Which is best free program for file synchronization?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Jul 18, 2016.

1. banesi

banesi MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    SyncFolders wins, it's pure coding, small size and portable variant, thanks for this :worthy:

2. Drazick

Drazick MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2011
    If you want yo use FreeFileSync, I'd recommend using it PortableApps Edition - PortableApps FreeFileSync.

This is the last version with no shady things from the developer.

3. intruder16

intruder16 MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2014
    DirSync Pro.

Its free and open source. The best thing is its based on java so it's cross-platform file sync solution. Pretty powerful. Constantly updated since 2003. Using it for the past 10+ years. Give it a try you'll love it.

4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Unfortunately, the latest portable adware-free version seems to be 6.2 as compared to 8.10 for the installer.

5. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    jipp i'm with you.

-portable
    -cross plattform
    -very flexible
    -small (1mb)
    -cmd line support

6. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I'm looking for a program that will automatically copy any new files in e:\downloads to \\server\f:\downloads, so I will have access to all downloads on my server. I tried to do this with, I think, SyncBack, but I ended up syncing the two folders which pulled all the files from the server to e:\downloads. Anyone know how I can do this? Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    From its homepage, it looks promising and worth a try.

8. jgtoy

jgtoy MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Totally agree! I have been using Allway Sync for a long time and I love it.

9. ch4os

ch4os MDL Junior Member

Jan 9, 2010
    I personally use AOMEI Backupper Standard. It's a great tool for backups but it also has a feature for folder syncing ("File Sync"). You just set up all the folders and configure the scheduler. I use "Real-time Sync" which installs a lightweight service in the background that always syncs your folders to the destination. Works perfectly. It creates its own folder structure based on the job name on your destination though. If that doesn't bother you, you could give it a try.

10. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    I use FreeFileSync, the UI is good and intuitive, also it can sync with MTP devices.

11. bebondi

bebondi MDL Member

Apr 24, 2017
    I`m using Sync Back but is not free, this is the most reliable as i don`t trust free software devs as i suspect them of stealing and selling our data.

12. hpwamr

hpwamr MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2013
  13. Zot

Zot MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2015
    Usually people trust more what they are seeing than what they hearing, i think. Maybe you need to do some reading about difference between free software and freeware software.

14. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Following my previous post about my AV blocking installation of the updated FreeFilesync, a new updated has since appeared which passed my AV, so I am happy for the time being.

The main weakness I find with FreeFileSync is that it doesn't change both source and destination simultaneously, so if you're not careful you could synchronize to the wrong place and destroy what was there.

15. dbc629890bc0cd17e1b4f49c8

May 3, 2017
    robocopy is typically how windows admin type characters do this kind of thing. I can't speak to how well it works as I never use it.

I would use rsync in a cmd script since I already know it and it's dead useful in a 100 different I-need-to-sync-these-files-somewhere-but-some-special-condition situations and on every platform of significance but that's me.

16. stephenjones007

stephenjones007 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    #38 stephenjones007, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    I would like a software to sync in realtime a few sub folders of appdata/local in windows 10 but cant seem to find one. I tried crashplan but it does not have a proper way of syncing to a mounted nas. A few others I tried did not have the ability to select individual folders or provide realtime sync. Any suggestions?
    Ps. Just have a few programs that save their data to those folders which I why I would like to do this.

17. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Look into Second Copy. I use it to synchronize a folder on my laptop with a folder on my server - one way only. I had to look around quite a bit before I found a program that would do that easily.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. stephenjones007

stephenjones007 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks. I found one that works for me. Allway Sync. Took a bit of hunting too but it has 2 way sync.