Which Linux text editor saves files in format that is Windows notepad-compatible?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by win8netuser, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    ?Why... ?How...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    if you make one mistake, like edit some file with sudo or gksudo kdesudo you may end up in deep deep trouble.
    viz.
    my friend edited the fstab and removed the /dev/sda1 which is boot.
    and it choked and another friend edited /etc/shadow using visudo and he was locked out.
    and another friend tried to play with pam.d/ and was forced to remove all settings, he wanted blowfish as the
    auth mechanism and he tried to edit using gksudo gedit /etc/pam.d/common-password
    bad idea! i think you get the idea.

i have seen many starters make blunders and then fix it using safe user or in recovery mode. and sometime
    you may for some reason type rm -rf (your dream files/partitions) and enjoy the disneyland joy ride. or even
    worse the dd if=/dev/zero of=file/partition or worst wipe -crfi /file/and/or/partition by mistake with both su and sudo
    and with gksudo/kdesudo or gksu/kdesu you are enabling QT/GTK environment, un-necessary.

i will not edit/modify anything with su/sudo unless its an absolute necessary.
    i dont recommend users who ask me for help to use gksudo/gksu and kdesudo/kdesu unless its an
    absolute necessary

human being is prone to error, forgiving is not a machine policy. unless you know and dead sure of what you are doing?
    dont fix whats not broken. unless you love adventure ;-) in that case you got my green signal.

thanks!
    -paul

3. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    yeah, sure, that would work on the linux side

4. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    hehehe. :p:D
    thanks!
    -paul

5. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    Hello and thanks very much everyone. I don't now why replies did not get me an email alert, I did not realize there had been all these answers since my last post! I've been too busy lately to check at the board itself, and have been content lately to run Hiren's CD from a flashdrive, which allows me to boot and use a laptop independently of the OS installed on its own HDD, and it does have Notepad, so in the short term, it enabled me to do in a jiffy what I've been wanting to do with a Linux flash drive, as far a text files are concerned...

On a longer term and broader view, I'm still trying to choose a Linux distro, all I know is that it will probably be Debian-based.
    Also, I saw recently, that there is a Linux installer for Notepad++:
    That would solve everything, if I could simply use the same program in both native Linux (without having to install Wine) and in Windows, and have my text files appear the same in both versions, (seems too good to be true?).

I do have a functional Lubuntu flashdrive with which I plan to try out the solutions proposed so far in this post, as well as the Windows suggestions, I just have been so busy, hope to get to that soon.
    Will reply to posts in better detail soon. Thanks again

6. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
  7. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    Thanks - this sceenshot looks real good, very functional; which version & flavor of Linux is it?

8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    That's Mint 16 - NB Libre Writer handles these files just as well.. best you get some first hand experience with it and see what you are comfortable with.. if you hit a stumbling block.. we can then sort it out. Good luck on your quest :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. CaffeinePizza

CaffeinePizza MDL Junior Member

May 19, 2013
    Most if not all text editors in Linux, especially gedit, allow you to change the encoding from Unix/Linux to Windows/DOS in the "Save As" menu.

The reason that it's incompatible is because Unix/Linux return codes for each line is different from the ones that DOS and Windows use.

10. Emildean

Emildean MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2014
    gedit or emacs

11. win8netuser

win8netuser MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2014
    Sorry O've been so long away,taking care of some problems... Your answer was the most useful to me, so quick and easy, and solving several issues.
    I installed Linux Mint 16 and got with it, the file manager I had been longing for, and the text editor I needed, Pluma!
    Can't remember if it was Cinnamon I installed or Matte, but I think it was Cinnamon.
    I can't get permanence though so I'll start a new thread for that issue when I have time.
    Thanks again Superfly! :worthy:
    I appreciated also the learned answers in this thread which were above my head and I might get back to explore them more some day.
    So thanks everyone:)

12. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    You are welcome buddy, Haven't been around here for a while... but if it's working for you after almost a year...great stuff.. :biggrin:

13. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    gedit, which is the standard text editor in ubuntu builds and most other debian builds can be used in windows.

there is a gedit download for windows which will do exactly what you want.

aside from that you don't need any other program, period.

notepad can open and edit any gedit text file. just right-click, open with, and choose notepad, done. it's really that easy and absolutely no need for any other program.

now, concerning end-of-line formatting, which is totally different and has nothing to do with opening and editing a file, there will be problems, but this won't matter for you unless the said text file is a script meant to be run in a linux environment, then you will have trouble...