Which certificates should I delete?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetjock, Jun 1, 2018.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    While following up on a previous post about an Event Viewer warning, I have found something new. I am now getting this warning:

Log Name: System
    Source: Schannel
    Level: Warning
    Description:
    When asking for client authentication, this server sends a list of trusted certificate authorities to the client. The client uses this list to choose a client certificate that is trusted by the server. Currently, this server trusts so many certificate authorities that the list has grown too long. This list has thus been truncated. The administrator of this machine should review the certificate authorities trusted for client authentication and remove those that do not really need to be trusted.

I have gone in and deleted all of the certificates that had expired, but I still get this warning. When I look at all the current certificates, most of them are for things that I don't recognize and have no clue as to what they are for. What would happen if I just deleted all of them? Are they necessary? Suggestions?

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    certificates are generated for security reasons when you connect to a website with https. verify the validity , expiration date and so on. if problem persist then download it.