Linux.

11. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008

Interesting. they are basically the same thing under the table. How come one is the best while the other is the worst?

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #92 Skaendo, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    This person is clearly misguided. Ubuntu-Kylin is and was developed for HPC. That is why it currently runs THE FASTEST computer in the WORLD right now.

13. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    this thread is almost one year old, at this time I suggest Linux from scratch compiled in a cluster of PlayStation 4.

14. 1619415

1619415 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2015
    It depends what you need, for an example Kali (Backtrack 5) is for penetration testing. Just google around for one that fits your needed. I would recommend Ubuntu though.

15. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  16. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    I got Ubuntu Mate, changed an answer and it became elementaryOS. :eek: