Which is best free program for file synchronization?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Jul 18, 2016.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    A Sync Apps is to be used for to keep Data/Files on different locations at the same time (if auto-sync is running), or use manually syncing from time to time! For the later, a good Backup Apps would do a better job, because it's not synchronizing, it's copying (backup) data from 1 location to another in full, and/or new and changed data.

It's all about the scenario that action needs to be used on! If it's about synchronizing data from a shared Server with those workstations which working on the same files/data, a Sync Apps is recommended and very useful. Tha files/data are auto-updated on all the connected computers which running the Sync Apps.
    If the files/data are sent from a workstation to (let say) a NAS, I wouldn't use a Sync Apps I would use a Backup Apps, configured to a full backup of data (let say) once a month and at least daily backup of new and changed data!
    On a Server, I would have RAID One running at the absolute minimum! I would also have a Backup Apps running to one of the following storage devices: high capacity Tape (80GB or more per tape), BD (DL type media 50GB) or Data Storage Tower min. 4 Bay or 8 Bay RAID.
    It comes all about to WHAT such is needed, and how much the user would spend!

But, the question is starting with: "What's sufficient for my need, a Sync Apps, or a Backup Apps, or RAID!" Each has it's own Pro's and Con's!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    That's great. Well, I wanted one-way, because Second Copy copies any new files in my Downloads directory to my server. Then I periodically purge my Downloads directory, but the files are intact on the server.

Oops, I just noticed Free in the title. My bad. Second Copy is not free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jimmyhocky

jimmyhocky MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2017
    DSynchronize ía the best choice

4. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    #44 °ツ, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Did a backup of my SSD drive to a external HDD now, robocopy did a good job, no need for GUI tools.

Created a script now that does exactly what I want.

Code:
    robocopy D:\ E:\SSD_Backup /MIR /Z /FP /R:0 /W:0 /XD "$RECYCLE.BIN" "System Volume Information" /A-:SH /V /TEE /LOG:C:\RoboCopy.log
    type C:\RoboCopy.log | find "(0x" > C:\RoboCopyErrors.log
    type C:\RoboCopyErrors.log
    del C:\RoboCopy.log
    del C:\RoboCopyErrors.log
    pause

Code:
    /MIR - Mirrors a directory tree (equivalent to /e plus /purge).
    /Z - Copies files in Restart mode.
    /FP - Includes the full path names of the files in the output.
    /R:<N> - Specifies the number of retries on failed copies. The default value of N is 1,000,000 (one million retries).
    /W:<N> - Specifies the wait time between retries, in seconds. The default value of N is 30 (wait time 30 seconds).
    /XD - Excludes directories that match the specified names and paths.
    /A-:[RASHCNET] - Removes the specified attributes from copied files.
    /V - Produces verbose output, and shows all skipped files.
    /TEE - Writes the status output to the console window, as well as to the log file.
    /LOG:<LogFile> - Writes the status output to the log file (overwrites the existing log file).
    type | find "(0x" > - Will filter out errors from the log file and write it to a new file, the rest of the code will print the error(s) (files that could not be copied) (if there is any) in the CMD window and then delete both log files.

5. asabater

asabater MDL Member

Sep 6, 2008
  6. hotmusik4u

hotmusik4u MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2018
    FreeFileSync(Freeware) or SyncFolders(Portable, Freeware). FreeFileSync is faster than all tools I saw till now.

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I seriously doubt a script can reproduce either the functionality or the ease of use of a full-blown specialized tool. Even the latter could do with improvements and undergo frequent updates.

I’ve ended up using the free FreeFileSync, which I see still gets favorable comments here. So it is a good and fast tool, but...

It’s main disadvantage is the adware contained in the installer, which needs unticking. But though this sounds like no problem, in fact it is, because some antivirus tools, including my Avira, now stop it from updating. It allowed its installation back then and also the first update. But for some time now it’s blocking all further updates. Of course, I can disable the antivirus and do the job, but that’s against my principles, even if in this case it seems justified. So I prefer to do without the updates, and I’m glad to say the program continues to function flawlessly.

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I revive this old thread to inform that FreeFileSync has just brought out new version 10, which no longer has adware bundled with it. Of course, you could easily avoid the adware before by unticking the box, but some antivirus tools were blocking installation.

I add that I have been using it with satisfactory results and consequently recommend it.

9. PocketAppZ

PocketAppZ MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2012
    I use DSynchronize and also recommend WinDataReflector

10. Marcustv

Marcustv MDL Junior Member

Jun 7, 2015
    I use SmartSync Pro
    Very nice program

11. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Robocopy /MIR

12. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    54 messages and not a single mention to the most obvious choice, the microsoft synctoys.

It's small quick, and never fails. Just like any other utility developed inside MS for fun and not as a big project.

13. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Which translated in plain English means NOTHING

First because supported means nothing in general.

Second because the Synctoys are more a personal project than a company backed sw.

I think I don't sleep tonight after such terrible news :D

So you discovered Google, I think other people discovered it as well...:p

14. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I switched from Second Copy to SyncBackFree.

15. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    You failed to provide a download link, and I did.

My post was positive and not unfriendly, rather the opposite of yours.

You be you, I definitely wouldn't want to.

16. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Come on. Take the life with a bit of more lightness, we are talking about of a stupid utility, not about the life the universe and everything... :D

Feel free to behave like you prefer.

Personally I prefer to help people but not spoon them. I always provide the relevant info, then is up to the reader to go deeper, search buttons and search engines are there for a reason...

In short I didn't "fail", I didn't post the link on purpose.;)

17. bobkush

bobkush MDL Novice

May 22, 2017
    I recommend a FREE file syncronization program called SyncBackFree. I have been using this freeware version of SyncBack for over 6 months now and am amazed how useful, efficient and powerful it is.
    One-click and all my files are backed up and synchronized. I never have to worry about backing up my files again.

The 2brightsparks website describes this freeware:
    "SyncBackFree has been around since 2003. This world class free backup and sync software has undergone major upgrades since it started life as "SyncBack" freeware and now sports a superb array of options and features, including: Backup. Synchronize: Copy files in both directions. Restore backup files easily.

Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows are supported."

If you need additional features - a professional version is also available.